OT: - UConn football coach Randy Edsall announces retirement [edit] Now effective immediately | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: UConn football coach Randy Edsall announces retirement [edit] Now effective immediately

Reaction Score
It is pretty darn good until you start to spend it. A charter to carry a football team and staff and equipment starts at about $30k/hour. This includes onloading and offloading and airport delays etc. Throw in hotel, ground transportation, security (ever see state troopers on the field with coaches?) and per diem and the cash register does not stop.

Someone at U Mass is a better negotiator, because they are collecting $1.5 million from Florida State.
There are many smaller programs that literally live off these paydays, so yes it does more than cover expenses.

Reaction Score
I'm still befuddled why Edsall would make $1.25 million! Now, the former defensive coordinator, who witnessed giving up 45 and 38 points, is the interim coach! Where's Benedict's accountability?

Reaction Score
I do no know how many of you graduated from UConn, but I did in 1964. From before that time to the present time UConn's football program was mediocre to terrible. Until Calhoun came in, UConn men's basketball was also mediocre. Geno is another story. I do not think that even God could help UConn afer Geno leaves.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm still befuddled why Edsall would make $1.25 million! Now, the former defensive coordinator, who witnessed giving up 45 and 38 points, is the interim coach! Where's Benedict's accountability?
In this next hire. It will make or break his tenure here.

FWIW, most college coaches who are fired for not being good at their jobs end up with multimillion buyouts of the their contracts. That is not happening here. Randy gets this years salary and nothing more. That shows a bit of savvy by Benedict, especially considering that RE's contract was just extended.

CL82

Reaction Score
Until Calhoun came in, UConn men's basketball was also mediocre. Geno is another story. I do not think that even God could help UConn afer Geno leaves.
That not correct. UConn was a successful regional program before Calhoun, just not a national one.

UConn won 12 Yankee Conference titles under Hugh Greer, including ten consecutive titles from 1951 to 1960. Greer also led UConn to its first seven NCAA berths and one NIT appearance while compiling an overall head coaching record of 286–112.

1631111203181.png

Reaction Score
That not correct. UConn was a successful regional program before Calhoun, just not a national one.

UConn won 12 Yankee Conference titles under Hugh Greer, including ten consecutive titles from 1951 to 1960. Greer also led UConn to its first seven NCAA berths and one NIT appearance while compiling an overall head coaching record of 286–112.

View attachment 69668
No disrespect intended, but I call that mediocre. Somewhere back in my memory, they went to a playoff and played against Princeton and were knocked out in the first round. I still say that this was a mediocre time in their basketball history.

CL82

Reaction Score
No disrespect intended, but I call that mediocre. Somewhere back in my memory, they went to a playoff and played against Princeton and were knocked out in the first round. I still say that this was a mediocre time in their basketball history.
None taken. We're here to talk about sports and don't always have to agree with each other.

FWIW, I have respect for you VOD, both for your life experience for the fact that you here on the BY, but you're wrong on this. There are plenty of programs that have never seen that level of success. At the time we pretty decent, just not national, at least in the way that is conceived now. You remember those days, most competition was regional.

Your memory is close. In '64 UConn beat Princeton to advance to the elite eight. That's a very good year by everyone but Geno's standards.

(Future UConn coach Dom Perno stole the ball from Princeton great, and future senator, Bill Bradley, which was memorialized in the great play by play call "Perno stole the ball! Perno stole the ball!")

Dom Perno was the UConn coach right before Calhoun. He struggled a bit (although I am pretty sure the team was ranked in the '82 season.) That's what people are remembering when they say UConn wasn't good before Calhoun, but that was one coach, not the program's history.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom