UConn EYBL 2024 Recruits | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn EYBL 2024 Recruits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes that’s true but he’s one of if not their biggest priority, so it’s not like he’s number ten on the outside looking in. Scheyer has visited him more than any other 24’ prospect.
He’s everyone’s priority. But Duke has offered several other 2024 4 and 5 stars. They can’t all be priorities and backing up the Brinks truck. We offer and if he buys in, he buys in. If not, then on to the next guy. It doesn’t mean we stop recruiting. For some kids, a school being in their backyard can be a plus or a minus. Hopefully it’s a plus for Betsey. If you want mom’s home cooking you can get it easily. If you want to see your best friends from home or go to a family party, you can. Not easy to do from Durham. That’s all some of us are saying.

Reaction Score
Sure. That has zero to do with what I said. Some of you think it’s a given that a Connecticut kid is automatically going to want to play at UConn.
Saying "not all local kids want to play for the hometown school" is a pretty safe bet. That's a pretty obvious statement. I don't think anyone thinks it's a gimme he or anyone else from CT wants to play here. Saying his parents may want to drive to his games to see him isn't suggesting he automatically wants to play for UConn. Unless anyone here knows Betsey, or has direct knowledge of his recruitment, none of us can be sure what he's thinking at this present time. The Slater tweet saying Scheyer visited Betsey is far from a smoking gun. NJHoops seems like she does know something though so maybe he wants to leave home. She has had good info and insight in the past. If so I wish him luck, but many will still hold out hope until DH stops watching his games. It's not a foreign concept to think the local school who has 5 rings and just won one might have a leg up if you don't have any inside info. It doesn't mean you think the kid is a shoe-in and only has eyes for UConn.

Reaction Score
Oh I’m not saying there’s other recruitments we can’t win without playing NIL the same. There’s going to be plenty of big time kids interested just like last year’s class.

I’m just not sure Betsey will be one of them when it comes down to it. Would love to be wrong. And again, there would be nothing wrong with thinking he can get the same things he would at UConn while also cashing in on his value to go with it.
That's my bad I wasn't clear. I was talking more in a general sense about NIL and recruiting in general, not about just about Betsey.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Just letting you both know that when the two of you are part of the same conversation with the same (awesome) avatar, it can get really confusing.
Blaming Spider-Man GIF

Pretty much

Reaction Score
Saying "not all local kids want to play for the hometown school" is a pretty safe bet. That's a pretty obvious statement. I don't think anyone thinks it's a gimme he or anyone else from CT wants to play here. Saying his parents may want to drive to his games to see him isn't suggesting he automatically wants to play for UConn. Unless anyone here knows Betsey, or has direct knowledge of his recruitment, none of us can be sure what he's thinking at this present time. The Slater tweet saying Scheyer visited Betsey is far from a smoking gun. NJHoops seems like she does know something though so maybe he wants to leave home. She has had good info and insight in the past. If so I wish him luck, but many will still hold out hope until DH stops watching his games. It's not a foreign concept to think the local school who has 5 rings and just won one might have a leg up if you don't have any inside info. It doesn't mean you think the kid is a shoe-in and only has eyes for UConn.

It’s a little frustrating from the outside, right? When you look at what he says he wants just from a basketball perspective, UConn looks like it could be a great match. They (notably Dan) watched him in this early recruiting event to show their interest is still high. I hope they’ll get a chance to make their full pitch, and they expect to. His decision is not anticipated to come anytime soon- he has said that publicly and everyone recruiting him believes it to be true.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It’s a little frustrating from the outside, right? When you look at what he says he wants just from a basketball perspective, UConn looks like it could be a great match. They (notably Dan) watched him in this early recruiting event to show their interest is still high. I hope they’ll get a chance to make their full pitch, and they expect to. His decision is not anticipated to come anytime soon- he has said that publicly and everyone recruiting him believes it to be true.
Yeah that’s why if we don’t win this recruitment it would 100% have nothing to do with the staffs ability to recruit and everything to do with him probably just not wanting to stay in state.

Outside of Clingan and Andre (two very unique recruitments) who were the last CT recruits to go to UConn?

Reaction Score
Yeah that’s why if we don’t win this recruitment it would 100% have nothing to do with the staffs ability to recruit and everything to do with him probably just not wanting to stay in state.

Outside of Clingan and Andre (two very unique recruitments) who were the last CT recruits to go to UConn?
Akok, Diarra, Vital, Enoch in between the guys you mentioned

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Akok, Diarra, Vital, Enoch in between the guys you mentioned
Forgot about Enoch. Everyone else is not actually from CT though they just went to prep school in CT.

I’ll go ahead and throw Doug Wiggins on this list as another one too.

Reaction Score
Just from experience of being around a lot of those guys athlete/player wise. Most are pretty much Duke and UNC fans. Very few hoopers in the area grew up UConn fans. No idea why. And this isn’t a recent thing that has anything to do when we had a bad stretch.

Hell even the big time coaches in CT aren’t UConn fans. Lol
Because they watch ESPN. The network that recruits for Duke, UNC and Kentucky

Reaction Score
Isn’t that something? Boogie Fland values his teammates, team chemistry, and team culture. He didn’t bring up NIL. Don’t sell UConn short folks.
There are likely tons of kids who won't mention NIL in interviews for whom money is nevertheless a top factor in the decision making process. I don't know anything about Boogie, but I generally don't take a recruit's failure to mention money as a sign that he or she doesn't care about money.

Reaction Score
Isn’t that something? Boogie Fland values his teammates, team chemistry, and team culture. He didn’t bring up NIL. Don’t sell UConn short folks.

I'm not sure you understand how interviews work. He's obviously responding to a question unrelated to NIL.

Do you imagine an interview would go like this:

"What do you like about UConn and their culture?"

"They don't have enough NIL money for me so I'm going to Kentucky"

"Great. What do you think about the recent national champions?"

"Not much, their NIL game is week"

Reaction Score
I'm not sure you understand how interviews work. He's obviously responding to a question unrelated to NIL.

I understand how they work. Sure he’s not saying NIL isn’t a factor, even a major one. But I DO understand that he spent a fair amount of time stressing that the locker room is important. Perhaps even more time than was necessary to respond to that question. Fair?????

Reaction Score
I understand how they work. Sure he’s not saying NIL isn’t a factor, even a major one. But I DO understand that he spent a fair amount of time stressing that the locker room is important. Perhaps even more time than was necessary to respond to that question. Fair?????

You are still assuming how that interview went. You have no idea, and neither do any of us. Reading into the mind of a 16-year-old after playing 4 games in 36 hours is not a very good idea.

Reaction Score
You are still assuming how that interview went. You have no idea, and neither do any of us. Reading into the mind of a 16-year-old after playing 4 games in 36 hours is not a very good idea.
That’s a direct quote is it not? We don’t know what was said or not said about NIL. We do know he said that. We don’t have to read his mind. He told us. This board has been getting awfully woe is me Syracuse fan board we can’t compete in NIL lane lately. Granted it is a factor and an important one. And there are other factors too.

Reaction Score
That’s a direct quote is it not? We don’t know what was said or not said about NIL. We do know he said that. We don’t have to read his mind. He told us. This board has been getting awfully woe is me Syracuse fan board we can’t compete in NIL lane lately. Granted it is a factor and an important one. And there are other factors too.

Not commenting on NIL. I don't know anything about our NIL. I do know you're making a whole lotta assumptions based on a tweet my man.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
FWIW, even last year the staff did a MARVELOUS job of identifying guys who blew up later on in Castle, Ball, and Ross. That momentum then led to Stewart and Singare.

It was the same for guys like Bouknight and Hawkins as well. Wonder what gems they can find during this go around.

Reaction Score
There seems to be a dichotomy in thinking regarding what makes a great college basketball program. Our bias appears towards longer term thinking, watching our players grow and develop and periodically winning championships while for others it may be annually being ranked in the top 10 or making the tournament.

When I see someone like Kyle Filipowski going to Duke, and now committing for a second year, it's puzzling because he was so talented he would have done as well or better last year at a number of schools. So, what level of thinking should we expect from a kid or his family/advisors:
-Did he go there for the affirmation of his ability gained with the scholarship or the halo effect of the name on the front of the jersey?
-Could he possibly have believed all would be the same there relative to his personal growth/development regardless of playing for an unproven coach?

Coach K went 17-13, 10-17,11-17 his first three years before going 24-10 and then had great records year after year, but today's culture seems to demand excellence immediately.

I know all kids are different but wonder if, in general, you have insights or thoughts on:

-How long will the aura of Coach K and Roy Williams likely last (regarding the schools' ability to recruit star high school players) if their replacements don't soon win as often as they did?

-Are kids so tuned in to social media and the name on the front of the jersey that they'll still be drawn more to the "name" schools regardless of how often a school like UConn wins championships? It seems that way with Kentucky in spite of how many times UConn has beaten them in the past 15 years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Boogie:

1682356568337.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online