UConn @ Duke Blue Devils (Saturday 9/14/24 @ 6:00pm) Game on ACCNx/ESPN+. Audio on Varsity Network/FoxSports 97.9 FM | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn @ Duke Blue Devils (Saturday 9/14/24 @ 6:00pm) Game on ACCNx/ESPN+. Audio on Varsity Network/FoxSports 97.9 FM

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
My question is whether or not HCJM will name a starting QB before the game. It wld seem that JF has the hot hand right now. Thoughts?
Why would he? Head coaches tend to want to keep the opposition guessing. My guess he will come up with the tried and true game time decision cliche ..... It's a game time decision. ;)

Reaction Score
Coach speak: Manny Diaz Press Conference Quotes: Connecticut - Duke University

"They're very well coached by Coach Moore [sic] and his staff. You can see what it is that they're trying to do on offense. Everything compliments itself. They have multiple ways to attack coverages. They were one of the best last year and in the first two games this year, they're one of the best outside zone running teams in the country. That's always a concern for a defense, outside zone is very hard to replicate with your scout teams. It's hard to get those guys to play. You have to run a lot to really master what they have done, so that's a challenge. You don't ever really get to see that play until it shows up on Saturday. Defensively, they won't run the same defense twice. They have all the blitzes, they have all the coverages and they throw it all at you in rapid succession. So, it is a major challenge for your offensive line in the run game and in pass protection, and then for the quarterback to make sure you take care of the ball with the different changing looks of what they do down the field. They're very sound and aggressive with their special teams units, so they have our full attention. It's going to take a great week of practice and preparation to get us ready but we're excited to get back home to our home fans and have a great Saturday night here in Durham."

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Coach speak: Manny Diaz Press Conference Quotes: Connecticut - Duke University

"They're very well coached by Coach Moore [sic] and his staff. You can see what it is that they're trying to do on offense. Everything compliments itself. They have multiple ways to attack coverages. They were one of the best last year and in the first two games this year, they're one of the best outside zone running teams in the country. That's always a concern for a defense, outside zone is very hard to replicate with your scout teams. It's hard to get those guys to play. You have to run a lot to really master what they have done, so that's a challenge. You don't ever really get to see that play until it shows up on Saturday. Defensively, they won't run the same defense twice. They have all the blitzes, they have all the coverages and they throw it all at you in rapid succession. So, it is a major challenge for your offensive line in the run game and in pass protection, and then for the quarterback to make sure you take care of the ball with the different changing looks of what they do down the field. They're very sound and aggressive with their special teams units, so they have our full attention. It's going to take a great week of practice and preparation to get us ready but we're excited to get back home to our home fans and have a great Saturday night here in Durham."
Lou Holtz couldn't even match this level of puffery.

Reaction Score
Why would he? Head coaches tend to want to keep the opposition guessing. My guess he will come up with the tried and true game time decision cliche ..... It's a game time decision. ;)
Let me revise the question. Who do you think will start?

Reaction Score
As noted above (injury occurred btwn Maryland and Merrimack games):

Reaction Score

-> “I feel like they’re both comfortable doing the things we’ve asked them to do,” Mora said, referring to Nick Evers and Joe Fagnano. “I feel like they both have a really good grasp of our system. They’re both a little bit different, as we saw, Joe is more of a pocket passer, though he can run, Nick is a less experienced guy, has a real high ceiling, good out of the pocket. I like the fact they both understand their fit in the system.” <-

-> It would be silly, obviously, to judge one quarterback against a Big Ten opponent on the road and the other vs. an FCS opponent at home, so the starting job is still in Evers’ possession, but with some qualification. He participated in practice to a greater degree on Tuesday, so in terms of his health he is trending in the right direction, but it’s too early in the week for Mora to say Evers will be ready Saturday.

“If he has a good week, yes,” Mora said. “I’m not going to play coy with that. I’ve always believed you pick a quarterback and you go with it …until you don’t. You support the hell out of him until it’s time to make a change. Look, we all appreciate the job that Joe did, I mean, it was unbelievable and yet we, over the course of four-week camp, decided Nick was our quarterback. I know if Nick is called upon, he’ll be ready. He has to prove that to us this week, that he’s ready. And I know if Joe is called upon, we’ve seen that he will be ready.” <-

-> “You come out of two games and you feel good about two quarterbacks, that’s a good thing,” Mora said. “Often, they say if you have two quarterbacks, you don’t have any (starter). I don’t think that’s the case here now, so that’s a good thing for us.” <-

Reaction Score
Sucks about Rosa
It is too bad. Sounds like broken pinky finger and he should be back for FAU game in another week. I feel better after watching Brown and Robinson behind Cam Edwards last week. Obviously, they will have to step it up against a better opponent.

Reaction Score

-> “I feel like they’re both comfortable doing the things we’ve asked them to do,” Mora said, referring to Nick Evers and Joe Fagnano. “I feel like they both have a really good grasp of our system. They’re both a little bit different, as we saw, Joe is more of a pocket passer, though he can run, Nick is a less experienced guy, has a real high ceiling, good out of the pocket. I like the fact they both understand their fit in the system.” <-

-> It would be silly, obviously, to judge one quarterback against a Big Ten opponent on the road and the other vs. an FCS opponent at home, so the starting job is still in Evers’ possession, but with some qualification. He participated in practice to a greater degree on Tuesday, so in terms of his health he is trending in the right direction, but it’s too early in the week for Mora to say Evers will be ready Saturday.

“If he has a good week, yes,” Mora said. “I’m not going to play coy with that. I’ve always believed you pick a quarterback and you go with it …until you don’t. You support the hell out of him until it’s time to make a change. Look, we all appreciate the job that Joe did, I mean, it was unbelievable and yet we, over the course of four-week camp, decided Nick was our quarterback. I know if Nick is called upon, he’ll be ready. He has to prove that to us this week, that he’s ready. And I know if Joe is called upon, we’ve seen that he will be ready.” <-

-> “You come out of two games and you feel good about two quarterbacks, that’s a good thing,” Mora said. “Often, they say if you have two quarterbacks, you don’t have any (starter). I don’t think that’s the case here now, so that’s a good thing for us.” <-

I like this answer. It’s a statement.
Evers is the QB. If he’s hurt or unable to go, then Joe is next guy up.
If Evers struggles or doesn’t do the things they need of him to win, then a decision will be made.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I like this answer. It’s a statement.
Evers is the QB. If he’s hurt or unable to go, then Joe is next guy up.
If Evers struggles or doesn’t do the things they need of him to win, then a decision will be made.
I…do not. One has shown something, one hasn’t. You stick with the hot hand at this point.

Reaction Score
12 points can be overcome if the defense cleans up its act this week
By the same token the offense can cough up the ball twice on the 10 yard line and 12 points becomes 24 points. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt but Mora needs to take control of this team of first year players on a trip down to North Carolina. Say acid test.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom