UConn/D'Amelio NIL Collective Officially Launched | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn/D'Amelio NIL Collective Officially Launched

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You can drive the length of the entire state in less than two hours. There isn’t a part of the state that exists outside of the sphere of the state university’s influence and there is no population in the state that has somehow pledged fealty to another state.

The folks making broad, sweeping statements about how one part of your dinky-ass state somehow considers themselves part of another state look stupid. I admire their tenacity in trying to look stupid, but they should stop.
I agree it's a small state and UConn covers all of it. Having never lived in Fairfield county, my perception of the difference, such as it is, comes from the TV metro area. If your local news is from New York, and not New Haven or Hartford, that makes some difference I'd think. Perhaps in the internet era it matters far less than it did when I was at UConn in the 80s. People from that part of the state seemed somewhat blissfully ignorant of what was going on in the rest of it. I can certainly be wrong about this, but that's how it seemed then. Today, with all the CT papers and TV stations online, I don't think it's comparable.

Reaction Score
I agree it's a small state and UConn covers all of it. Having never lived in Fairfield county, my perception of the difference, such as it is, comes from the TV metro area. If your local news is from New York, and not New Haven or Hartford, that makes some difference I'd think. Perhaps in the internet era it matters far less than it did when I was at UConn in the 80s. People from that part of the state seemed somewhat blissfully ignorant of what was going on in the rest of it. I can certainly be wrong about this, but that's how it seemed then. Today, with all the CT papers and TV stations online, I don't think it's comparable.
This I agree with as a kid growing up I never saw anything on the news from Connecticut it was always New York news in Fairfield county. Now I don’t think anyone watches local news much so it might not matter but it did then

Reaction Score
One example that's plausible is that over the decades the children of ultra wealthy people in Fairfield county grow up in Connecticut and are UConn fans. These children inherit the money and then give some to UConn athletics. Also, some people will genuinely use the endorsements of UConn athletes to help their businesses since the popularity of UConn is huge in the state. This is very valuable compared to colleges with less general support from the local community.
Bingo — if you grow up in Ridgefield, Wilton, Greenwich, and UConn offers the most exciting brand of basketball, we should win that mindshare over MLB or NBA. It’s just more entertaining, better quality sport. We might face more competition against the Rangers or Premier League, but UConn and the big East should own FC.

There may be some families that believe in Duke or Nova, but UPenn, Northwestern, MIT, liberal arts hoops is not capturing the imagination.

There are some huge fans down there. We need that demographic/growth in this era.

Reaction Score
Bingo — if you grow up in Ridgefield, Wilton, Greenwich, and UConn offers the most exciting brand of basketball, we should win that mindshare over MLB or NBA. It’s just more entertaining, better quality sport. We might face more competition against the Rangers or Premier League, but UConn and the big East should own FC.

There may be some families that believe in Duke or Nova, but UPenn, Northwestern, MIT, liberal arts hoops is not capturing the imagination.

There are some huge fans down there. We need that demographic/growth in this era.
College basketball is a more entertaining, better quality sport than NBA.

I love UConn basketball more than any other team in any sport but this is just a ridiculous statement.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom