UConn Football adding Noel Mazzone as an offensive analyst | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn Football adding Noel Mazzone as an offensive analyst

Reaction Score
Hopefully DB learned his lesson on having DC's running the football program... o wait! :)
The alternative (to a respected coach with a strong resume) was an “OC” who doesn’t call plays and has failed to score against FBS competition. Seems like an easy choice to me.

Reaction Score
How about we try scoring a touchdown or a field goal before we complain about scoring too much.

The defense will do better with a sustained drive than a 3 and out.
True and Randy's team had been getting better and better at that. Which is usually about the time that the D gives up,
(after 2 or 3 series of nada by the O) But you know, let's watch em' play ball control, Head bang....when they're down by 35 .

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This move can only help. It may take a while before we see results, but then again, Mazzone may be able to identify some simple, quick changes that will help the O sustain drives, shorten games and score points. I'm excited to have him on our staff.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I wanna believe that we will see a more modern offense but until I see it in a game, I can't buy it.....We've been told this too often by different OC and HC. I'm tired of hearing that we're going to finally bring in a modern offense and then see the same run up the middle garbage.

Here's to hoping we FINALLY see an offense that looks like a modern college offense.

Reaction Score
Only thing concerning is I just looked up mazzones resume he doesn’t stay put very long. The longest stint I really seen was at UCLA the jets and one other college. Other than that all his stints at a school for one to two seasons with two stints at ole miss but him for a season or two is better than what we have had

Reaction Score
Anybody with eyes knew a change needed to be made to the offensive coaching staff. I’ve seen enough shotgun handoffs on 4th and 2 at the 50.

I don’t know how much this will help at this point, but at least they’re trying.
Or run it up the middle on 3rd and 13

Reaction Score
Can't run hurry up with a defense that gives up 50 a game. I don't know how many years we have to repeat this.
Then find a DC who can run one that doesn't. Only at Uconn can a HC get away with this excuse, over and over and....

Reaction Score
Only thing concerning is I just looked up mazzones resume he doesn’t stay put very long. The longest stint I really seen was at UCLA the jets and one other college. Other than that all his stints at a school for one to two seasons with two stints at ole miss but him for a season or two is better than what we have had
Well since he's being paid by the week, I'd guess that shouldn't be a problem , :)

Reaction Score
He's kind of a jerk. I know people that know him. He's got a good mind for football but he rubs a lot of people the wrong way. But a lot of that is personality. He fits better in the north east than in other parts of the country.

Reaction Score
I wanna believe that we will see a more modern offense but until I see it in a game, I can't buy it.....We've been told this too often by different OC and HC. I'm tired of hearing that we're going to finally bring in a modern offense and then see the same run up the middle garbage.

Here's to hoping we FINALLY see an offense that looks like a modern college offense.
We're not going to run a new offense. You can't just switch your offense to a brand new one mid year. He's going to evaluate players and play structure, maybe redefine how we set up certain plays, when we call certain plays etc. But I highly doubt we'll see Nzone in play. Maybe some concepts. All about that triangle.

If anyone is unfamiliar with his passing concepts, it's mostly around flooding zone schemes with triangle based patterns that force defenders to commit to a specific receiver. I took his course when I was coaching a passing league for a HS

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
He doesn't have to stay and likely wouldn't anyway with a new HC coming. All he has to do is help AD Dave keep FBS football in CT.

Reaction Score
He's kind of a jerk. I know people that know him. He's got a good mind for football but he rubs a lot of people the wrong way. But a lot of that is personality. He fits better in the north east than in other parts of the country.
True, we are much more jerk tolerant here in the northeast as we have a much greater concentration being close to NYC and Boston. And of course, many of them are us ... if the dirty little secret be known. ;)

Reaction Score
Also to touch on his tweet re John Marinelli, he's known John and Lou personally for a long time. New Canaan has run his scheme for years and John ran it at Greenwich.

Mazzone is very hands on for programs that commit to his scheme. I honestly think it's part of his problem as a coach. He offers a lot of help to HS's when he should probably be concentrating on his own gig

Reaction Score

Ehhh he won’t be here after the end of the season. He’s just another surgeon they brought in to handle the trauma.

Reaction Score
We're not going to run a new offense. You can't just switch your offense to a brand new one mid year. He's going to evaluate players and play structure, maybe redefine how we set up certain plays, when we call certain plays etc. But I highly doubt we'll see Nzone in play. Maybe some concepts. All about that triangle.

If anyone is unfamiliar with his passing concepts, it's mostly around flooding zone schemes with triangle based patterns that force defenders to commit to a specific receiver. I took his course when I was coaching a passing league for a HS

It’s funny. People probably expect to see a transformation before the next game.

Reaction Score
Being in shotgun formation, the QB turning and handing the ball to Mensah who is at a dead stop 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage, and then expecting him to gain yards with 5 guys blocking who struggle to hold their blocks has got to stop. Do we ever block anyone at the second level? I hope Mazzone is better than this.

Reaction Score
Day one:
1631761206850.gif

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I would be happy with something besides what we have seen the past three weeks. I don't expect any miracles but just something different whether they hurry up, open up the playbook they have, just something different.

Go Huskies

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Haven’t spoke to the young man in quite some time as I’ve stated before he was a great person to our community and took the pack to states I’m just a fan of him for what he did for our community during his time here
My bad....I somehow (from a post here somewhere) was under the impression he was your son.....either way, glad he's here, and hoping for good stuff from him and for him.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
To me, this is a classic Dave Benedict move. Didn’t he try to bring in a new OC for Diaco? It wouldn’t surprise me if some of the conversation that ended Randy’s prolonged final year involved the suggestion to bring in some help to change things up.

Reaction Score
To me, this is a classic Dave Benedict move. Didn’t he try to bring in a new OC for Diaco? It wouldn’t surprise me if some of the conversation that ended Randy’s prolonged final year involved the suggestion to bring in some help to change things up.
He tried to bring in Jerry Kill to help Diaco Diaco refused and got fired.

He got Lashlee for Edsall. Edsall and Lashlee agreed on nothing.

Reaction Score
Noel Mazzone is the same guy that was at Arizona when they lost 60-0 to Asu and had a guy who was heisman contention Khalil Tate and ruined him. Sorry but why are we excited about this?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom