UCONN Football subject of article this morning in NY Post sports section | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN Football subject of article this morning in NY Post sports section

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Actually, I agree with you here. Edsall had taken the program as far as he was going to. But it's clear to me now that P isn't the right man for the job. I hope I'm wrong and we surprise. I will eat all the crow I need to. But Perno hung on way too long. (And people forget the only reason he got fired at that time was because of Earl Kelley's problems with the law.) We can't afford a similar situation here.
Perno got fired because he couldn't win in the Big East. If he wasn't a favorite son, he would have gotten the axe sooner.

Reaction Score
I don't think Wholley gets enough credit for his recruiting. This isn't the first positive comment I've seen spoken about him.

The three players lauded the dogged (pun intended?) recruiting job by Wholley and comfort they felt at the school at the time of their commitments.

Reaction Score
Adams committed when Edsall was the coach.

If that's the case, you can only count last year's true freshmen plus about 3 guys from the previous class as P recruits. To criticize the fact that a bunch of freshmen didn't make a significant impact is unfair, regardless of how one feels about P.

Reaction Score
10-14 is all we can focus on. I don't care about anything else. And, we easily should have been bowling both years. In 2011, we should have beaten Vandy and Western Michigan and probably should have beaten Iowa St. In 2012, Temple should have been a W as should have Western Michigan, a game that UCONN was uninspired for even though they beat UConn at UConn the previous year. I do give PP somewhat of a pass on the lack of RBs in 2011, but you can't give him a pass not finding a couple of RBs that could contribute in 2012. And, how can you overlook the OL going from one of UConn's greatest strengths to perhaps it's greatest weakness. As for recruiting and developing players, we have no idea how good or bad PP has done and we won't know for a few years. In my opinion, Edsall did a great job recruiting except at QB, where he failed miserably. I don't buy that UConn lacked depth. Edsall recruited/developed players for the NFL at RB, FB, WR, OL, DL, LB, CB, and safety and he did it consistently.

8-4 or we need to make a change to rejuvenate the program.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
1) wholley was responsible for over 10 kids last year in the class. the guy is improving every day on the trail and his focus is nyc and ct. he was the man for 2 players that flipped to us even tho the sites showed a certain old mans name as the primary recruiter. wholley puts in all the hard work. he is one of very few on that campus i will defend every second.
2) #FCUSE
3) our recruiting has gotten better. not a crazy amount better but a small #uptick under P. i want him gone you all know that but i have to be honest also. i think its a combo of his connections and uconn being a older brand to kids now. its not the stars. its where the kids are coming from town/hs wise. its also other offers. a lot more kids we are landing have another offer or 2. what that means is another bcs school or fcs saw talent also. RE used to land kids with no offers, some mac offers, a select few with bcs offers and 1 major kid with a ton of bcs offers. then some one would say well the class overall had 23 bcs offers. yea but 15 of them were for 1 kid....what P is landing is more of bottom kids having fcs/mac type offers and a lot of kids having scatters bcs offers and no real 1 stud with 10+. the class may have the same 23 bcs offers as a RE class but the spread is much better so we see more depth is quality athletes. P is also doing a good job size wise. He has clearly picked it up in CT. i mean this is now the 3rd year in a row that a CT qb with other offers picked uconn. i would say marchi is the best but there seems to be some stiff competition from linta and barmore and cioffi look to be below bcs quality d1 kids as of now. that can not be ignored. maybe its time i do a full out recruiting post to show you guys. P has us slowly climbing up recruiting wise.

my fear is that this winter we hit a road block because of the 5-7 back to back and the small class we need. i don't like the strategy a whole lot so far but hey....when the 24th hits lets see how many slots of 15 we have filled. it scares me this year that we have smalls slots while both ct, nyc and ma are each going to put 10+ out bcs wise. thats a lot of kids then uconn will not be in on. i don't want to lose momentum.

my god we need a ace recruiter and a play caller. chesus. we so close but so far under p it just makes me more crazy by the minute. i want to score 50 every game. i want to land the best kids in the region. i want d tackles to be doing dances over qbs after sacking them. i want the ncaa to have to warn up weekly about our behavior on the fields. i want teams to sit on there bench toe tapping scared watching us do highlight dunks in warmups and running the ball down there throats during games. i want flashy, crazy cool uniforms and i want them to be drenched in the smell of rabbit and squirrel blood. i want commercials. many of them. billboards. car stickers. i want big boy stuff.

but none of this will happen at uconn because we have a couple of idiots in power....

Reaction Score
If that's the case, you can only count last year's true freshmen plus about 3 guys from the previous class as P recruits. Yeah, I pretty much think that is the case. To criticize the fact that a bunch of freshmen didn't make a significant impact is unfair, regardless of how one feels about P. You're misunderstanding me. I'm not criticizing the fact that a bunch of true freshmen didn't make an impact. It's a response to the crowd who states that our recruiting has undeniably improved under P and if you don't believe that you are an idiot hater.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I love the article. Obviously anything that puts us in a positive light is great, but the fact that our name is getting pushed in the Big Apple is the goal in my mind. Not just from a recruiting standpoint, not just from an audience standpoint, but also from a conference standpoint. A large and positive image in NYC equals a large and positive image nationally...

Reaction Score
Funny - because August 29th is all I can focus on, and we're 0-0 in 2013. But that's just how I'm wired. I"ve analyzed and thought about where we were at, what was good, and what wasn't, and choose to focus on what we're doing now, and what's going on is that we've got a roster that has been assembled over two years, in their summer offseason, preparing for a very, very, very competitive schedule, while we're in the middle of recruiting season and football camp season for a very small true freshmen, fall-incoming recruiting class. We've hooked a QB for the 2014 class, and we've got a lineup of players that are stacked up to come in both in fall, and then again in the spring to restock for spring practice, after the graduating seniors are done (which is something that in the past - well go back and check and see what kinds of players we had filling out spring practices in the past)

That's reality of where we are at right now. Facts.

My opinion is that the roster from top down and sideways is bigger, faster, and stronger than ever before. It's debateable, which is why it's an opinion, and not a fact.

My opinion is that a winning season, competiting for an AAC conference title, and a spot in the post season is the goal for the season, and not only is it the goal, as it should be every season, it's more than realistic that we get there, it's expected to be reached.

Back to reality and facts though, the fact is that if we are as inconsistent on the field on game day as we were in the past 2 seasons, we will not reach those goals.

Last fact - becoming consistent on the game fields, is about being consistent in everything you do on the practice fields.

Last opinion - 2013 is the first year, in several years - going back to about 2009 or so, where the scout team, freshmen, redshirts and practice players are the kind of quality that our starters will see regularly on game day. And having that in practice every day, is a very important thing to developing the consistency you need to compete and win regularly.

Have a nice day all. Going sailing.

Reaction Score
1) wholley was responsible for over 10 kids last year in the class. the guy is improving every day on the trail and his focus is nyc and ct. he was the man for 2 players that flipped to us even tho the sites showed a certain old mans name as the primary recruiter. wholley puts in all the hard work. he is one of very few on that campus i will defend every second.
2) #FCUSE
3) our recruiting has gotten better. not a crazy amount better but a small #uptick under P. i want him gone you all know that but i have to be honest also. i think its a combo of his connections and uconn being a older brand to kids now. its not the stars. its where the kids are coming from town/hs wise. its also other offers. a lot more kids we are landing have another offer or 2. what that means is another bcs school or fcs saw talent also. RE used to land kids with no offers, some mac offers, a select few with bcs offers and 1 major kid with a ton of bcs offers. then some one would say well the class overall had 23 bcs offers. yea but 15 of them were for 1 kid....what P is landing is more of bottom kids having fcs/mac type offers and a lot of kids having scatters bcs offers and no real 1 stud with 10+. the class may have the same 23 bcs offers as a RE class but the spread is much better so we see more depth is quality athletes. P is also doing a good job size wise. He has clearly picked it up in CT. i mean this is now the 3rd year in a row that a CT qb with other offers picked uconn. i would say marchi is the best but there seems to be some stiff competition from linta and barmore and cioffi look to be below bcs quality d1 kids as of now. that can not be ignored. maybe its time i do a full out recruiting post to show you guys. P has us slowly climbing up recruiting wise.

my fear is that this winter we hit a road block because of the 5-7 back to back and the small class we need. i don't like the strategy a whole lot so far but hey....when the 24th hits lets see how many slots of 15 we have filled. it scares me this year that we have smalls slots while both ct, nyc and ma are each going to put 10+ out bcs wise. thats a lot of kids then uconn will not be in on. i don't want to lose momentum.

my god we need a ace recruiter and a play caller. chesus. we so close but so far under p it just makes me more crazy by the minute. i want to score 50 every game. i want to land the best kids in the region. i want d tackles to be doing dances over qbs after sacking them. i want the ncaa to have to warn up weekly about our behavior on the fields. i want teams to sit on there bench toe tapping scared watching us do highlight dunks in warmups and running the ball down there throats during games. i want flashy, crazy cool uniforms and i want them to be drenched in the smell of rabbit and squirrel blood. i want commercials. many of them. billboards. car stickers. i want big boy stuff.

but none of this will happen at uconn because we have a couple of idiots in power....

At least those idiots will be at the game.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
At least those idiots will be at the game.

thats nice. last i heard the reason the b10 didn't like us was because our tv ratings weren't high enough so ill be watching helping that stat. least this idiot is helping a stat that is needed. see 2 can play that game.

Reaction Score
No, he really has not.

P has recruited more QB talent in the last 24 months than Edsall did in his last 9 years. And yes we are winning more battles for kids with multiple offers and for the first time ever the roster is completely stocked, we're even over the limit, Edsall always had extra scholarships to hand out to walkons, those days are long gone, but whatever, in your world everything I just wrote is wrong.

Reaction Score
The only thing the P people have to hang their hat on is he's recruiting better, which there is zero tangible, concrete evidence of. He's consistently failed the basic game day coaching, time-management test and allowing GDL free reign with the offense is almost fireable in itself.

All that said, I'm willing to call a cease fire until I see how much freedom TJ is actually given play-calling and time-out calling wise. To be honest, I want to see an uptempo offense from the first snap against Towson (none of this 'we don't want to show all our cards' nonsense). IMO the tone will be set in the first half that night, regardless of the quality of the opposition. Any 'turtling' that night will be a huge red flag.

The awkwardness of this coaching arrangement next year concerns me. If PP is the 'great guy' most think he is apart from his ability to coach, he'll let TJ do his thing. Just as long as GDL isn't anywhere near a headset.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
One of my friends went to Wholley's wedding and his wife's bachelorette. No doubt the guy can recruit.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
thats nice. last i heard the reason the b10 didn't like us was because our tv ratings weren't high enough so ill be watching helping that stat. least this idiot is helping a stat that is needed. see 2 can play that game.

How about leave your TV on and go to the game anyway. Win-win.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
3p55jp.jpg

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How about leave your TV on and go to the game anyway. Win-win.

If you've just left your TV on you've done nothing but waste electricity. If you aren't a Neilsen household you aren't impacting ratings.

Reaction Score
If you've just left your TV on you've done nothing but waste electricity. If you aren't a Neilsen household you aren't impacting ratings.

I remember Nielsen tried to recruit in the mid 90's. Sent a new, crisp one dollar bill in the mail. I never followed through. My nephew works for Nielsen now out of shelton. Entry level stuff but fascinating non the less.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I remember Nielsen tried to recruit in the mid 90's. Sent a new, crisp one dollar bill in the mail. I never followed through. My nephew works for Nielsen now out of shelton. Entry level stuff but fascinating non the less.

They still send those dollars from what I understand. I knew a family that was a Neilsen household and I swear they claimed they paid their cable bill.

Reaction Score

This place is a clear waste of electricity. But that doesn't stop any of us. :)

Reaction Score
The P can do nothing right crowd won't like this because it doesn't fit squarely into their agenda box.

P has significantly improved recruiting, he needs to produce on the field this year or he is gone, but he has already proven himself as a recruiter.

Really? Which of his recruits are performing on the field?

Reaction Score
No, he really has not. Are our classes ranked significantly higher by the services? Are we landing more kids with multiple BCS offers? Other than Whitmer, has any P recruit really made a significant impact on the field of play?

Actually, I believe last year's class did feature significantly more kids who had good BCS offers, though I admit I'm not a recruiting maven. But that was the impression I got.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying you are wrong, but that's the line of BS that we've been fed. The 2011 class redshirted their first year and were back-ups last year. They haven't, as a class, made a meaningful contribution.

I'm not a PP guy, but in fairness, 2011 was not really his class; with the possible exception of late LB signees from Georgia. The classes on which PP should be evaluated are 2012 (sophs/RS frosh) and this year's incoming kids. There are enough PP negatives without hammering him on stuff that hasn't happen yet.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'm not a PP guy, but in fairness, 2011 was not really his class; with the possible exception of late LB signees from Georgia. The classes on which PP should be evaluated are 2012 (sophs/RS frosh) and this year's incoming kids. There are enough PP negatives without hammering him on stuff that hasn't happen yet.

Again, that's the line we as fans are being fed and I agree that we cannot evaluate Coach Pasqualoni either negatively or positively as a recruiter until his guys contribute to the product on the field. Some people go by Rivals, or Scouts.com star ratings. I don't. You cannot tell me that those guys have tape on every 17 year old in the nation. There are surely short cuts being taken (i.e. sources in the 'Bama SDI department leaking where Saban is heading this weekend). 'Bama interest is automatically good for 3 stars and will go up from there.

I make my judgment of a recruiting class from my seat on the 30 yard line or from my couch (away games) 2-3 years later. Recruiting-wise, Coach Pasqualoni gets an Incomplete. As a coach he gets a D+. A college coach who is actually in his element employs a system flexible enough to take advantage of his current players' talents. I think Coach Pasqualoni spent too much time in the NFL around ready made All-Pro tight ends who he is able to coach for more than 4 years. In my amateurish opinion, college is more of a one night stand than it is a long term relationship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom