UConn didn't compliment WMU enough | The Boneyard

UConn didn't compliment WMU enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Actually, this article sounds a lot like it could have been written a few years ago by a UConn fan about a perceived lack of respect towards the Huskies.

WMU quarterback Alex Carder passed for nearly 500 yards against the previously top-ranked pass defense in the Big East Conference.

And yet, afterward, good luck finding a real compliment from UConn directed at Carder or wideout Jordan White, who caught a dozen passes for the fourth time this season, or Chleb Ravenell, who made a SportsCenter Top 10-worthy 41-yard game-winning touchdown catch.

Why's it so hard for BCS teams to give WMU football the respect it deserves?

Reaction Score
Article is silly. I'll say the same thing I say about us: stop whining and go out and win games.

Here's the bottom line with WMU........we are more talented at every position except QB and WR. And the gap at those 2 spots are not by a small margin. Of course P would trade WMU for their WR's & QB. But do you really expect him to say that?

Stop whining. That's a good team. They will probably win the MAC and rep the league well in a bowl game. But let's not pretend that WMU is going to compete for a BCS league championship anytime soon.

Reaction Score
Article isn't silly. It's a realistic recognition that most teams see losing to a MAC opponent as their fault, rather than the other guys having better players--or coaching. I think it would have been classy for our guys to say "that was a well coached football team. Their QB and receiver were as good as we've faced." 1. It's true. 2. It says something about our character. I would much rather read the Kalamazoo headline that says "UConn is Classy in defeat--praises WMU QB"

Reaction Score
Sorry Carl, that's not being a good loser or even a "loser". It's publicly recognizing the exceptional play of your opponent while privately tongue lashing your own guys in the locker room. That's what class programs and class coaches do. It's why we teach our kids to shake hands and say "good game" after a victory or defeat. In your world, they should be saying "you suck".

Reaction Score
Nostical-

Which quote was disrespectful?

Pasqualoni managed to call WMU “a solid team with a good quarterback.”

or

“When it’s those numbers, usually, it indicates you weren’t able to get to (the quarterback) enough,”

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Nostical-

Which quote was disrespectful?

Pasqualoni managed to call WMU “a solid team with a good quarterback.”

or

“When it’s those numbers, usually, it indicates you weren’t able to get to (the quarterback) enough,”

WingU - Where did Nostical ever say those quotes were disrespectful? I couldn't find that in his post.

Reaction Score
WingU - Where did Nostical ever say those quotes were disrespectful? I couldn't find that in his post.
CTMike-
Ok, I'll play your game. Where in my post did I accuse Nostical of saying those quotes were disrespectful? I couldn't find that in my post.

The conclusion of the article is UConn and others didn't show enough respect to WMU post-game. Nostical agreed and defended the conclusions made in the article. So my question stands, but I can rephrase it if you'd like.

Nostical - Which quote in the article wasn't respectful enough?

Is that better?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
In your zeal to make everyone aware of your argument making prowess, you tend to overlook the fact that Nostical's point was very simple - we could have offered up a compliment or two to an opponent that was better than we thought they would be, and it would have been classy to do so. No more, no less. No one is saying that there was any DISrespect, or not enough respect.

And not that Nostical needs any defending, these are just my observations.

Reaction Score
In your zeal to make everyone aware of your argument making prowess, you tend to overlook the fact that Nostical's point was very simple - (1)we could have offered up a compliment or two to an opponent that was better than we thought they would be, and it would have been classy to do so. No more, no less. (2)No one is saying that there was any DISrespect, or not enough respect.

And not that Nostical needs any defending, these are just my observations.
(1)So when Pasqualoni called WMU "a solid team with a good quarterback", he wasn't offering up a compliment?

(2)That's exactly what the article is saying. Maybe you should read it and let Nostical speak for himself.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I did read it. Hopefully the fact that I have underlined this makes that more clear.

Reaction Score
I just saw your back and forth. I wasn't implying that what Coach P said lacked respect. Simply that, as Mike pointed out, it could have been better said. The article was described by Jimmy as "silly and whining"-- and Carl said "a good loser is a loser". That attitude diminishes the type of program I want us to be. One that both wins and loses with class. Smaller programs try like heck to gain a modicum of recognition. The QB and receiver deserved a greater public accolade from our side. I recall a losing coach last year (I think it was Vandy's) saying "we got beat by one heck of a running back out there in Todman. Have you seen a better back in the country this year?" I thought that showed some class. Spackler would point out that their coach was a loser (and he was) but that doesn't diminish the gesture.
And let's be real here. If we had beaten Oklahoma, and Todman had run for 250 yards and we sacked Landry Jones 5 times for losses and then in the post game Bob Stoops said " UConn was a solid team with a good running back but we stunk up the joint. Our O line didn't play to our usual standards and we missed a lot of tackles. And there was no excuse for our safeties to get crossed up on several plays. When you do that, you make any running back look good." I dare say Jimmy and Carl and the rest would have called the Sooners a classless bunch for not recognizing what we had accomplished that night. It's not that hard a concept to understand, is it?

Reaction Score
It is amazing that there are so many folks who don't have a grasp of common sportsmanship, but that may just be a sign of the times.

Reaction Score
Article isn't silly. It's a realistic recognition that most teams see losing to a MAC opponent as their fault, rather than the other guys having better players--or coaching. I think it would have been classy for our guys to say "that was a well coached football team. Their QB and receiver were as good as we've faced." 1. It's true. 2. It says something about our character. I would much rather read the Kalamazoo headline that says "UConn is Classy in defeat--praises WMU QB"

I agree in theory, but in practice, this is a team that has blown several consecutive fourth quarter leads and lost close games. They're just kids. And as emotional as we might feel about them, they probably feel it 10 times harder. So yeah, it'd be nice of they were magnanimous and complimentary, but it's hard in a post-game conference when you're wallowing to kiss the butt of the team that just beat you, too.

Reaction Score
this is just so stupid Pasqualoni gave WMU credit and praised their qb. They are talking to the team just minutes after losing a tough game how do you think they are going to respond it would be the same response if they played a team like LSU or Alabama. Its not like we just played 2001 Miami here.

Reaction Score
Apparently, what P said wasn't good enough unless he put Carder right into the college football HOF.

In addition, quotes were cherry picked by the columnist and complimentary quotes praising Carder and the WR's were not mentioned because it didn't fully fit into what he wanted to write. I heard players and coaches give WMU their due in the post game in the car after the game. Not good enough for some.

Like I said, SILLY article. I stand by that.

And Nostical, don't put words in my mouth. I thought we sounded like a bunch of crybabies because Spurrier didn't say exactly what we wanted to hear. I got enough satisfaction beating them on the field. But that's just me.

Reaction Score
I did read it. Hopefully the fact that I have underlined this makes that more clear.

No one is saying that there was any DISrespect, or not enough respect.
From the article....
"Something was missing Saturday night from the Connecticut football team’s postgame news conference... ...
That is respect — at least publicly — for Western Michigan University’s football program, its players and their abilities relative to what happened on the field."

Looks like someone is saying there wasn't enough respect to me.

Reaction Score
It is amazing that there are so many folks who don't have a grasp of common sportsmanship, but that may just be a sign of the times.
It's amazing how many people hear a coach call a team "solid" and their QB "good" and view that as a lack of respect.

Reaction Score
why are you guys bickering about what some dope in Michigan thinks about whether or not we complimented them enough in our postgame presser?

Reaction Score
I wasn't implying that what Coach P said lacked respect.

The point of the article is that Coach P (and others) showed a lack of respect after the game, that's what I took exception to. I don't think he did anything wrong. He praised the other team after a tough loss, nothing he did or said shows a lack of class. He spent the majority of time talking about his team, what they need to fix, what they did wrong, because that's his focus.

If Stoops had said any of that stuff he'd be 100% right, and I wouldn't complain one bit.

Reaction Score
why are you guys bickering about what some dope in Michigan thinks about whether or not we complimented them enough in our postgame presser?
Everything about this season sucks, why should this thread be any different?

;)

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
From the article....
"Something was missing Saturday night from the Connecticut football team’s postgame news conference... ...
That is respect — at least publicly — for Western Michigan University’s football program, its players and their abilities relative to what happened on the field."

Looks like someone is saying there wasn't enough respect to me.
I bow down to your superior intellect. I wasn't referring to the article where you were quoting me (I was referring primarily to commenters on this thread). My apologies for not making that more clear.

Reaction Score
I bow down to your superior intellect. I wasn't referring to the article where you were quoting me (I was referring primarily to commenters on this thread). My apologies for not making that more clear.

I don't know why you're playing the victim, you took a condescending tone with me from the very beginning for no reason.

Apology accepted.

Reaction Score

Were you referring to me? Like when I said WMU's QB and WR's were better than anything we have, and by a wide margin? Was that the disrespect from the commenters you're talking about?

Or, do you agree that it's a silly piece?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Wasn't referring to you at all, Jimmy. Your comment about WMU's QB and WR's was spot on, the evidence was on the field on Saturday. Though I didn't have any issue with the article, either. They are a good team looking for recognition for making some strides. No big deal.

Officially retiring from message board snark-battles. Today, at least. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom