UConn Flirting with Big East? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn Flirting with Big East?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn is a state school losing millions on its football program in a state that’s billions of dollars in the red. IMO, UConn would have to be brain dead not to consider options like moving back to the BE, that could minimize the fiscal crisis the school and state are currently experiencing.
I think that would be extraordinarily poor short term thinking given that it would surrender opportunity for UConn to rejoin the P5 schools whose media contracts are 10 times (or more) larger than our current media deal. The next window for that happening, or not, is 5-7 years. Folding football prior to then would be foolish.

Reaction Score
the CAA wouldn’t take our fb program without B.B. men and women. They would be fools too.

Probably right. I guess my point is that even if one of the major conferences opened their door to UConn, what's the point of it all if it requires the bankrupt State of CT to somehow come up with the gazillion $ it would take to compete in football. And it seems to make no sense to sink whatever additional revenue that might be generated into said football project instead of spreading it around to all the teams. Seems to me that football is a millstone around UConn sports' neck. MBB and WBB will find good conferences to play in based on their history and current programs. But to tie them to football in some way seems to make zero sense to me. But what do I know! :)

Reaction Score
I think that would be extraordinarily poor short term thinking given that it would surrender opportunity for UConn to rejoin the P5 schools whose media contracts are 10 times (or more) larger than our current media deal. The next window for that happening, or not, is 5-7 years. Folding football prior to then would be foolish.

Why would a P5 school even consider UConn? This eludes me.

Reaction Score
The AAC also has some historically good MBB teams - UCONN, Memphis and Houston quickly come to mind. Is the current version of the Big East really much better?
Ummmm yea defintely. This year might be a bit of a down year than last year. I think we got 6 teams (more than half the conference) in the NCAA tournament last year. This year we will probably get 5 teams. But recruiting is very very good in the Big East. Villanova, St. Johns, Butler, Marquette, Georgetown, Seton Hall. All excellent basketball programs. Two teams in the top 25 and 3 more receiving votes. The AAC has one team in the top 25 and no others receiving votes. FYI Memphis is Not good this year.

Reaction Score
Yale was THE FB team in CT. When Tony LaVallie (sp) played BB there that too was the BB team to follow. It was local for Ct fans and national for Alum/Yalies.
Boy, do you bring back memories with Tony Lavelie - not only saw him play at Yale but also when he played his accordion at the Paramount theater in NYC in the ‘50s.

Reaction Score
  • Strong athletic department anchored by multiple programs with national championships. More basketball championships than any other university.
  • Strong academics. (Yes, those are important too).
  • Strong fan support/presence in an underserved section of the country (New England/NYC).
  • Strong brand/name recognition.
Football may be in the driver's seat today (hell, it might be the whole freakin' bus) but it is under pressure at all levels. UConn would be a nice insurance policy if interest in football goes into decline. I bet most, if not all, P5 conferences would trade one of their current members for UConn right now if they could.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’m sorry but no P-5 conference is interested in UConn. What you suggest is to lose another $10-$20 million pursuing “fools gold” for another 5-7 years

Reaction Score
  • Strong athletic department anchored by multiple programs with national championships. More basketball championships than any other university.
  • Strong fan support/presence in an underserved section of the country (New England/NYC).
Football may be in the driver's seat today (hell, it might be the whole freakin' bus) but it is under pressure at all levels. UConn would be a nice insurance policy if interest in football goes into decline. I bet most, if not all, P5 conferences would trade one of their current members for UConn right now if they could.
Seriously?

Even more ironic that such a question gets posed by a fan of women's basketball about the most successful women's basketball program on that school's message board. Such petty jealousy.

CL82

Reaction Score
Mmm, there are reasons but they are, as things stand now, unlikely to tip the scales in our favor. Brand, NYC/MSG presence, access to elevated Tier 1 pricing in the NYC DMA, content, CT demographics are all postives for us. They just aren't positive enough to justify adding us absent a seismic shift somewhere.

CL82

Reaction Score
I’m sorry but no P-5 conference is interested in UConn. What you suggest is to lose another $10-$20 million pursuing “fools gold” for another 5-7 years
What I suggest is keeping us as attractive as possible for a P5 addition while the possibility exists. FWIW, the amount that football is running in the red currently is somewhat illusory. Our IMG and Nike contracts (huge revenue items for the school) would be significantly reduced if we weren't a football school. Whether it is enough to offset our current football deficit is unclear, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is. Keep in mind that football is at its absolute nadir right now. Your projection is high even assuming that we don't have any uptick for the next five-seven years. That's unlikely.

CL82

Reaction Score
Football to B1G, basketball to ACC, baseball to SEC, soccer to PAC-12, polo to Big12. Checks from all. Problems solved.
You are a genius my friend. I'm sold! Now you just need convince the leagues to send us an invite.;)

Reaction Score
Boy, do you bring back memories with Tony Lavelie - not only saw him play at Yale but also when he played his accordion at the Paramount theater in NYC in the ‘50s.
Thanks what was his favorite shot ( all always, maybe wrongly gave him credit for developing it?? I thought I was the only human (ok near human) that remembered him.

Reaction Score
Yale was THE FB team in CT. When Tony LaVallie (sp) played BB there that too was the BB team to follow. It was local for Ct fans and national for Alum/Yalies.

Don't remember Tony, but turns out his cousin Dante was Otto Graham's favorite target.

Reaction Score
Thanks what was his favorite shot ( all always, maybe wrongly gave him credit for developing it?? I thought I was the only human (ok near human) that remembered him.
Lavelie had a beautiful hook shot - either side - and went on to play for both knicks and Celtics. Used to entertain at half time playing his accordion. His hook was virtually impossible to stop in his day - although he was a bit of a string bean and might suffer against bangers.

Reaction Score
You are a genius my friend. I'm sold! Now you just need convince the leagues to send us an invite.;)
I thought we could just tell them... isn’t that what others are saying?

Reaction Score
Lavelie had a beautiful hook shot - either side - and went on to play for both knicks and Celtics. Used to entertain at half time playing his accordion. His hook was virtually impossible to stop in his day - although he was a bit of a string bean and might suffer against bangers.
That's the shot. I used that one for years. It was/is(?) a very effective shot. I'm not sure who "invented" it; I thought it was Tony. Thanks for the info and memories of one that helped put BB on the map in Ct.

Reaction Score
I've said that for a long time. Most of the teams in the P5 are only there right now because they are essentially grandfathered in. And they should thank their lucky stars that it is that way as there's no real (read practical) mechanism to kick schools out. The P5 conferences are stuck with many boat anchor schools that contribute nothing other than history, and I guess loyalty to the league. Some of the factors where UConn is better than many of the P5 schools are quality of academics, media market size, championships, recent success and the publicity that goes along with it.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I would happily welcome UCONN to the Big East again. The AAC is making some strides, but the Big East has as well and is already more solid than the AAC. You add UCONN and I think it would boost recruiting for the programs in conference as well IMO.

The Big East's only national team is Nova on the men's side. And that shining star is not too bright right now after loosing to Penn. They will most likely drop out of the Top 25 on Monday. The BE is not more solid than the AAC.

As to the women's side, you have DePaul and Marquette. We have already crushed DePaul and if we played Marquette, they would not fair any better.

Basketball recruiting for both teams would suffer. BE is not an option!

Reaction Score
Can someone please tell me what makes Louisville more desirable than the state of Connecticut?

Reaction Score
If you had the worst defense in the history of football, wouldn't you want to return to defend your title?

Reaction Score
The Big East's only national team is Nova on the men's side. And that shining star is not too bright right now after loosing to Penn. They will most likely drop out of the Top 25 on Monday. The BE is not more solid than the AAC.

As to the women's side, you have DePaul and Marquette. We have already crushed DePaul and if we played Marquette, they would not fair any better.

Basketball recruiting for both teams would suffer. BE is not an option!
Ok so on the men's side. How many teams in the AAC do you think will make the tournament and how many Big East teams. Pretty sure that is a good indicator of what conference is more solid correct? 2 teams in the top 25 Marquette and Villanova and 4 other teams receiving votes. AAC has one team in the top 25 and one team recurving votes. It's not even close. Oh and 3 teams have a top 25 recruiting class coming in. Villanova at 6.

On the women's side, yes you crushed us; however, would you rather play USF who underachieves in post season. Or would you want to play a solid Marquette and Depaul in conference and shore up an out of conference game against somebody else? St. Johns played UCONN tough. Outside of UCONN, the Big East on the women's side is probabpy stronger. Conference RPI 4 and SOS 7. AAC conference RPI 8 and SOS 11.

Last edited:

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Ok so on the men's side. How many teams in the AAC do you think will make the tournament and how many Big East teams. Pretty sure that is a good indicator of what conference is more solid correct? 2 teams in the top 25 Marquette and Villanova and 4 other teams receiving votes. AAC has one team in the top 25 and one team recurving votes. It's not even close. Oh and 3 teams have a top 25 recruiting class coming in. Villanova at 6.

On the women's side, yes you crushed us; however, would you rather play USF who underachieves in post season. Or would you want to play a solid Marquette and Depaul in conference and shore up an out of conference game against somebody else? St. Johns played UCONN tough. Outside of UCONN, the Big East on the women's side is probabpy stronger. Conference RPI 4 and SOS 7. AAC conference RPI 8 and SOS 11.

I think the only advantage of the Big East is geography. Less travel, easier for fans to go to away games. Other than that it seems to be a bit of a wash. Big East is slightly better in mens and women Bball, AAC is better for football.

I think UCON is still a member of the Big East for Field Hockey. Maybe some other sports too.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

St Johns lost to Wake Forest..... WAKE FOREST let that sink in for a bit...

Reaction Score
St Johns lost to Wake Forest..... WAKE FOREST let that sink in for a bit...
Oh believe I know! That doesn’t negate that they played UCONN tough. All in all I just can’t see how anyone can say with a straight face that the AAC outside of UCONN of course, is a stronger conference than the Big East.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom