UConn Football adding Noel Mazzone as an offensive analyst | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn Football adding Noel Mazzone as an offensive analyst

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
It’s funny. People probably expect to see a transformation before the next game.
I don't expect to see some magical transformation, but I would hope to see something different than what we have seen for three straight games. If it's the same thing, why are we wasting money on this guy and not saving it to hire the right coach for next season. I'm not expecting us to run some magical spread offense, but I do expect to see an offense that is different than whatever they call what has been on the field for the past two games.

Reaction Score
Assuming Steven Krajewski is starting, I would like to see more option calls between QB and RB. The best offensive performance possibly ever in UConn history came from this game and it was literally all one play between Pindell & Mensah on QB options.

Reaction Score
I don't expect to see some magical transformation, but I would hope to see something different than what we have seen for three straight games. If it's the same thing, why are we wasting money on this guy and not saving it to hire the right coach for next season. I'm not expecting us to run some magical spread offense, but I do expect to see an offense that is different than whatever they call what has been on the field for the past two games.

How many full days of practice have they had? 3? 4?

Reaction Score
Mazzone's total offense ranks:

2010 Arizona St. 29
2011: Arizona St. 24
2012: UCLA 24
2013: UCLA 38
2014: UCLA 23
2015: UCLA 28
2016: Texas A&M 24
2017: Texas A&M 56
2018: Arizona 24
2019: Arizona 30
2020: Arizona 86 (Note: only played 5 games due to COVID)

He can't implement his offense at this stage of the season, but he is super qualified to critique the offense and suggest some scheme and play calling improvements.

Anyone poo-pooing this is nuts. This guy gets hired as OC going into 2020 we would all lose our collective minds in joy. Amazing that we got him to agree to attempt to fix this mess.

Reaction Score
Essentially just giving it a week to figure out who to let go....
This hire is really nothing more than creating a diversion of the inevitable. Applaud the effort but he does not have the best track record with offensive excitement/results. Although anyone has to be better than the current OC, and so in comes this guys to appease us fans. Heck my 11 year old can call better plays but I will support these kids because that's what loyal fans do right?! Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Anyone poo-pooing this is nuts. This guy gets hired as OC going into 2020 we would all lose our collective minds in joy. Amazing that we got him to agree to attempt to fix this mess.
Yes, and any success of that keeps Edsall or eventually Edsall runs him out of town. It's a hard pass for me but definitely hope he can give the current OC a cliff note version of how to run a successful collegiate offense without really trying! :)

Reaction Score
This hire is really nothing more than creating a diversion of the inevitable. Applaud the effort but he does not have the best track record with offensive excitement/results. Although anyone has to be better than the current OC, and so in comes this guys to appease us fans. Heck my 11 year old can call better plays but I will support these kids because that's what loyal fans do right?! Go Huskies!
What? Look at how his offenses ranked earlier in this thread. He has been very successful except during the 2020 5 game COVID season at Arizona, Kevin Sumlin’s last year.

Reaction Score
They can’t commit to anything until they do an HC search, so it was a smart move finding interim offensive help that could also interview as an OC on the job. Not sure why Guifre isn’t out the door already but this makes it possible.
Who coaches our OL if Giufre gets canned now???

DCT

Reaction Score
This is a win win for both sides. UConn hopefully becomes a more competitive offense throughout the remainder of the season and as a result, Mazzone gets to “rehab” his reputation here (look- I actually got them to score a TD versus a FBS team for the first time since 2019!). Giufre is clearly in over his head calling plays and developing a game plan (and its clearly detracting from his OL coaching ability as well)- if this hire helps offload some of the game planning from Frank’s plate and allows him to focus more on the OL then that’s great. If Mazzone winds up as OC, that’s great too.
I was with my grandson and we sat in for O line film review 2019. Giufre seemed to have very good relationship with the players. Players were engaged in review and questions and comments from Giufre. Following we observed indoor practice and Giufre again working with players, we were impressed. Adding OC to Giufre and not adding a full time O line assistant was stupid especially in Giufre`s 2nd year as OC.

Reaction Score
Yes, and any success of that keeps Edsall or eventually Edsall runs him out of town. It's a hard pass for me but definitely hope he can give the current OC a cliff note version of how to run a successful collegiate offense without really trying! :)
If he’s so great, why is not employed anywhere. This hire with 8 games left is a mirage , let’s focus on getting the next staff in here instead trying to piece together a puzzle that doesn’t fit. I also don’t consider a successful offense outside of the top 10, maybe 20

Reaction Score
Dude people are questioning the merits of a real OC coming in? Watch some replays of Purdue. The coaching is beyond horrific to the point of neglect. Guifre is clearly not preparing this offense for games and IMO should be fired... but who else do we have for an Oline coach? Moyseenko is calling the plays anyways. Things that stand out vs. Purdue....

- Players giving less than half effort. Rewatch the film... one example 1st quarter at around 13:29 with a critical first down play ... watch the effort Jay Rose (who has the potential to be a stud) gives on a critical blocking play and tell me they are not giving up .... and are taking pride in their play. Go back and seriously watch it...AWFUL.

- Karlafitis was clearly one of the biggest threats Uconn will face all year at DE. One of the top defenders in all of college football. Rewatching the film you will see that the staff allows freshman Lundt who has had problems in his early starts to go one on one on an island vs. Karlaftis over and over through out the game. At one point Karlaftis took on three of our players two online men plus Mensah and drove them back thats how good he is. There were plays where he went up against Van Demark who more than held his own which shows how good an Oline player he is. But why in the world is our staff allowing one on one plays with an NFL prospect vs. our Freshman unproven lineman? ... repeatedly ...Red flag

- 5:32 in the second quarter they allow Karlafitis one on one against Ludnt again on 3rd and 11. Krajewski tries to take a quick throw to Turner up the sideline. As soon as the ball is snapped Karlafitis blows by Ludnt tips the ball from behind and forces and incompletion. Running to the side line Karjewski is being yelled at by Moyseenko and Krajewski looks like he's signaling what do you expect me to do? Talk about setting your players up for failure and then knocking on them.

- 2nd quarter at 2:58 2nd and 8 with Karlafitis ... again one of the best defenders we will face is on the edge and our OC decides to run a play where they pull all three Van Demark, Jay Rose and Mensah leaving Karlaftis completely unmatched with an open one on one route to Krajewski. We are lucky Krajewski didnt get hurt on that play. But wait...

- Very next play 3rd and 8 now Karlafitis lines up on the edge now one on one with Ludnt .... we all know what happens.

Ton's of examples if you watch the Purdue film. Totally unprepared by the OC's with players either being soft or not buying in. Maybe Mazzone won't be the savior but hopefully he will bring a CHANCE at competency because the current play callers are under prepared and in way over their heads.

Reaction Score
Dude people are questioning the merits of a real OC coming in? Watch some replays of Purdue. The coaching is beyond horrific to the point of neglect. Guifre is clearly not preparing this offense for games and IMO should be fired... but who else do we have for an Oline coach? Moyseenko is calling the plays anyways. Things that stand out vs. Purdue....

- Players giving less than half effort. Rewatch the film... one example 1st quarter at around 13:29 with a critical first down play ... watch the effort Jay Rose (who has the potential to be a stud) gives on a critical blocking play and tell me they are not giving up .... and are taking pride in their play. Go back and seriously watch it...AWFUL.

- Karlafitis was clearly one of the biggest threats Uconn will face all year at DE. One of the top defenders in all of college football. Rewatching the film you will see that the staff allows freshman Lundt who has had problems in his early starts to go one on one on an island vs. Karlaftis over and over through out the game. At one point Karlaftis took on three of our players two online men plus Mensah and drove them back thats how good he is. There were plays where he went up against Van Demark who more than held his own which shows how good an Oline player he is. But why in the world is our staff allowing one on one plays with an NFL prospect vs. our Freshman unproven lineman? ... repeatedly ...Red flag

- 5:32 in the second quarter they allow Karlafitis one on one against Ludnt again on 3rd and 11. Krajewski tries to take a quick throw to Turner up the sideline. As soon as the ball is snapped Karlafitis blows by Ludnt tips the ball from behind and forces and incompletion. Running to the side line Karjewski is being yelled at by Moyseenko and Krajewski looks like he's signaling what do you expect me to do? Talk about setting your players up for failure and then knocking on them.

- 2nd quarter at 2:58 2nd and 8 with Karlafitis ... again one of the best defenders we will face is on the edge and our OC decides to run a play where they pull all three Van Demark, Jay Rose and Mensah leaving Karlaftis completely unmatched with an open one on one route to Krajewski. We are lucky Krajewski didnt get hurt on that play. But wait...

- Very next play 3rd and 8 now Karlafitis lines up on the edge now one on one with Ludnt .... we all know what happens.

Ton's of examples if you watch the Purdue film. Totally unprepared by the OC's with players either being soft or not buying in. Maybe Mazzone won't be the savior but hopefully he will bring a CHANCE at competency because the current play callers are under prepared and in way over their heads.
This is the most accurate post I’ve seen on here in a while. The should of cracked on 5 five with a RB or TE or match van den mark on him at all times. Thank god Steven Krajewski did not seriously get hurt. He definitely took a beating last week

Reaction Score
It’s funny. People probably expect to see a transformation before the next game.
Only expecting baby steps. Get close to the spread, maybe even cover it this time out. If I were a bettor, though, I would be still laying the points.

Reaction Score
If he’s so great, why is not employed anywhere. This hire with 8 games left is a mirage , let’s focus on getting the next staff in here instead trying to piece together a puzzle that doesn’t fit. I also don’t consider a successful offense outside of the top 10, maybe 20
Pretty high standards.

You planning on team packing it in after 11 games?

News flash, you don't have to be so great to have positive impact on UConn's offensive scheme.

Why not try to do everything to help the team this year (even if it doesn't work), especially for a team whose motto is:

" Play every play like it is the last play you will every play "​

Reaction Score
Who coaches our OL if Giufre gets canned now???
Honestly, I haven’t the foggiest idea. I’m not sure Guifre can be effective in anything going forward. Reverting him to handle the OL is not going to fly with him. He knows there is zero chance he can continue as the OC as well. So,he’s effectively a dead man walking, so you may as well clean out the poison. You can’t worry about disrupting continuity because the only continuous thing we have is being terrible.

Reaction Score
Dude people are questioning the merits of a real OC coming in? Watch some replays of Purdue. The coaching is beyond horrific to the point of neglect. Guifre is clearly not preparing this offense for games and IMO should be fired... but who else do we have for an Oline coach? .
So true, the irony of this thing is who was Guifre's OL coach when he play OL himself at Syracuse ? None other than George DeLeone, SMH ! Don't know how much can be corrected with this offense at this point, but if Mazzone can help simplify things so guys don't look clueless and blowing blocking assignments, which has happened over and over, it would be a start.

I remember a statement from maybe Jimmy Bennett regarding TJ Weist making it so much easier for the OL in his system when he took over from our last clueless OC from Cuse. DeLeone, whose" freeze option" ran Syracuse's and Uconn's offense into the ground until he was shown the door at both places.

Reaction Score
Noel Mazzone is the same guy that was at Arizona when they lost 60-0 to Asu and had a guy who was heisman contention Khalil Tate and ruined him. Sorry but why are we excited about this?
Sorry but judging him on one game of his coaching career is a very weak argument. He has had relative success wherever he has been, and we desperately need his help.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom