UConn EYBL 2024 Recruits | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn EYBL 2024 Recruits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
AJ Dybantsa is a 2026 that just dropped 28 in a 17u game. Absurd.
He's a stud.

*Earmark the name AJ Dybansta (Expressions 17u). The 6-foot-8 class of 2026 forward is playing up on the 17u level, and he is a factor. Trending as one of the top players nationally in his class. He had 22 points tonight.

There was a thread on him a few weeks ago with an article from the Boston Globe. Found it.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
FWIW, I wouldn’t be surprised if Betsey weighs upfront NIL heavily if he becomes recruited in that way.

Reaction Score
Word i hear is that the staff has regrouped and heavy on the 2024.
Also not saying no portal
What do you mean by regrouped? Compared to what exactly?

Reaction Score
He's a stud.

*Earmark the name AJ Dybansta (Expressions 17u). The 6-foot-8 class of 2026 forward is playing up on the 17u level, and he is a factor. Trending as one of the top players nationally in his class. He had 22 points tonight.

There was a thread on him a few weeks ago with an article from the Boston Globe. Found it.

So he's dominating playing 3 years up? Class of 2024 is the main 17u class right?

Reaction Score
I wonder what good options will be in the portal by June.
Agreed. Said this in another thread but we need to at least look to fill one spot now. If we wait until end of May and both guys go, we’re sorta screwed. Portal pickings will be super slim by then and we’d need at least 2 guys for practice/depth purposes.

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
Yeah...praying this kid just goes straight to the G league or something because he's the type of player that can carry Duke to a title on his own. Damn
and i assume they will be getting 2025 #1 Cameron Boozer .... could be scary

Reaction Score
Boogie Fland:

Fland
  • Ended up with 31/2/1 on 9/15 shooting. 5/9 from deep. 8/9 from the line.
  • Really frail looking, maybe 6'3. Long arms.
  • Robust scoring package. Shot has been way off this weekend though. Looked good at the rim and shooting it today.
  • Solid handles, especially in traffic.
  • Transition scoring excellent.
  • FT stroke looks excellent.
  • 3 point stroke looked great today. First two games were ugly… coming back to his average here with fantastic scoring at the rim and from 3.
  • Not seeing the same level of passing I expected. Not a natural passer. Looks like a pure scorer here, not as much of a facilitator.
  • Doesn’t embrace contact at the rim at all–looks like Jalen Adams. Great touch and body control to make up for it. Getting stronger would help with this. Does seem to ge tfouled a lot here though
  • Drilled a deep, stepback 3 late in the game. This kid can SHOOT.
  • Can get a shot off any time he wants.
  • Really fast. Quick hips. Bouncy.

Reaction Score
Word i hear is that the staff has regrouped and heavy on the 2024.
Also not saying no portal
Where did you hear that? Someone in the media?

Hurley said the staff will be focused on recruiting the high school class of 2024, while moves for constructing next year’s team will largely have to wait as Jackson and Newton make their final decisions.

“It’s hard because if you’re trying to recruit a player right now, if you’re looking for some type of a piece, it’s hard to give them a vision of what they’re walking into,” Hurley said. “It’s hard to recruit with that type of uncertainty.”

Reaction Score
He's a stud.

Saw him at the NEPSAC finals. Has work to do in gaining strength and defensively but the talent is through the roof. Will be a top 10 guy in that class.

Reaction Score
Where did you hear that? Someone in the media?

Hurley said the staff will be focused on recruiting the high school class of 2024, while moves for constructing next year’s team will largely have to wait as Jackson and Newton make their final decisions.

“It’s hard because if you’re trying to recruit a player right now, if you’re looking for some type of a piece, it’s hard to give them a vision of what they’re walking into,” Hurley said. “It’s hard to recruit with that type of uncertainty.”

@HooperScooper
Haha i do not kiss and tell(anymore)
And yes but different reporter

caw

Reaction Score
I wonder what good options will be in the portal by June.

I imagine mostly kids who entered the draft and the portal and pulled their name from the draft. Just talking about good options. Not sure how many kids that means this year though. If a lot of kids stick it could be a mad scramble at the beginning of June.

Reaction Score
Boogie Fland:

Fland
  • Ended up with 31/2/1 on 9/15 shooting. 5/9 from deep. 8/9 from the line.
  • Really frail looking, maybe 6'3. Long arms.
  • Robust scoring package. Shot has been way off this weekend though. Looked good at the rim and shooting it today.
  • Solid handles, especially in traffic.
  • Transition scoring excellent.
  • FT stroke looks excellent.
  • 3 point stroke looked great today. First two games were ugly… coming back to his average here with fantastic scoring at the rim and from 3.
  • Not seeing the same level of passing I expected. Not a natural passer. Looks like a pure scorer here, not as much of a facilitator.
  • Doesn’t embrace contact at the rim at all–looks like Jalen Adams. Great touch and body control to make up for it. Getting stronger would help with this. Does seem to ge tfouled a lot here though
  • Drilled a deep, stepback 3 late in the game. This kid can SHOOT.
  • Can get a shot off any time he wants.
  • Really fast. Quick hips. Bouncy.

Reaction Score
He's a stud.

2. SF AJ Dybansta – Expressions

Only a class of 2026 player, AJ Dybansta, has made his mark on the 17u circuit during session one. The 6-foot-8 wing is the third leading scorer, 25.5, and leading rebounder, 8.0, playing up two age groups.

Dybansta has a great frame, very fluid. He can get to his spots off the bounce and confidently rise up from multiple levels to knock down the shot. He will need to continue adding strength to his base and core to continue adding to his game, but even that is nit-picking. Dybansta started the day with 29 points, going 10-22 from the field.

Dybansta’s recruitment has not really begun; after all, he just finished his freshman year of high school.

Reaction Score
Betsey and Cofie's stats for the weekend. 4 games. I'd keep in mind that AAU statkeepers kind of suck, and playing 4 games in a weekend lends itself to off games and inconsistency.

Betsey:

13.5 PPG
2.5 RPG
3.0 APG

0.8 TO
1.2 STL 2 1 1 1
0.3 BLK 0 0 1 0

43% FG (10.7 attempts per)
67% 2FG (3 attempts per)
35% 3FG (7.8 attempts per)
88% FT (2 attempts per)

I was surprised by his passing this weekend. We all knew he was a big, strong shooter, but I didn't realize he had some passing chops too. He's going to need an off-season of S&C and he's going to be a monster at this level. Look for him to keep developing his athleticism and ability to straight line drive a bit. The numbers might not scream "5* player here" but I can see it. He looks every bit of a 40% or better shooter, doesn't turn the ball over versus pressure, and plays within the offense. I doubt his AAU numbers are going to be outstanding--he looks like a system player to me and AAU is a whole lotta playground ball. He's open in the corner constantly for a high % shot and his teammates look him off for a double-euro spinning rodeo in the lane. 26 MPG.

Cofie

13.1 PPG
3.4 RPG
1.0 APG

1.8 TO
0.5 STL
0.8 BLK

54% FG (11 attempts per)
63% 2FG (7.5 attempts per)
36% 3FG (3.5 attempts per)
65% FT (5 attempts per)

He really does play a lot like Richie Springs. Stiff, upright athlete--I'm not quite sure how to explain it. They just move the same way. Probably 6'10, big broad shoulders. I can't say I came away particularly impressed with any part of his game, but he is definitely well-rounded and does a little of everything. Nice offensive rebounder with some decent touch around the rim. If that 3-point % stays up above 35% (I'm worried it won't because his FT form is pretty janky), then I am all on board with getting him as our Clingan replacement. Perimeter skillset is a work in progress, but it would be awesome to have a center who can push down to the 4 without ruining the offense. He was clearly very productive today, and his stats were only in 20 MPG.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Betsey and Cofie's stats for the weekend. 4 games. I'd keep in mind that AAU statkeepers kind of suck, and playing 4 games in a weekend lends itself to off games and inconsistency.

Betsey:

13.5 PPG
2.5 RPG
3.0 APG

0.8 TO
1.2 STL 2 1 1 1
0.3 BLK 0 0 1 0

67% 2FG (3 attempts per)
88% FT (2 attempts per)

I was surprised by his passing this weekend. We all knew he was a big, strong shooter, but I didn't realize he had some passing chops too. He's going to need an off-season of S&C and he's going to be a monster at this level. Look for him to keep developing his athleticism and ability to straight line drive a bit. The numbers might not scream "5* player here" but I can see it. He looks every bit of a 40% or better shooter, doesn't turn the ball over versus pressure, and plays within the offense. I doubt his AAU numbers are going to be outstanding--he looks like a system player to me and AAU is a whole lotta playground ball. He's open in the corner constantly for a high % shot and his teammates look him off for a double-euro spinning rodeo in the lane. 26 MPG.

Cofie

13.1 PPG
3.4 RPG
1.0 APG

1.8 TO
0.5 STL
0.8 BLK

54% FG (11 attempts per)
65% FT (5 attempts per)

He really does play a lot like Richie Springs. Stiff, upright athlete--I'm not quite sure how to explain it. They just move the same way. Probably 6'10, big broad shoulders. I can't say I came away particularly impressed with any part of his game, but he is definitely well-rounded and does a little of everything. Nice offensive rebounder with some decent touch around the rim. If that 3-point % stays up above 35% (I'm worried it won't because his FT form is pretty janky), then I am all on board with getting him as our Clingan replacement. Perimeter skillset is a work in progress, but it would be awesome to have a center who can push down to the 4 without ruining the offense. He was clearly very productive today, and his stats were only in 20 MPG.
36% on almost 4 attempts isn’t an insignificant sample. Is the form really that bad?

Reaction Score
36% on almost 4 attempts isn’t an insignificant sample. Is the form really that bad?

He took 14 shots from deep. That's not a significant sample at all. Once he has 3 EYBL weekends under his belt is when we'll get a better sense of his ability.

His FTs look worse than his 3 to my eye. But that wouldn't really concern me if I didn't see 65% from the FT line. At the end of the day, an ugly shot can still go in at a high % for some guys. I just think that's an indication his shot is a work in progress right now. FTs (IMO) are a more important indicator of shooting ability than 3s in AAU because it's something the player can control. The fact that he's even taking them is a good sign though--he's working on the right skills to get to the league.

Reaction Score

Betsey:

13.5 PPG
2.5 RPG
3.0 APG

0.8 TO
1.2 STL 2 1 1 1
0.3 BLK 0 0 1 0

67% 2FG (3 attempts per)
88% FT (2 attempts per)

Cofie

13.1 PPG
3.4 RPG
1.0 APG

1.8 TO
0.5 STL
0.8 BLK

54% FG (11 attempts per)
65% FT (5 attempts per)

I see the exact same thing with Betsey. Those entry passes are on point. It's also interesting how he was guarding the 7 foot center for a lot of the game yesterday, it looks like they're comfortable having him guard 1-5. Not a jump out of the gym athlete but his athleticism and all-around game are improving. Agree, AAU is not for players like him. He's a perfect fit for UConn and it sounds like he knows that. He'll be a 5 star, ESPN is the only one still kind of sleeping on him.

As for Cofie the Richie Springs comparisons and being the Clingan replacement seem at odds to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom