UConn fans perception versus National perception | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn fans perception versus National perception

Reaction Score
Jesus goshdarn Christ.

We’re not defending Ollie. We’re fine with him going. Good bleeping riddance.

Maybe a few of us are just aware that it’s kind of difficult to be both a program constantly excoriated by the national media and an enticing job opportunity.

But here's what you're not getting. Again.

The national media hasn't REALLY been excoriating us that much. Read the tweets from national writers just the last two years. Tonight there were guys that covered the team for a the first time in a while and were blown away by how bad we've gotten. I'm hearing national commentators simultaneously sticking up for the heritage of the program while also actively, in the game, wondering what the blue crap Ollie is doing. My boss the last 4-5 years is *actually* the president of the Wisconsin hoops booster club. One of our other investors has been a huge booster at UMass. They're almost clueless and shocked to hear UConn is even bad - never mind THIS bad. That national perception as to how bad we've gotten is 1-2 years behind where we see ourselves. Which might be awful. Might be a problem. Might be an advantage for all I know.But they're not caught up. Until they will be.

I don't buy into the narrative we're despised nationally. We've always had a fight - but I find more national media types advoxating for the the obvious - a move to the Big East to get us 'back.' Even on the downside of it all, they miss having us to kick around in a big conference. And in some cases. they're actively discussing how we can be good again, or with this and that, we'll be good again. The national media almot to a weird extent - has been OK. We've almost got an indisputable track record at this point to the actual point that we're an afterthought into thinking we're good. In a weird way - it's the Rice syndrome in college baseball, but translated to us where we're given the benefit of the doubt we'll be better. We were pre-season what last year? 18? We're consistently seen as better than we are.

Which is another reason the clock is ticking. Not just on the actual 'where we're at' but from national perception. too.

I'm tired of the usual reasons as to why we're not good - and sometimes those outside perspectives are more healthy than the ones here. We've go a lot to offer the national stage. We need to start demanding that.

Reaction Score
For the people who think UConn fans are too hard on KO, we're not. Nationally people can't believe there is even a question of KO returning for next season.

I agree with your thoughts but this thread blows. Your title is stated like a fact but it really is your option.

Did you take or fund a Quinnipiac poll ? How big was your sample size

Reaction Score
I was absolutely all in on Ollie and thought he`d be a great coach for the next decade but the man cant recruit to save his life! Thats the single biggest problem and recruiting is the lifeblood of any program just behind the coach. Im really disappointed in Ollie. If i ever run into him:

I’ll argue that the man can recruit. His recruiting classes have been decent and have been the best in the league. He can’t coach, develop players and create a culture where kids feel valued. Why do you think there was a mass exodus? Why do you think ex players rip him on Twitter. Time for him to go. This is an embarrassment.

Reaction Score
The thing is that you don't need to do this. The writing has been on the wall. Basically everybody has conceded that it might be time for a change after this season, next year at the latest. Yet it's still not good enough for you. You still have to blatantly misrepresent what other people are saying, dramatize a picture that is already bleak enough, and remind people of your opinion every five minutes. You can't let the truth stand for itself without the petty distortions. We're talking about Gary Parrish here, I'm assuming? You don't want to advertise being on his side even when he's right.
He should of been fired a long time ago. If this was an FBS football program, given the early season OT wins over teams we should have easily handled, he would have been canned after the blowouts to Arkansas and Auburn.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Jesus goshdarn Christ.

We’re not defending Ollie. We’re fine with him going. Good bleeping riddance.

Maybe a few of us are just aware that it’s kind of difficult to be both a program constantly excoriated by the national media and an enticing job opportunity.

Money. Dan Hurley makes under $1M. Ollie makes over $3M. All but 9 coaches are paid less than we pay KO. One of those is Marshall. So most P5 and BE coaches could get a nice raise here. We also have history that most schools don’t, and better facilities than most.

Reaction Score
But at the same time, every coach on the market will be shoving each other out of the way to get their hands on this job...right?
Especially if we Showa a hand picked alumni natl champ asst/head coach the door MID season. Who wouldn’t want that?

Reaction Score
Isn't it time for your next novel making excuses for why we totally suck?

To think you need to start another thread for your broken record of an opinion is a joke. You're a joke, huge one.

KO is too, that was awful last night - he quit, they quit terrible sight. But don't people know how really lame they look to continuously beat their chests? Oh geez, I guess not.

Reaction Score
Money. Dan Hurley makes under $1M. Ollie makes over $3M. All but 9 coaches are paid less than we pay KO. One of those is Marshall. So most P5 and BE coaches could get a nice raise here. We also have history that most schools don’t, and better facilities than most.
Just about every P5 school will pay Hurley atleast 3 mil and has just as nice facilities. UConn's brand was built during a much different time. This opportunity is no where near the same that is was 10 years ago.

Besides, people keep saying UConn can't afford KOs buyout. So how will it pay its next coach top 10 money plus the buyout. It ain't happening.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just about every P5 school will pay Hurley atleast 3 mil and has just as nice facilities. UConn's brand was built during a much different time. This opportunity is no where near the same that is was 10 years ago.

Besides, people keep saying UConn can't afford KOs buyout. So how will it pay its next coach top 10 money plus the buyout. It ain't happening.

Show me the money....(younger guys look it up).....

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
He should of been fired a long time ago. If this was an FBS football program, given the early season OT wins over teams we should have easily handled, he would have been canned after the blowouts to Arkansas and Auburn.

Basketball and football are culturally different. Basketball coaches are given more leeway than football, with that said his time is up and has been for a while. I have no doubt that this is his last year.

Reaction Score

Well yeah, but even if they take the job, they won't be able to do what Jim Calhoun had done. And that is really what you are all after. So while I am a huge proponent of getting rid of Ollie, I will continue to advocate for nothing in particular.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Are you on crack? Very few P5 schools would pay anyone $3M. They don't care that much about basketball. And you think Dan Hurley, who has done nothing, will earn that from somebody else? No. Here is the entire list of guys who make that much at P5 schools. One of whom has since been fired.
1. Louisville Rick Pitino $5,057,000 $7,769,200 $750,000 --
2 Kentucky SEC John Calipari $7,140,000 $7,435,376 $50,000 --
3 Duke ACC Mike Krzyzewski $5,550,475 $5,550,475 -- --
4 Kansas Big 12 Bill Self $4,752,626 $4,932,626 $525,000 --
5 Michigan State Big Ten Tom Izzo $3,582,751 $4,251,751 $350,000 --
6 West Virginia Big 12 Bob Huggins $3,575,000 $3,590,000 $690,000 --
7 Michigan Big Ten John Beilein $3,370,000 $3,370,000

The next two coaches are in the AAC, Marshall and Ollie. Notice anything about the list? Basketball schools, with the possible exception of WVU. The majority of P5 coaches make much less and are more accomplished than Hurley. Bobby Hurley is making $1.3M at ASU

Reaction Score
It isn't, although Gene Chizik was fired a couple years removed from a NC. It happens.

I think Larry Coker is still the best example of this. Handed an all time great team and a title, then proceeded to wreck it while being allowed to keep his job for too long. The team KO took over obviously wasn't all time good, but he has allowed the program to completely crumble in the same manner.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
The rest of the country has superficial knowledge of what's going on, they only know what they're told to think (and that's on matters important to them, which UConn basketball is not)

And our media is never one to be informed or knowledgeable or honest about any topic

Hence I find this thought process to be thoughtless

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
For the sake of argument let's put aside what we will pay KO's replacement.

Who is paying the buyout?

That's the question. But looking at the salaries, and given our assets, I think we can hire someone decent. I still favor Chris Mack at Xavier.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
The national media hasn't REALLY been excoriating us that much. Read the tweets from national writers just the last two years

So you say Superjohn is just making crap up again.

I agree.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The weirdest defense of Ollie continues to be the canard that he’s done so much damage that no one else will want the job.

If he keeps losing, one of you is going to propose that he receive a lifetime contract.

The program can recover from Ollie's damage. The damage to the program from staying in this garbage league is irreversible.

Reaction Score
That's the question. But looking at the salaries, and given our assets, I think we can hire someone decent. I still favor Chris Mack at Xavier.

Mack is far out of our league. Great coach. I expect we will have good options but he will not be one of them.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Mack is far out of our league. Great coach. I expect we will have good options but he will not be one of them.

Really? A guy who was at an A10 program until a few years ago? A guy at a small school with limited resources who makes half of what we pay our coach?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
How many active coaches have a NC under their belt?
His part in achieving that NC may be debateable but it's not an open and closed argument that he's a bust.
Two met last night.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom