OT: - UConn football coach Randy Edsall announces retirement [edit] Now effective immediately | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: UConn football coach Randy Edsall announces retirement [edit] Now effective immediately

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There is a flashing red light on UConn’s schedule for a Nov 13 game in Death Valley against Clemson. I sure hope the Tigers are paying UConn 7-figures for the privilege of gobsmacking the Huskies.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Shame on all of you on this women's board for snarking at the football program. You should want all facets of the university to do well. The day Geno hangs it up, we will have a huge hole to fill. And g-d forbid we come back to the pack, you won't see a real UConn fan laughing at what some of you post.

Reaction Score
Shame on all of you on this women's board for snarking at the football program. You should want all facets of the university to do well. The day Geno hangs it up, we will have a huge hole to fill. And g-d forbid we come back to the pack, you won't see a real UConn fan laughing at what some of you post.
When this happens the board will disappear

Reaction Score
Several decades ago I was watching the ABC Evening News when I was surprised to hear that the little D3 college I attended was mentioned in the last "human interest" type story of the evening. As it turned out, my alma mater had broken the longest college football losing streak in the nation by battling to a tie in a game against some other school I've long since forgotten. So I'm tempted to say it could be worse for UConn.

Reaction Score
There is a flashing red light on UConn’s schedule for a Nov 13 game in Death Valley against Clemson. I sure hope the Tigers are paying UConn 7-figures for the privilege of gobsmacking the Huskies.
6 not 7 figures. $900,000

U Mass gets $1.5 million to go to FSU in Oct

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Just took a look at the rest of UConn’s FB schedule to see if there’s a possibility of a W during the remainder of the season. The best chances are vs UMass & Yale. But I certainly wouldn’t bet the farm on a UConn win in either game.
Morale may be in the toilet by then, and the players are merely playing out the season. I read some of the comments from long time "hardcore" UConn boosters and fans in the chatroom during the game. Doom and gloom filled the room. There has got to be a "workable" solution to this dilemma. What is it? Obviously the process the administration has been using IS NOT working.

Time to use a different approach. I wonder if the administration would consider the idea of temporarily hiring 3 former championship winning football coaches (retired) on retainer, bring them in to form a "think tank", and offer some ideas and a consensus suggestion/plan to revive its football program. Former coaches that have experienced the pinnacle of success, and know exactly what it takes to form and build a winning program. The money spent now on this endeavor would be recouped down the road in increased ticket and merchandise sales during home games and TV revenue. Build it, and they will come.

Basically go outside of the program for help. There's no shame in asking for help. The first step for a recovering alcoholic or drug addict in any rehabilitation program is to "publicly" admit they are an alcoholic/addict. The first thing the administration will have to do is admit they need help, then ask for it. Because what they've been doing IS NOT working.

The football program is no better off now than it was 5 years ago. It's stuck in a spin cycle of hapless mediocrity. :( UConn wants to attract the best players available, but those players are going to other programs. Nobody wants to play for a loser. How do you sell a 1-9 or 0-10 program to a potential recruit?

There is still a myriad of fans, boosters and supporters (current students) that would get firmly behind a plan to return UConn football back to prominence. It's still not too late to remove this program from the "intensive care unit." The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step. The administration needs to take that first step in the right direction. What do they have to lose? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Just took a look at the rest of UConn’s FB schedule to see if there’s a possibility of a W during the remainder of the season. The best chances are vs UMass & Yale. But I certainly wouldn’t bet the farm on a UConn win in either game.
Yale is no pushover.

I might to go to UConn-UCF game in November to show the players my support. UCF usually sells out home game tickets but I’m guessing there should be plenty available for this game.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
First day on the Boneyard? I guess you’ve never seen the snark towards the multi-national championship winning women’s team on the men’s board or football board.

Reaction Score
Several years ago, I suggested that UConn follow in the footsteps of another school whose football program was anemic and on life support. South Carolina decided to go all in (Jim Fassel), and push all of their chips to the center of the table.

They hired a head football coach (Steve Spurrier) who came in and resuscitated the program, and lifted it to a top 5 national ranking. How much longer is UConn football going to stay mired in mediocrity? What’s the definition of insanity? In spite of the efforts to improve the program, the results of the last two gams is very disappointing.

Even the most ardent and loyal fans can only take so much. I dr into the chat room at the beginning of the game to learn what the long time fans were thinking. Their comments were not good. Is that the approach the administration has been taking with the football program? You decide.
We beat Steve Spurrier and South Carolina

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

All? The (mostly misguided) posts by a few in this thread hardly represent the views of the majority who post here. Also, nothing said here hasn't been said on the football board.

Reaction Score
It’s only a matter of time before the power conferences split away from the NCAA and form their own division for all sports. They will have their own tournaments for all sports, not just football. Enjoy UConn basketball while it lasts. Soon we will go the way of Latech, Old Diminion, and other once powerful basketball programs that became casualties of conference realignment.

Reaction Score
Early season football guarantees usually ensure a win.

UConn football was not the only team to pay out a large guarantee and get beat.
Georgia Tech paid Northern Illinois $1 million and lost.
Illinois paid the Citadel $400,000 and lost
Washington paid Montana $675,000 and lost.
Vanderbilt paid East Tenn $ 415,000 and 60 hotel rooms and lost.

I would score that FCS 5 FBS 0
Actually, Illinois lost to UTSA, not the Citadel. UTSA is in Conference USA (FBS)
Also Northern Illinois is in the MAC (also FBS)

So the score is only FCS 3 FBS 0

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
We beat Steve Spurrier and South Carolina
And it can be done again!! :) But first you have to beat the Holy Crosses in the FCS. Let’s do this!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Actually, Illinois lost to UTSA, not the Citadel. UTSA is in Conference USA (FBS)

Your right, it was Texas San Antonio. I was going on memory from USA today

Reaction Score

UC Davis beat Tulsa
E Washington beat UNLV

so it's 5 FCS wins this weekend

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

@ed4ourgirls forgot to add UNLV paying 500K to Eastern Washington and lost in double overtime 35-33 two weeks ago.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yale is no pushover.

I might to go to UConn-UCF game in November to show the players my support. UCF usually sells out home game tickets but I’m guessing there should be plenty available for this game.

Ah.. the renewal of the Civil ConFLict

conflict.jpg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Edsall now out.
defensive coach is interim HC
Best for all concerned. Edsall caught everyone by surprise with his announcement, and it’s probably just as well that he get on with his life.

Lou Spanos is an excellent coach with a great resume. Hopefully, he can salvage the remainder of the season and maybe earn himself the HC job in the process.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The AD's statement yesterday. Seems like the AD was not on board with Edsall's first decision.

It appears as if Edsall gave Benedict precious little advance notice before he announced his retirement publicly. Benedict then had to explain it to the University President, the Press and alumni as best he could. That couldn’t have gone over very well.

Reaction Score
I don't think UConn is paying Yale enough of a guarantee for Yale to beat them, just $285,000. The week before U Mass is paying UConn a guarantee of just $150,000.

Have at the list, its dizzying

Attachments

• 1630968062789.png
    1630968062789.png
    381.4 KB · Views: 77

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members