UConn "Fans" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn "Fans"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
^ those cars had monster engines in them and are getting pretty collectible these days.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
The Buick Enclave is a sweet ride. Test drove it a couple of times before I bought my Chevy Traverse. I love my traverse. If I ever call a player a chevy, consider it a compliment.

Reaction Score
This board is about talking about this team and this program. There's going to be good, bad, and ugly and anyone who posts here is going to be be guilty of all at one time or another but it's a great venue IMO because otherwise we are limited to the written and TV media press. The discussions go on and off the rails but I think there is a general consensus that the effort from these young players is there. When they are attacked it's for performance or lack of skills, but they really can't be held responsible for that can they? Wouldn't it be boring though if all we had here was a praise-a-thon? You want to rip? Go ahead, right or wrong as a fan you're entitled to your own opinion.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've got to say that I didn't find the Buick post all that offensive, more a shot at Ollie's hyperbole than at Purvis. Then again the donut jokes don't particularly bug me either.

I do agree that as a group, we should thoughtful if we criticize the players. I strongly suspect they have read the board in the past and likely do now. It's fair game to critique play but probably best not take personal shots them. That said this board has had favorite whipping boys forever. Ironically, they often end up being heroes eventually (e.g., Moore or Brown.)

Reaction Score
I find it extremely humorous that not only do these idiots rip a teenage kid, but they do it entirely unintelligibly. Like this moron Chap that says D-Ham is not going to be a good player. I mean it just makes him look so dumb, and on top of it annoyingly negative. If D-Ham turns it over 10 times in the championship game, then the gloves are off, but the beginning of conference play? Give him some time, or don't cheer when he drops 20 in that game. He was probably ripping Daniels last year at this time too. Too me, that's the bottom line, you rip these kids now and don't get behind your Huskies and cheer them on, you shouldn't be allowed to wear your husky sweatshirt when they hoist the trophy. Plain and simple. Fair weather fans should be redirected to the Cuse board.

Last edited:
H

huskymagic

I'm sure I've posted something like this in the past but I simply don't get UConn "fans" that decide some player on the team is not up to their standards and not only rip them personally, but generally get satisfaction when they don't play well.

The entire "See, I told you player X sucks and I was right." with a little self chest bump is just so foreign to me.

I get that some players are challenged in areas or don't play as well as I would like, but I'm never happy when they don't play as well as they should or could.

Things like calling Purvis a Buick are just so anti UConn fan that I can't wrap my head around.

It's fine to be critical but to call players useless or receive enjoyment from their failures just wreaks of someone who is miserable in their own life.

I could point out a few posters who make this list regularly, but I won't and would suggest that maybe those posters think a little more and clean up their shtick.

Jleves this is a forum where UCONN basketball fans get to speak their mind on issues facing the team or players and their performance. These are adults who have a public profile and therefore should be open to scrutiny. In reference to the Buick comments which I have made, that is more poking fun at Kevin Ollie than Purvis who put so much exaggerated hyperbole on the kid that his play for a 21 year old sophomore former Mickie D deserves a lot of criticism when not performing at a level we expect at UCONN. People have different expectations and this board allows them to vent their frustrations when things aren't going at the pace they expect.

If all we did was drink the Kool Aide your espousing this program wouldn't have 4 titles in the last 16 years and the boneyard wouldn't be what it is currently: the home of champions. It takes constant criticism, hard work, and an underdog mentality to stay on top.

Reaction Score
. People don't get it. Criticize away. Don't get personal. Remember that these players and their families often read this, and keep that in mind. What would you say to their faces?

We can say Rak should get Nolan's minutes. We shouldn't call Nolan worthless or useless. Funny how so many of those posters who are most critical of players get most upset when they get criticized for their crappy comments...

Last edited:

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Jleves this is a forum where UCONN basketball fans get to speak their mind on issues facing the team or players and their performance. These are adults who have a public profile and therefore should be open to scrutiny. In reference to the Buick comments which I have made, that is more poking fun at Kevin Ollie than Purvis who put so much exaggerated hyperbole on the kid that his play for a 21 year old sophomore former Mickie D deserves a lot of criticism when not performing at a level we expect at UCONN. People have different expectations and this board allows them to vent their frustrations when things aren't going at the pace they expect.

If all we did was drink the Kool Aide your espousing this program wouldn't have 4 titles in the last 16 years and the boneyard wouldn't be what it is currently: the home of champions. It takes constant criticism, hard work, and an underdog mentality to stay on top.
Yet another one to totally miss the point of the post, however, that's not exactly surprising considering the source.

I did not say drink the Kool-Aid (not Kool Aide - it's a simple Google search if you're not sure). I did not say don't be critical - in fact I said 'It's fine to be critical....'

Calling one of our players a Buick (sorry to offend happy Buick owners) is something Syracuse or N.C. State fans should be doing - not UConn fans. If you want to say the Ferrari needs a tune up, that's pretty legitimate. But to basically say he's a sucky car (again, no offense to happy Buick owners - but the poster meant crappy crappy car) is ridiculous for a real UConn fan to do. Say he's not playing like the Ferrari we were expecting - cool. Calling him crappy (again no offense to those happy happy Buick owners) just sucks. OK - maybe I'm taking the Buick thing too personally, but whatever - maybe another pedantic stick in the sand things I should move away from.

It's the posters who want to take pride in saying, 'See, I told you he sucks.' or 'He's worthless.' or in the worst case posters who hope that someone fails to make their argument legitimate.

Be critical all you want - just do it in a respectful way.

And as far as I can tell, the Boneyard being tough on players has not helped win a single Championship. The mojo events of Charlie and Senior on the other hand are obviously important.

Reaction Score
Some people would rather be correct than happy, so when they make an emotional statement they stick with it even to their detriment.

So true...You deal with people like this on a daily basis... I Gotta deal with a couple of them at the workplace. :mad:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
At this point, if you are not ignoring huskymagic, you are the .

Hey walker wtf, I don't ignore anyone I love a bit of comedy every day and who better to provide that then.......well you guys know the usual suspects.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
. People don't get it. Criticize away. Don't get personal. Remember that these players and their families often read this, and keep that in mind. What would you say to their faces?

This is the key to this discussion folks! People can criticize all they want, but do it in a fashion that is reasonable, rational, and NOT personally offensive. Let's not forget that these are 18-22 year old kids, NOT pros. As @tzznandrew and others in this thread have mentioned, there's often family members reading and posting here as well, so be mindful.

Having been posting on the Yard since 2006, I have certainly noticed a recent rise in UConn fan entitlement evidenced by obnoxious posts. The players don't owe us anything so we should all stop posting comments ACTING like they do.

I understand that the word 'fan' is short for 'fanatic' but there needs to be a common courtesy factor on this board. The fact that many here in this thread missed the OPs point is discouraging.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

The boneyard is what it is because of people like jleves. You don't have to drink the kool-aid, but you do have to chose your words carefully when criticizing a player.

Reaction Score
My question that I have to ask as a result of this thread is why is this board so reluctant to take out the trash? I get that we have an ignore feature and I use it for chap, husky91, and huskymagic, but if those 3 dudes are constantly making negative posts, making negative threads, and in the case of 91 and chap posting non intelligent, incoherent comments, why not just get rid of them? I don't expect the board to be run like a dictatorship, but I have never seen a board like this that let's trolls run wild. You can be a fan and make critical comments about the team because I've done it plenty of times myself, but those 3 dudes? Toss them in the waste bin, it is long overdue.

Reaction Score
I would have to believe that if players (think teenagers) are constantly checking facebook, instagram and other social media sites that they are peeking at the Boneyard.

So its certainly warranted to be mindful of that when assassinating someone's character. Some players are sensitive to outside criticism and yes could have a negative impact. Perhaps not on the court but off the court and in their heads.

No one likes to be attacked in cyberspace. So if we are fans, we should encourage and support players having bad games, in a funk or under-performing. Sure during in-game chat rooms and immediately following a game we all are emotional and say stupid stuff. But 4-5 days after a game to still be posting vile comments needs to be checked.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
My question that I have to ask as a result of this thread is why is this board so reluctant to take out the trash? I get that we have an ignore feature and I use it for chap, husky91, and huskymagic, but if those 3 dudes are constantly making negative posts, making negative threads, and in the case of 91 and chap posting non intelligent, incoherent comments, why not just get rid of them? I don't expect the board to be run like a dictatorship, but I have never seen a board like this that let's trolls run wild. You can be a fan and make critical comments about the team because I've done it plenty of times myself, but those 3 dudes? Toss them in the waste bin, it is long overdue.

Don't forget "WeAreUCONN" (more like "HeIsntUCONN").

Reaction Score
The boneyard is what it is because of people like jleves. You don't have to drink the kool-aid, but you do have to chose your words carefully when criticizing a player.
I have to remind myself sometimes (often) to criticize the behavior, not the person. It really works.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

You'd have to see the amount of trash that is taken out daily in order to have an informed opinion.

Reaction Score
You'd have to see the amount of trash that is taken out daily in order to have an informed opinion.

I guess I'd have to take a whiff of that to see how that smells worse than chap, I see no purpose of letting that linger. It was bad enough when he was inchorent, but incoherent and trashing the players and coaching staff? What is the purpose? I have him on ignore but that doesn't cover posters quoting him.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I guess I'd have to take a whiff of that to see how that smells worse than chap, I see no purpose of letting that linger. It was bad enough when he was inchorent, but incoherent and trashing the players and coaching staff? What is the purpose? I have him on ignore but that doesn't cover posters quoting him.

If chap is your biggest complaint, you really have little to complain about.

Reaction Score
If chap is your biggest complaint, you really have little to complain about.

Now I'm intrigued. Are we talking spambots, or do you have some legit psychos you're hiding from us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom