UConn/D'Amelio NIL Collective Officially Launched | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn/D'Amelio NIL Collective Officially Launched

Reaction Score
Win/Win/Win.. Win for UConn.. Win for Student Athletes.. Win for D'Amelio Family ..

Great match between UConn and one of its most influential brand ambassadors..

Who steps up next??

Reaction Score
Fairfield county might as well be a different state. They consider themselves NY not New Haven or Hartford. They actually refer to anywhere in CT not in Fairfield county as “the upstate” and think it’s all back country. They don’t have any association with UConn unfortunately. Obviously a few exceptions, such as Marc, but overall it is not UConn country, sad to say.
Oh for sure. My friends, family and business acquaintances always refer to places like Hartford, Torrington, Middletown, Norwich and Willimantic as “the upstate.” Oh, and whenever I get on a Zoom work call and people ask where I am, I say, “Connecticut. But really, it’s New York.”

Seriously, your post reeks of contempt/disdain for people from a specific geographic area. That’s really sad. You’re also so wrong. I grew up in Fairfield County, went to Binghamton (gasp, a state school!) undergrad, UMass (another state school!) and NYU (good chunk of scholly) for grad school, and have been a lifelong UConn fan and donor in my adult years. I attend a local craft beer bottle share every Friday. About half the guys are originally from NYC environs. The hot topic yesterday? UConn transfers in/out. Even the non-natives adopt UConn sports as their rooting interest. Perhaps you should cross the Litchfield or New Haven County borders one day, venture into Stamford, and see how vibrant the UConn-Stamford campus has become, the UConn branded dorms that have been built, the UConn signage downtown, the summer concert series in Mill River Park - across the street from the UConn campus - where thousands of GenY and GenZ types are exposed to the UConn brand.

In case you didn’t know it, you are speaking out of a different opening than your mouth.

Reaction Score
Maybe if we played a few games in BGPT, the big dogs in Ffld County would throw some weight around.
But we finally get a break with the influence of this family in the current social media landscape. That, or if history serves, the NLI system will ceases do to our fortunes. So win win.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
Perhaps you should cross the Litchfield or New Haven County borders one day, venture into Stamford, and see how vibrant the UConn-Stamford campus has become, the UConn branded dorms that have been built, the UConn signage downtown, the summer concert series in Mill River Park - across the street from the UConn campus - where thousands of GenY and GenZ types are exposed to the UConn brand.

Wrong

Even if UConn Stamford has nice buildings it’s on literally nobody’s radar. What’s it offer one, maybe two full four year degrees? Most of the state doesn’t even know it exists, especially the families from Greenwich, Darien, Westport, New Canaan, Fairfield etc. Paying for a few pretty signs isn’t going to change that

The sad reality is a majority of families in those towns aim higher and are disappointed if their kids end up at UConn

Reaction Score
Wrong

Even if UConn Stamford has nice buildings it’s on literally nobody’s radar. What’s it offer one, maybe two full four year degrees? Most of the state doesn’t even know it exists, especially the families from Greenwich, Darien, Westport, New Canaan, Fairfield etc. Paying for a few pretty signs isn’t going to change that

The sad reality is a majority of families in those towns aim higher and are disappointed if their kids end up at UConn

Wrong.

Thanks for your efforts to spread a misinformed (incorrect) clown take on the Boneyard. Try four year degrees in NINE majors and three graduate degrees.

UConn-Stamford has become a major player in entrepreneurship and incubating small businesses. Not to mention its role in feeding talent to all of the media companies - digital, linear, cable - that have replaced the financial services sector as the most dominant industry in the area.

Reaction Score
Fairfield county might as well be a different state. They consider themselves NY not New Haven or Hartford. They actually refer to anywhere in CT not in Fairfield county as “the upstate” and think it’s all back country. They don’t have any association with UConn unfortunately. Obviously a few exceptions, such as Marc, but overall it is not UConn country, sad to say.
Not true....at all. I suggest your post says more about you than the people of Fairfield County. Lived here my whole life. Nobody thinks what you are saying. Literally all my family and friends that like basketball are big UConn fans. We don't consider us New York any more tham you consider yourself Massachussetts.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I am truly amazed that the "chip on their shoulder" attitude those outside of Fairfield county have towards this part of the state still exists.

It appeared (when I first spent extended time in the middle of the state, quite 44 years ago) to be some badge of honor by those from other parts of Ct making it clear that they viewed Fairfield county residents as "not one of us".

I imagine that (at least 1978-1982, my college years) my first exposure had to do with whether you were aligned with NYC or Boston due to geography and terrestrial television but, by the mid 1990's, when I lived in the middle of the state and (for a few years) worked in Hartford, there appeared to be far less animosity towards the part of the state in metro NYC. Logically there shouldn't be much remaining any longer but obviously there are still many who hold onto some fabricated grudge.

In my current circle at work there is a running joke on where "upstate" begins in New York (a couple coworkers are originally from 35-75 miles north of NYC, another from western NY state, while a couple others had grown up in the boroughs). One standard punch line is "depending on where you are from, upstate could begin in Yonkers".

How is referring an area somewhat north of Bridgeport "upstate" an insult? I would really like to understand that interpretation.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I am truly amazed that the "chip on their shoulder" attitude those outside of Fairfield county have towards this part of the state still exists.

It appeared (when I first spent extended time in the middle of the state, quite 44 years ago) to be some badge of honor by those from other parts of Ct making it clear that they viewed Fairfield county residents as "not one of us".

I imagine that (at least 1978-1982, my college years) my first exposure had to do with whether you were aligned with NYC or Boston due to geography and terrestrial television but, by the mid 1990's, when I lived in the middle of the state and (for a few years) worked in Hartford, there appeared to be far less animosity towards the part of the state in metro NYC. Logically there shouldn't be much remaining any longer but obviously there are still many who hold onto some fabricated grudge.

In my current circle at work there is a running joke on where "upstate" begins in New York (a couple coworkers are originally from 35-75 miles north of NYC, another from western NY state, while a couple others had grown up in the boroughs). One standard punch line is "depending on where you are from, upstate could begin in Yonkers".

How is referring an area somewhat north of Bridgeport "upstate" an insult? I would really like to understand that interpretation.
The chip on the shoulder in this thread is not towards the people in Fairfield County; it seems to be coming from them.

I'm from Fairfield County, but Bridgeport/Stratford--i.e., not the part many who live there like to acknowledge. I went to high school in Fairfield, where the vast majority came from the wealthier zip codes. I still have friends from there and all over the state.

I would not paint the county with the broad brush many here do.

I have never heard anyone refer to any part of Connecticut as "upstate." Seems pretty silly to me when almost anywhere in the entire state can be reached within an hour.

The upstate New York thing has been a running joke forever. My wife is from Utica and she scoffs when people refer to Westchester as "upstate." But they don't even consider Albany upstate.

Last edited:

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
Wrong.

Thanks for your efforts to spread a misinformed (incorrect) clown take on the Boneyard. Try four year degrees in NINE majors and three graduate degrees.

UConn-Stamford has become a major player in entrepreneurship and incubating small businesses. Not to mention its role in feeding talent to all of the media companies - digital, linear, cable - that have replaced the financial services sector as the most dominant industry in the area.
Oh my god, they offer nine whole majors now!!! Talk about a MASSIVE footprint. That’s really a big deal compared to the 115+ offered at storrs and most importantly it’s DEFINITELY a needle mover for the towns along the Gold Coast!!!

Again glad the new billboards downtown really sold this alternative reality for you!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Oh my god, they offer nine whole majors now!!! Talk about a MASSIVE footprint. That’s really a big deal compared to the 115+ offered at storrs and most importantly it’s DEFINITELY a needle mover for the towns along the Gold Coast!!!

Again glad the new billboards downtown really sold this alternative reality for you!
What's your point? He proved you wrong. There are more majors than you said there were, and they are targeted towards the local industries, which are supporting them.

How is that a bad thing? Seems to me that it's a very attractive option for lots of people and a benefit to Connecticut businesses.

We get that you have zero interest in it, but there's no need to project your animosity on to others.

Rooting against it is a real head-scratcher.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
What's your point? He proved you wrong. There are more majors than you said there were, and they are targeted towards the local industries, which are supporting them.

How is that a bad thing? Seems to me that it's a very attractive option for lots of people and a benefit to Connecticut businesses.

We get that you have zero interest in it, but there's no need to project your animosity on to others.

Rooting against it is a real head-scratcher.
It’s not I’m happy UConn Stamford is growing and I want it to succeed. I think it’s a great thing for the university, the state, and city of stamford.

He did prove that statement wrong, but it was ancillary. My point was I don’t think Fairfield County is die hard UConn country. And a small albeit growing campus in Stamford does not make it so. Whether they have two majors or 9 majors is just a deflection from that larger point

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I haven't seen any interest in the Boneyard joining the collective. We need to unlock some of that tightly held 2 cent opinion money!!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The chip on the shoulder in this thread is not towards the people in Fairfield County; it seems to be coming from them.

I'm from Fairfield County, but Bridgeport/Stratford--i.e., not the part many who live there like to acknowledge. I went to high school in Fairfield, where the vast majority came from the wealthier zip codes. I still have friends from there and all over the state.

I would not paint the county with the broad brush many here do.

I have never heard anyone refer to any part of Connecticut as "upstate." Seems pretty silly to me when almost anywhere in the entire state can be reached within an hour.

The upstate New York thing has been a running joke forever. My wife is from Utica and she scoffs when people refer to Westchester as "upstate." But they don't even consider Albany upstate.
Unless your wife considers Syracuse part of Canada her opinion has no value in this forum.:cool:

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Having grown up in Norwalk in the 50s and 60s where my father was a New York sports fan and my mother a Boston sports, fan UConn didn't have much in the way of sports. We followed local HS teams and were big Calvin Murphy fans to the point we would take in his games at Calf Pasture. My wife and I both went to Stamford branch before the main campus and wouldnt trade that for a minute. Great teachers small classrooms but we didn't have the same "campus" experiences and didn't miss it. My point is that during my time at UConn with the exception of its polo team UConn didn't have very good sports. Its only after mens's and women's bball took off that I became a fan of UConn sports but I have always been a fan of my UConn education!

Reaction Score
I hope I am wrong, but when someone gets a simple and tangible $ offer from another school and we have to counter that with this ambiguous, we will help you built a social media brand - what’s the recruit’s decision going to be?
Maybe, this is what programs with no real dollars have to do, but we bet to have some real specifics about how it is monetized in real green tangible dollars.

Reaction Score
The fact that people really have skin in the game here defending/attacking Fairfield County is wild. I can honestly say I have never thought about whether it is "a part of CT" other than when I appled for jobs and figured it was close enough to family I should apply.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I know plenty of UConn grads and / or fans that live in Fairfield County, plenty. I would love to see UConn release information about donations by County. I'd bet they're the people that fill MSG when we're there

God knows they're not attending Yale games :)

UConn is a brand name

Having said that, back on topic, I'll donate to the cause. I like seeing us front and center on this

Reaction Score
And fwiw I know UConn's Stamford campus well. It's a solid school for business majors.

Underrated aspect as well is that I believe over half of the minorities on Storrs campus outside of Asian people attend a branch campus before Storrs. I don't remember the exact number but it was WAY MORE than I expected. That's good for the state and for the school's ranking and all that jazz.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom