UConn didn't compliment WMU enough | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn didn't compliment WMU enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When we start winning again, we'll all start getting along better.

Losing makes me cranky.

Reaction Score
They won the flippin' game. That alone should be enough for them and that writer. That fact that this guy is cherry-picking quotes and spinning them as "lack of BCS respect for WMU" reeks of desperation on his part.

Reaction Score
Well here's another example of what I'm talking about in a general sense. It doesn't take much to turn opinion either way. A few classy comments or a few snarky ones can make a big difference in the perception of your program, you as a coach, and your University. This coach feels disrespected.

FORT WORTH, Texas -- TCU coach Gary Patterson remains unhappy over what he thinks were bad calls in Saturday's overtime loss to rival SMU. But that's not all that has him really angry.
On Tuesday the Iron Skillet rivalry got some extra sizzle when Patterson said he is ending whatever civil relationship the two programs share after he felt disrespected by postgame comments from SMU coach June Jones and a Mustangs player.
Patterson, 9-2 against SMU as head coach, said he took note of a Jones comment saying that TCU hasn't changed much over the years, which Patterson seemed to interpret to mean his team is easy to game plan for. Patterson also took exception to wide receiver Darius Johnson saying, "I don't like these TCU people."

Reaction Score
Sorry Carl, that's not being a good loser or even a "loser". It's publicly recognizing the exceptional play of your opponent while privately tongue lashing your own guys in the locker room. That's what class programs and class coaches do. It's why we teach our kids to shake hands and say "good game" after a victory or defeat. In your world, they should be saying "you suck".

Oh boy, seriously?

The line I wrote comes from Vince Lombardi. Direct quote. Should have referenced it I guess, but I pretty much thought is was a common knowledge kind of saying.

"Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." -Vince Lombardi, namesake of the NFL super bowl trophy.

There's nothing offensive or disrespectful in anything Pasqualoni said after the WMU game, and he did give that team adequate praise. The writer twists it. What should he [P] have said? According to the writer, I suppose anything short of "wow, those guys belong in a BCS conference."would have been unacceptable.

What I think the problem here, in that article is, that you've got a writer covering a program and that was not a good loser against two other BCS programs.

That's fine w/ me.

Reaction Score
Well here's another example of what I'm talking about in a general sense. It doesn't take much to turn opinion either way. A few classy comments or a few snarky ones can make a big difference in the perception of your program, you as a coach, and your University. This coach feels disrespected.

FORT WORTH, Texas -- TCU coach Gary Patterson remains unhappy over what he thinks were bad calls in Saturday's overtime loss to rival SMU. But that's not all that has him really angry.
On Tuesday the Iron Skillet rivalry got some extra sizzle when Patterson said he is ending whatever civil relationship the two programs share after he felt disrespected by postgame comments from SMU coach June Jones and a Mustangs player.
Patterson, 9-2 against SMU as head coach, said he took note of a Jones comment saying that TCU hasn't changed much over the years, which Patterson seemed to interpret to mean his team is easy to game plan for. Patterson also took exception to wide receiver Darius Johnson saying, "I don't like these TCU people."

Football is a sport that draws the most competitive of competitive men. It's a game of controlled violence.

To expect that coaches are any different than players when it comes to squaring up with an opponent, isn't realistic.

The game of football at all levels is populated by teams, organizations, players and coaches that get very steamed at winning and losing and what happens around it.

There's no excuse of disrespectful behavior, and it's very hard to be the good Catholic and turn the other cheek, and there's not a coach or player that says or does something dumb in the heat of a fight, and doesn't regret it, and would rather just wait for actions to speak for themselves the next time you line up.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I've read all the articles on last week's game. Coach P at least mentioned WMU, try to find an article where the WMU coach talks about UConn. It's not disrespect - it's coachspeak. The coaches are focusing on what their teams did, not the other guys.

To be clear on the OP, it's the newspaper columnist complaining about lack of respect, not anyone from WMU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom