OT: - UConn football coach Randy Edsall announces retirement [edit] Now effective immediately | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: UConn football coach Randy Edsall announces retirement [edit] Now effective immediately

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
First day on the Boneyard? I guess you’ve never seen the snark towards the multi-national championship winning women’s team on the men’s board or football board.
I wish our "fanbase" would root for all the teams or at least be neutral and not add to the negativity. You can favor the women over the men, baseball over football, but I don't get the rooting against part.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I wish our "fanbase" would root for all the teams or at least be neutral and not add to the negativity. You can favor the women over the men, baseball over football, but I don't get the rooting against part.
Who in this thread is rooting against the football team? You should go over to the football board and scold the posters that are still talking about dropping to FCS so they can get pounded a couple times a year for the appearance money.

People here might be ragging on Edsall but most are fans of the team.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Who in this thread is rooting against the football team? You should go over to the football board and scold the posters that are still talking about dropping to FCS so they can get pounded a couple times a year for the appearance money.

People here might be ragging on Edsall but most are fans of the team.
Trust me, I have. When I read they should go to FCS, that is when they stop being a fan of the team.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don't think UConn is paying Yale enough of a guarantee for Yale to beat them, just $285,000. The week before U Mass is paying UConn a guarantee of just $150,000.

Have at the list, its dizzying

This is fascinating and bizarre. When you throw in the Holy Cross payout, it appears that UConn FB paid out a little over $1.5 million for teams to travel to Storrs, while recouping approximately $1.5 million by playing on the road.

It points out a significant challenge to being a football independent. Not only do you have to scrounge up 12 opponents, but you also have to reasonably balance your payouts against your receipts. When you’re in a conference, you play the same teams every year, alternating home and away, with no payouts involved.

Reaction Score
UConn was, and is, a national brand in basketball, but never football. For coaches, UConn football was just a stepping stone up to a more respected program. Even Edsall left after a modicum of success. Basketball needs only a few good players to become successful- a football team needs dozens. Why would any HS player who wants to get the respect needed to make the pros think of coming to UConn- especially new.

It was hubris that UConn could ever compete with the many established top D1 programs. UConn can not even compete with a Holy Cross, I do not see UConn as having any level of success unless they play E. O. Smith or Windham.

I say this with a great deal of sadness because my father played on he UConn team that beat Brown in the thirties. I would travel with him to the Yale games and watched countless games from the hill. BUt, UConn should just give up the ghost and drop football and put the money to better use.

Reaction Score
yea I just posted a couple things in the football forum and ppl were very rude, unlike here in the wbb board yea there's some disagreements but never gets malicious or people try to scold others about their opinion. Glad to be here and not over there from now on

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Whatever you guys do, don't let your admin hire Will Muschamp; he is a dumpster fire.

It's nearly impossible to win as an FBS Independent in this day and age; even ND struck a partial deal with the ACC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
yea I just posted a couple things in the football forum and ppl were very rude, unlike here in the wbb board yea there's some disagreements but never gets malicious or people try to scold others about their opinion. Glad to be here and not over there from now on
Consider the psychology of the followings of the 2 teams. One made to suffer historically bad football over the few years after showing signs of moderate success. The other blessed to enjoy once-in-a-lifetime historical success in women's basketball since 1995. So yeah, there's some bitter posters there. Some who ironically migrate from the basketball boards, just to whine.

When people live with success, it's easy to be placid. When there's chaos? Other way around.

Reaction Score
This is fascinating and bizarre. When you throw in the Holy Cross payout, it appears that UConn FB paid out a little over $1.5 million for teams to travel to Storrs, while recouping approximately $1.5 million by playing on the road.

It points out a significant challenge to being a football independent. Not only do you have to scrounge up 12 opponents, but you also have to reasonably balance your payouts against your receipts. When you’re in a conference, you play the same teams every year, alternating home and away, with no payouts involved.
Bizarre is the key word. 6 road games and $1.5 million might cover travel expenses. Take out Clemson's $900,000 guarantee, then you have 5 road games taking in $600,000.

Being a football independent, extremely difficult. Years ago Miami could do it. ND can do it cuz they probably get 10 times the TV revenue that UConn gets and they get to keep 100% of the bowl revenue.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Bizarre is the key word. 6 road games and $1.5 million might cover travel expenses. Take out Clemson's $900,000 guarantee, then you have 5 road games taking in $600,000.

Being a football independent, extremely difficult. Years ago Miami could do it. ND can do it cuz they probably get 10 times the TV revenue that UConn gets and they get to keep 100% of the bowl revenue.
ND is not quite an independent. The Irish signed a deal with the ACC through 2036 with most sports teams, except football, playing an ACC conference schedule. Football remains an independent but agrees to play a minimum of 5 ACC opponents per season.

As an independent, the Irish are still eligible for the BCS national championship. Lastly, if ND Football wants to join a conference, per their deal with the ACC, the only conference that they can join is the ACC through 2036.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The football program is a joke. UCONN (the way it stands now) will never, ever, be invited to a major conference in spite of the tremendous pedigree of numerous other sports (both men and women) in the athletic department. It's truly unfortunate. They shot themselves in the foot back when the invites to the ACC were on the line when they went after BCU and subsequently were black balled from joining a great conference at that time.

Reaction Score
I dont think UConn has much of a chance to be competitive in football & get invited to a P5 conference. Even if you get a good coach, it will take years to recruit quality depth on both sides of the ball. In retrospective, I dont think joining the Big East was an overall "win" for UConn sports. Its arguable that it helped the basketball programs, but did irrevocable damage to football. The question now is the financial ramifications of a "loss-leader" football program to the rest of UConn sports. This could be a major blow for UConn athletics in general a few years from now. The AD's job should be on the line.

Reaction Score
Have written this previously but wondering what the pros and cons are of UConn football moving back to FCS Division. Very difficult for New England team to recruit and there are a number of natural competitors at this level.
At this point it's pretty much FBS or bust. Going from FBS to FCS is kind of like going from Broadway to Dinner Theater.

Reaction Score
Most games are not payouts. Only happen when you want to play a team at home only and not do a home & home series.

Reaction Score
6 not 7 figures. $900,000
Was originally $1.2M, but UConn got its Wyoming game without having to do a payout. (Clemson hooked up WY & CT after cancelling its WY game but still paying WY $1M).

So UConn gets 2 stand alone games and a net of $900k, which is pretty darn good.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I dont think UConn has much of a chance to be competitive in football & get invited to a P5 conference. Even if you get a good coach, it will take years to recruit quality depth on both sides of the ball. In retrospective, I dont think joining the Big East was an overall "win" for UConn sports. Its arguable that it helped the basketball programs, but did irrevocable damage to football. The question now is the financial ramifications of a "loss-leader" football program to the rest of UConn sports. This could be a major blow for UConn athletics in general a few years from now. The AD's job should be on the line.
UConn football was 0-16 in its last two years in the AAC. What exactly was the thing that was damaged?

The P5 ship had sailed a long time ago. The move to the Big East was merely a belated recognition of that fact. No amount of (hypothetical) winning seasons in the football program was ever going to change it either.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I don't think UConn is paying Yale enough of a guarantee for Yale to beat them, just $285,000. The week before U Mass is paying UConn a guarantee of just $150,000.

Have at the list, its dizzying

These guarantee games reminds me of the time East Carolina paid NC A&T (FCS) $300,000 and travel expenses to go down to Greenville. A&T came away with the upset.. and after the game, the Aggie coach gave a spirited locker room speech culminating with this.... :D:D:D:D

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
UConn has/is/will be a basketball first school. Gonzaga and Villanova for two are the same.
If...as a top level basketball player [guy or gal]... you want to play at a football first school then those 2 and UConn aren't good matches. But if hoops is your thing then UConn might be well in the picture....with a combined men/women program second to....uhh...nobody.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Most games are not payouts. Only happen when you want to play a team at home only and not do a home & home series.
9 of 12 UConn games involve payouts, one way or the other. The only games that do not involve payouts are vs Purdue, Wyoming & Vanderbilt.

Surprisingly, even UMass, another independent that UConn should play home & home every season, is paying $150,000 for UConn to travel to MA for an away game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If the SEC growth and B1G/ACC/PAC12 alliance actually amount to anything, the P5 might be meaningless in the next few years anyway.

Reaction Score
Was originally $1.2M, but UConn got its Wyoming game without having to do a payout. (Clemson hooked up WY & CT after cancelling its WY game but still paying WY $1M).

So UConn gets 2 stand alone games and a net of $900k, which is pretty darn good.
It is pretty darn good until you start to spend it. A charter to carry a football team and staff and equipment starts at about $30k/hour. This includes onloading and offloading and airport delays etc. Throw in hotel, ground transportation, security (ever see state troopers on the field with coaches?) and per diem and the cash register does not stop.

Someone at U Mass is a better negotiator, because they are collecting $1.5 million from Florida State.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom