UConn Flirting with Big East? | The Boneyard

UConn Flirting with Big East?

Reaction Score
- BE talk about adding one more member.
- AAC trying to get long-term commitments from members so they can get better (not “good”) TV contract.
- BE secures 10-year contract with MSG for their conference tourney, locking out B1G & ACC from using MSG (BE conference tourney has been out/drawing B1G & ACC conference tourneys).
- Major credibility for BE with Villanova’s recent NCAA titles.
- Speculation on ‘new member’ being UConn and UConn dropping football (including painful details on UConn’s football ineptitude)
- Susan Herbst’s tenure at UConn ending soon.
- No mention of WBB

UConn/Big East chatter starts to bubble as AAC asks for commitment

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
- BE talk about adding one more member.
- AAC trying to get long-term commitments from members so they can get better (not “good”) TV contract.
- BE secures 10-year contract with MSG for their conference tourney, locking out B1G & ACC from using MSG (BE conference tourney has been out/drawing B1G & ACC conference tourneys).
- Major credibility for BE with Villanova’s recent prowess.
- Speculation on ‘new member’ being UConn and UConn dropping football (including painful details on UConn’s football ineptitude)
- No mention of WBB

UConn/Big East chatter starts to bubble as AAC asks for commitment

They have played in a bigger arena than the ACC tourney... thats why they outdrew the ACC last year. The Big 10 played a week earlier than the other conferences...... and they played in a foreign land (NYC). No surprise the Big East drew more fans.

Reaction Score
They have played in a bigger arena than the ACC tourney... thats why they outdrew the ACC last year. The Big 10 played a week earlier than the other conferences. and they played in a foreign land (NYC). No surprise the Big East drew more fans.
They have played in a bigger arena than the ACC tourney... thats why they outdrew the ACC last year. The Big 10 played a week earlier than the other conferences. and they played in a foreign land (NYC). No surprise the Big East drew more fans.
Well it looks like that will continue, especially if the BE continues to provide the national champion :cool:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Well it looks like that will continue, especially if the BE continues to provide the national champion :cool:

Nope. There is only one school worth anything in that League. Thats not gonna continue. Both the ACC and Big 10 tournaments will be moving back to bigger arenas and the traditional dates (Big 10)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I didnt mind Nova winning...... the 2016 Championship game was one of the most fulfilling and uplifting victories Ive ever seen... it brought me great joy for an entire year. I was very tempted to buy a Villanova Sweatshirt :cool: I hate Michigan..... and I was glad to see the Big 10 denied a national championship in 2018. :D

Reaction Score
The AAC is just gaining traction as a conference, why leave now? UCF, Memphis, Temple, Cinci, Houston all had good years in football. UConn and Memphis are on the way back in men's basketball and Cinci, Houston, UCF, and Temple are solid. UConn has paid its dues in this conference, they might as well stay and see what can come of it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I didnt mind Nova winning. the 2016 Championship game was one of the most fulfilling and uplifting victories Ive ever seen... it brought me great joy for an entire year. I was very tempted to buy a Villanova Sweatshirt :cool: I hate Michigan..... and I was glad to see the Big 10 denied a national championship in 2018. :D
I can't hate this enough. :mad:

Reaction Score
Oh my gosh, please just stop.

These are all rumors started by various folks with various agendas. And people fall for them every time.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I would love for UConn to downgrade football and head back to the BE. St Johns & Depaul are competitive teams. Seton Hall is on the upswing. There are natural geographic rivals and MSG would showcase the league championships every year. If it were to happen, somewhere Dave Gavitt will be smiling.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I would love for UConn to downgrade football and head back to the BE. St Johns & Depaul are competitive teams. Seton Hall is on the upswing. There are natural geographic rivals and MSG would showcase the league championships every year. If it were to happen, somewhere Dave Gavitt will be smiling.

Too much money invested in football to turn back now. Just gotta find a young and up and coming Offensive minded Head Coach. Edsel aint the answer.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Too much money invested in football to turn back now. Just gotta find a young and up and coming Offensive minded Head Coach. Edsel aint the answer.
In accounting, the concept is a “sunk cost.” No matter how much money you sink into a bad investment, it should have no relevance in future decision-making. If UConn’s football program is not in the “black,” either downgrade it to FCS or get rid of it entirely.

Reaction Score
Not sure they could pull off MSG for WBB conference tourney. This year they had it at Wintrust Arena in Chicago.

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I didnt mind Nova winning. the 2016 Championship game was one of the most fulfilling and uplifting victories Ive ever seen... it brought me great joy for an entire year. I was very tempted to buy a Villanova Sweatshirt :cool: I hate Michigan..... and I was glad to see the Big 10 denied a national championship in 2018. :D
Careful there sonny. As they say, my money and my son went toMichigan (Fab 5 era). Duke is my Michigan ;) One notch below ND.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
nonono.gif

Reaction Score

They had one and they let him go.

Reaction Score
Personally I think the football program needs to target a particular skillset and see if that helps bring recruiting along.

For example, go out and hire offensive and defensive line coaches with NFL credentials and respect. Recruit linemen with the promise to develop and market them for the next level.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
No chance. They would be lucky to get half of that!
Really? The December 2015 Maggie Dixon classic at MSG vs MD had almost 7,000 fans. The Regionals at Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport, CT sold out each of the last two times UConn was there: attendance 9,000+. Last year’s regional at the TUC in Albany, NY had 11,000+ fans in attendance.

Frankly, I have little doubt that a revived BE Tournament at MSG with #1 UConn, St Johns, et al would generate great interest and attendance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom