UConn EYBL 2024 Recruits | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn EYBL 2024 Recruits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As for Cofie the Richie Springs comparisons and being the Clingan replacement seem at odds to me.

He's an inch or two taller than Richie but doesn't have the skill to play PF full time. He's definitely a 4/5 tweener. Not the same kind of center as Clingan at all. He's smaller, more mobile, with more perimeter skillset. He could probably play PF a bit, but I don't see it as his natural position at all. IMO 4s in college just need to have a high skillset these days like Karaban, and I'm not sure Cofie fits that.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
A center taking 4 threes per game is different than a guard. That means he has some level of confidence in his shot. “Large sample” might not be the right term, but how many of our center recruits ever took 4 3s in a game, let alone make 36%?

Reaction Score
A center taking 4 threes per game is different than a guard. That means he has some level of confidence in his shot. “Large sample” might not be the right term, but how many of our center recruits ever took 4 3s in a game, let alone make 36%?

He may be being recruited as a PF the same way Richie and Johnson were. I think both would have worked best as centers, and I still think that will be Johnson's position if he gets minutes for us next year. I don't think that mold of PF really works for our team. We saw the benefit of a high skill level at the 4 this year all over college basketball.

Reaction Score
They know that but does he? Have Alex’s mom call his mom.

Having seen him play a half dozen times now, he definitely doesn't know it the way he should. Maybe it's late riser syndrome. He's the best player on the court 99% of the time but acts like a 5th man.

Credit where it's due though, the kid plays the game the right way. Very few players are making the extra pass or hunting the higher % shot in AAU.

Reaction Score
Betsey and Cofie's stats for the weekend. 4 games. I'd keep in mind that AAU statkeepers kind of suck, and playing 4 games in a weekend lends itself to off games and inconsistency.

Betsey:

13.5 PPG
2.5 RPG
3.0 APG

0.8 TO
1.2 STL 2 1 1 1
0.3 BLK 0 0 1 0

43% FG (10.7 attempts per)
67% 2FG (3 attempts per)
35% 3FG (7.8 attempts per)
88% FT (2 attempts per)

I was surprised by his passing this weekend. We all knew he was a big, strong shooter, but I didn't realize he had some passing chops too. He's going to need an off-season of S&C and he's going to be a monster at this level. Look for him to keep developing his athleticism and ability to straight line drive a bit. The numbers might not scream "5* player here" but I can see it. He looks every bit of a 40% or better shooter, doesn't turn the ball over versus pressure, and plays within the offense. I doubt his AAU numbers are going to be outstanding--he looks like a system player to me and AAU is a whole lotta playground ball. He's open in the corner constantly for a high % shot and his teammates look him off for a double-euro spinning rodeo in the lane. 26 MPG.

Cofie

13.1 PPG
3.4 RPG
1.0 APG

1.8 TO
0.5 STL
0.8 BLK

54% FG (11 attempts per)
63% 2FG (7.5 attempts per)
36% 3FG (3.5 attempts per)
65% FT (5 attempts per)

He really does play a lot like Richie Springs. Stiff, upright athlete--I'm not quite sure how to explain it. They just move the same way. Probably 6'10, big broad shoulders. I can't say I came away particularly impressed with any part of his game, but he is definitely well-rounded and does a little of everything. Nice offensive rebounder with some decent touch around the rim. If that 3-point % stays up above 35% (I'm worried it won't because his FT form is pretty janky), then I am all on board with getting him as our Clingan replacement. Perimeter skillset is a work in progress, but it would be awesome to have a center who can push down to the 4 without ruining the offense. He was clearly very productive today, and his stats were only in 20 MPG.
Thanks for these write-ups, as always. The more I hear about Betsey, the more he sounds like a perfect fit for us. I hope he noticed the types of shots Hawkins, Karaban, Joey C, and Alleyne got in our offense last year.

Reaction Score
Betsey and Cofie's stats for the weekend. 4 games. I'd keep in mind that AAU statkeepers kind of suck, and playing 4 games in a weekend lends itself to off games and inconsistency.

Betsey:

13.5 PPG
2.5 RPG
3.0 APG

0.8 TO
1.2 STL 2 1 1 1
0.3 BLK 0 0 1 0

43% FG (10.7 attempts per)
67% 2FG (3 attempts per)
35% 3FG (7.8 attempts per)
88% FT (2 attempts per)

I was surprised by his passing this weekend. We all knew he was a big, strong shooter, but I didn't realize he had some passing chops too. He's going to need an off-season of S&C and he's going to be a monster at this level. Look for him to keep developing his athleticism and ability to straight line drive a bit. The numbers might not scream "5* player here" but I can see it. He looks every bit of a 40% or better shooter, doesn't turn the ball over versus pressure, and plays within the offense. I doubt his AAU numbers are going to be outstanding--he looks like a system player to me and AAU is a whole lotta playground ball. He's open in the corner constantly for a high % shot and his teammates look him off for a double-euro spinning rodeo in the lane. 26 MPG.

Cofie

13.1 PPG
3.4 RPG
1.0 APG

1.8 TO
0.5 STL
0.8 BLK

54% FG (11 attempts per)
63% 2FG (7.5 attempts per)
36% 3FG (3.5 attempts per)
65% FT (5 attempts per)

He really does play a lot like Richie Springs. Stiff, upright athlete--I'm not quite sure how to explain it. They just move the same way. Probably 6'10, big broad shoulders. I can't say I came away particularly impressed with any part of his game, but he is definitely well-rounded and does a little of everything. Nice offensive rebounder with some decent touch around the rim. If that 3-point % stays up above 35% (I'm worried it won't because his FT form is pretty janky), then I am all on board with getting him as our Clingan replacement. Perimeter skillset is a work in progress, but it would be awesome to have a center who can push down to the 4 without ruining the offense. He was clearly very productive today, and his stats were only in 20 MPG.
These writeups are outstanding sir.

Reaction Score
Thanks everybody! Can't say I miss AAU--it's a hellscape--but I still love watching these young guys ball.

Nowell

15.5 PPG
4.3 RPG
5.0 APG

28 MPG

0.8 TO
1.0 STL
0.3 BLK

67% FG (9 attempts per)
79% 2FG (4.8 attempts per)
53% 3FG (4.3 attempts per)
63% FT (2 attempts per)

Small guard, probably a generous 6-foot at best. Build wide and strong though. Should help him on defense. Height is going to be the limiting factor for him in D1. Very quick. Obviously had a ridiculously weekend shooting the ball. I’ve seen a bunch of him, and every time I assume his janky shot won’t be accurate, but he seems to hit it. Shoots on the way down instead of up with a stiff release... but it seems to work. Finishing is just okay--nothing to write home about. Uses the floater instead of getting to the rim because of his height. Most impressed with his passing. A 5:1 assist-turnover ratio in AAU is absurd. Really, really like his passing. Smart with the ball, finds shooters in rhythm. Gets to the FT line and makes plays. Love it. Handles are serviceable, but nothing to write home about. Nice leadership on the floor from what I saw. Hurley was at every one of his games, so he’s clearly a priority. I expect rankings bump--the production this weekend speaks for itself. Energy on the court is awesome. All over the boards and defense when he's locked in. Very excited about this recruitment. IMO he and Betsey should be our priorities.

Reaction Score
Thanks everybody! Can't say I miss AAU--it's a hellscape--but I still love watching these young guys ball.

Nowell

15.5 PPG
4.3 RPG
5.0 APG

28 MPG

0.8 TO
1.0 STL
0.3 BLK

67% FG (9 attempts per)
79% 2FG (4.8 attempts per)
53% 3FG (4.3 attempts per)
63% FT (2 attempts per)

Small guard, probably a generous 6-foot at best. Build wide and strong though. Should help him on defense. Height is going to be the limiting factor for him in D1. Very quick. Obviously had a ridiculously weekend shooting the ball. I’ve seen a bunch of him, and every time I assume his janky shot won’t be accurate, but he seems to hit it. Shoots on the way down instead of up with a stiff release... but it seems to work. Finishing is just okay--nothing to write home about. Uses the floater instead of getting to the rim because of his height. Most impressed with his passing. A 5:1 assist-turnover ratio in AAU is absurd. Really, really like his passing. Smart with the ball, finds shooters in rhythm. Gets to the FT line and makes plays. Love it. Handles are serviceable, but nothing to write home about. Nice leadership on the floor from what I saw. Hurley was at every one of his games, so he’s clearly a priority. I expect rankings bump--the production this weekend speaks for itself. Energy on the court is awesome. All over the boards and defense when he's locked in. Very excited about this recruitment. IMO he and Betsey should be our priorities.
I haven't watched any of him yet, but description sounds like better passing and shooting Posh Alexander.

Reaction Score
I haven't watched any of him yet, but description sounds like better passing and shooting Posh Alexander.

You've got the right idea, though Alexander is way thicker. Not sure how Nowell is on defense comparatively because AAU is a crapshoot on defense. But the potential for being a + defender is definitely there.

Reaction Score
Yeah...praying this kid just goes straight to the G league or something because he's the type of player that can carry Duke to a title on his own. Damn
Monteverde has a crazy stat that EVERY two-year starter in the last {large number] of years has made it to the NBA. Cooper started as a sophomore.

Reaction Score
Do you have information or are you just being pessimistic because Duke offered? Throwing that out without context is going to stir up curiosity because he is this years top target and he's local.
Slater called this a couple months back. Unfortunately we don’t have the resources to compete with Duke on a recruiting battle unless there is a really specific tie to UConn. Unfortunately he is a priority for them.

Reaction Score
Do you have information or are you just being pessimistic because Duke offered? Throwing that out without context is going to stir up curiosity because he is this years top target and he's local.
Most of his/her posts have been on the negative side lately.

Reaction Score
Slater called this a couple months back. Unfortunately we don’t have the resources to compete with Duke on a recruiting battle unless there is a really specific tie to UConn. Unfortunately he is a priority for them.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Why?
Guys from the Hartford area in CT typically aren’t UConn fans and don’t like the idea of staying in state.

Being familiar with his family, (no I have not talked to anyone about it just a feeling) I’d be surprised if he ended up here.

Reaction Score
Guys from the Hartford area in CT typically aren’t UConn fans and don’t like the idea of staying in state.

Being familiar with his family, (no I have not talked to anyone about it just a feeling) I’d be surprised if he ended up here.
Why are players from Hartford area not UConn fans?

Reaction Score
I'm aware of the NIL imbalance and all the challenges that creates. Wondered if you had inside info other than a blurb from Slater a while back. It may be an uphill battle but I don't think there should a chicken little outlook either. You take your best swing and have a backup plan at the ready. Probably won't land him but way too early for any absolute proclaimations.

Reaction Score
Having seen him play a half dozen times now, he definitely doesn't know it the way he should. Maybe it's late riser syndrome. He's the best player on the court 99% of the time but acts like a 5th man.

Credit where it's due though, the kid plays the game the right way. Very few players are making the extra pass or hunting the higher % shot in AAU.

No, I meant he might be who UConn wants, but UConn is not what he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom