UConn Football clearing the decks for next Coach? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn Football clearing the decks for next Coach?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
These guys are all coaching for their next job. Wins would look good on their CV.

ya know, that could be a good thread. Prediction for the next landing spot for each of the current UConn coaches. Not necessarily naming a school, but what position they will accept and what level will it be at.

Too bad there isn't any way to get a listing of all the current coaches and their titles at UConn to start a prediction thread.

Reaction Score
Spanos has at least earned the opportunity to be in the conversation as next HC. The players seem to be responding well to him and him bringing in Mazzone has completely changed the offense. I hope he can get at least 3 wins with UMass, MTSU and Yale.
They’ll give him a courtesy interview but he won’t be seriously considered for the job

Reaction Score
Spanos has seemed to do well with the players. however you are going for a new identity to show you are serious about football and unfortunately for any coach on the current staff means you have to cut ties with anyone that is associated with the current staff. you need to bring in a new guy for about 2 million a year let him pick his staff and start the rebuild. thats how these teams that were once down and out like us turn it around in two seasons. only coach id consider keeping is matt king the strength and conditioning coach

Reaction Score
Spanos has seemed to do well with the players. however you are going for a new identity to show you are serious about football and unfortunately for any coach on the current staff means you have to cut ties with anyone that is associated with the current staff. you need to bring in a new guy for about 2 million a year let him pick his staff and start the rebuild. thats how these teams that were once down and out like us turn it around in two seasons. only coach id consider keeping is matt king the strength and conditioning coach
You're not getting anyone worth having for 2 mil. UConn should be paying the HC 3 million bare minimum.

Reaction Score
You're not getting anyone worth having for 2 mil. UConn should be paying the HC 3 million bare minimum.
You need to take a good look @ what coaches are currently making under $3m that UConn would be lucky to attract (For example - Dave Clawson @ Wake is making +/- $2.3m). There is no need to overpay to find the right fit/right philosophy.

The key is a robust Assistant Coach/staff salary pool.

(I’m not saying you could get Dave Clawson @ $2.3m - just the level of Coach for the dollars).

Reaction Score
I'd rather UConn pay a head coach $2 million and spend $3 million on the assistant pool
$2 million plus incentives. If you win 4 games the first year another million, second year 6 game and a bowl invite 2 million more...

Reaction Score
Maybe we should hire Tom Herman for 5 million? Or Scott Frost for 5.5 million? Oh Tom got fired and Scott is on the hot seat??

Reaction Score
You need to take a good look @ what coaches are currently making under $3m that UConn would be lucky to attract (For example - Dave Clawson @ Wake is making +/- $2.3m). There is no need to overpay to find the right fit/right philosophy.

The key is a robust Assistant Coach/staff salary pool.

(I’m not saying you could get Dave Clawson @ $2.3m - just the level of Coach for the dollars).
Dave Clawson is underpaid

Reaction Score
This is honestly the best way to handle it, unfortunately.

It also does not preclude a new head coach from rehiring any of these coaches if they saw fit.
I’m hearing $3.5 mill a year for 5 years, for the next head coach, and it would not surprise me if DB tries to negotiate the DC position for Spanos.

Reaction Score
I’m hearing $3.5 mill a year for 5 years, for the next head coach, and it would not surprise me if DB tries to negotiate the DC position for Spanos.

If we kept Spanos at DC and Mazzone as OC then why would we be hiring a new coach for 3.5 mil?

3.5 mil just to look tough on the sideline? are we cloning Greg Schiano?

Why not just give Spanos 800K on a 3 year "prove it" contract to be head coach and use the money saved on head coach to hire a first class staff. Spanos' first hire as a head coach (Mazzone) has been a tape measure home run. If he could replicate that for the rest of his staff we would be on our way.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah man. Kept a whole 3 days extra. That's huge.

The contracts for the rest of the staff ran through Jan. 14, 2022. All but three — co-recruiting coordinator and defensive line coach Dennis Dottin-Carer, co-recruiting coordinator and wide receivers coach Aaron Smith, and tight ends coach Corey Edsall — were informed their contracts would not be renewed beyond Jan. 14. Dottin-Carter, Smith and Corey Edsall were told their contracts will not be renewed beyond Jan. 25.

Damn I missed “not” when I read renewed. Thanks for the correction.

Reaction Score
If we kept Spanos at DC and Mazzone as OC then why would we be hiring a new coach for 3.5 mil?

3.5 mil just to look tough on the sideline? are we cloning Greg Schiano?

Why not just give Spanos 800K on a 3 year "prove it" contract to be head coach and use the money saved on head coach to hire a first class staff. Spanos' first hire as a head coach (Mazzone) has been a tape measure home run. If he could replicate that for the rest of his staff we would be on our way.
I love Spanos, my only concern is can he draw the necessary recruits, especially in state and on both sides of the ball. I really don’t know where Mazzone is in all of this. Just my own two cents, I can see Moorhead being interested in the job but for slightly more than 3.5 million, maybe 4. Same for Lashlee or anyone who can recruit in the Northeast and mid Atlantic region.

Last edited:

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
I would be happy, but suprised at $3.5

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If UConn ponies up $2M for HC and more than $2.5M for the staff I will be pleasantly surprised.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I’m not saying you could get Dave Clawson @ $2.3m - just the level of Coach for the dollars
Why don't we get the next Dave Clawson for $2.3M?

Reaction Score

If UConn was really going to be paying $3.5M for a head coach, they are not going to tie him to a defensive coordinator who is not his guy and whose defenses (and this is more a function of talent) haven't been statistically good.

If they're paying $3.5M the head coach is going to get his picks not the ADs choices for the coordinators.

Reaction Score
The real key is to not get bogged down with an exorbitant buyout for a complete dud. Avoid another Diaco situation. That may be worth paying a few extra bucks upfront to be honest. We are just not built to pay big buyouts and a new coach when the time comes to replace a guy.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
At $2.3M-$2.5M UConn should be able to get a coach who can succeed at UConn. Identifying and convincing that person to do it is a different story.
That's what I'm thinking. I trust AD Dave as much as anyone to ID a candidate. And if we're willing to go to $3.5M, use that on the staff. That might help in recruiting the HC. In any event, just putting out $3.5M like it's a magic number makes no sense to me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom