UCONN-Creighton post game | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UCONN-Creighton post game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Aubrey’s injury is devastating. Felt like we were finally hitting our groove this season and she was the X factor. Truly devastating.
Aubrey’s injury is devastating. Felt like we were finally hitting our groove this season and she was the X factor. Truly devastating.

Couldn’t agree more. Losing Aubrey really limits are ability to match up with more athletic teams.

Reaction Score
Damn shame that Aubrey suffered her injury. I'm done thinking that all these injuries are bad luck/flukes or whatever other phrase you want to use. Something is very wrong within the program as far as strength and conditioning goes. These are premier athletes that are going down with significant knee injuries , almost every one via non-contact. Other programs have had players suffer knee injuries but not on the same scale and as often as UConn.

Unless you are a sports orthopedist and have had extensive involvement with all of these players, then the above post is absurd.

Reaction Score
The squad looked fantastic out there! Ice was playing well and she is looking more comfortable out there. Aubrey's injury, I hope that it isn't anything too serious. Like others have said, she was playing well and impacting the game in such a positive manner. Her energy and ability to play those passing lanes and be that slasher out there on the wing, you can't teach that stuff! She has been playing some outstanding basketball of late. I got her in my thoughts and prayers, hoping that it isn't anything too serious.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You know it doesn't work like that, Oldude... let's just celebrate Paige's brilliance and efficiency. No need to disparage a brilliant 'kid,' whose name, since it apparently slipped your mind, is Caitlin Clark.
Certainly not disparaging Clark who I have previously acknowledged is both a great player and the best shooter I’ve ever seen in WBB. However, I’m not quite prepared to hand her the NPOY just yet.

Reaction Score
Maybe. But then how do you explain the speed at which the other freshmen have acclimated to the change? Ice was as heavily touted and recruited as any of the others. With Aubrey going down now is her chance to step up; no more training wheels and coddling and excuses. Prove the doubters wrong now that we're into conference play and the matchups should be UCONN -30 every game.
jeff30189- - -All the coaches say that it normally takes the "big girls" longer to go from HS to college BB so Ice losing last year just set back her learning curve 1 full year!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Saw a very short presser with Jim Flanery and one of his gals. He was major league POed at his team. Strong implied his team gave up in the second half ..."what's 2 more...what's 4 more" ditto, ditto. Player poker faced. He plainly thought his team had there best shot at UConn and it was not to be.

Reaction Score
One last thought about Ice and that ball she saved from going out of bounds. She almost dived for it on the sideline and managed to flip it back in and we scored.

As he was praising her performance after the game, Geno quipped that in practice she never does stuff like that, as if she thinks "let the practice guys get that one." I doubt he meant to criticize her in public like that. Instead, I suspect he's been seeing her begin to do stuff just like that in practice, and this was his backhanded way of praising her.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Saw a very short presser with Jim Flanery and one of his gals. He was major league POed at his team. Strong implied his team gave up in the second half ..."what's 2 more...what's 4 more" ditto, ditto. Player poker faced. He plainly thought his team had there best shot at UConn and it was not to be.
Flannery was also very gracious towards Paige and UConn, including an off the cuff comparison between Paige & Clark. After last night’s game, it’s pretty clear who Flannery will vote for as NPOY.

Reaction Score
Flannery was also very gracious towards Paige and UConn, including an off the cuff comparison between Paige & Clark. After last night’s game, it’s pretty clear who Flannery will vote for as NPOY.
Beyond the NPOY, it will be interesting to see who is drafted first into the WNBA. I'll bet on Paige if she decides to go.

Reaction Score
The player was Lauren Jensen, who may have been responding to Flanery when, asked about their poor shooting, she said she wasn't worried about that. She also said she hated that they were outhustled, beaten at their own game in effect. I imagine those two are on exactly the same page. And she was also very gracious in her remarks about Paige and how happy she was to see her back and playing well... just not so well against them.

Reaction Score
Beyond the NPOY, it will be interesting to see who is drafted first into the WNBA. I'll bet on Paige if she decides to go.
I wonder if Aliyah Boston will have any input on who Indiana picks.

Reaction Score
The defensive strategy was interesting in this one. There were two times early in the game when I was annoyed with Paige for losing sight of the ball and not possibly getting a deflection. Then I realized it was by design - she was face-guarding the weak side and not so much playing man to man, but more just taking whoever made a backcut for Creighton and then the other UConn defender in the vicinity would take the player who stayed on the perimeter. Her entire role was just to take away the hard basket cuts, whoever was making them.

The 50 on the creighton side of the scoreboard showed it was pretty effective.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I wonder if Aliyah Boston will have any input on who Indiana picks.
Boston has a truly unique perspective, having been upset by both UConn & Iowa, with Paige & Clark going off in each of their respective upsets over SC. She has also played with both Paige & Clark in FIBA tournaments for the US team.

Reaction Score
Jim Flanery is (IMO) a "good man". I was surprised by the margin of victory... I predicted a mov of 22!

Reaction Score
One last thought about Ice and that ball she saved from going out of bounds. She almost dived for it on the sideline and managed to flip it back in and we scored.

As he was praising her performance after the game, Geno quipped that in practice she never does stuff like that, as if she thinks "let the practice guys get that one." I doubt he meant to criticize her in public like that. Instead, I suspect he's been seeing her begin to do stuff just like that in practice, and this was his backhanded way of praising her.
Listening on the audio streaming part of the broadcast, one of the announcers remarked that
Geno gave ICE a " high five" after she came out of the game for one of the many substitutions.
IMO the cup is more than Half FULL and it will continue to fill... maybe to "overflowing"??

Reaction Score
Certainly not disparaging Clark who I have previously acknowledged is both a great player and the best shooter I’ve ever seen in WBB. However, I’m not quite prepared to hand her the NPOY just yet.
'Twas the tone, my friend, the tone... I agree the NPOY isn't decided, nor should it be in early January.

Reaction Score
I don't think HuskyNan would think kindly of me for taking you up on that bet, but otherwise...

Reaction Score
i'm crushed. The quality of play is amazing. Can't say enough how proud I am watching them. But still - feel so bad for Aubrey. Her family. - I'm crushed.
Agree. Husky Nation entirely thinking of Aubrey and her family. While we all pray for Aubrey there is no doubt that she will want us all to rally around this team. They more than ever deserve our 110% support. They will be playing for Aubrey and all of the teammates who can not be on the floor with them. Attend as many games as possible. Let us all cheer them on.

Reaction Score
—it looked like Aubrey planted hard with her left leg when changing direction. The slo mo did not look good. I hope I am wrong. It ruined a fabulous night otherwise
—Aaliiyah like so many other UCONN greats keeps expanding her game. Watching her guard the perimeter and disrupt passing lanes increases an already high valued prospect at the next level.
-Geno has had years where he had to “hide” certain players on defense. They just could not defend the dribble. Not this team. All 8 are terrific on the ball.
-Ice continues to show brief glimpses of her skills. I hope Geno continues to give Edwards needed rest and let Ice continue to develop.
-They will still struggle with big teams but the guards are all committed to boxing out at the very least.
-Shade got her chance because of injuries and has not looked back. Still forces things on occasion but contributes in so many ways.
-Part of the joy tonight was the pick and roll action with Paige and Aaiyah
—Hoping for the best Aubrey
Aubrey started to grab for her leg while she was elevated. There is no doubt she will need surgery, and be the 5th player out for the 2023/2024 season as of January 4th. And Aubrey is not replaceable. She is the world's best "6th" man and now we have lost her. So we have seven. We have nine, yes, if you count Inez and DeBerry. I believe Inez can provide some decent minutes. But the fact is; we have three seniors who will each have to play 35 minutes or more. And four freshmen ( counting ICE as a freshman). I do believe each of the four will be come stronger. Ash and KK are already there. The question is; how high can they go and how long can they sustain it? Ice looked improved last night and should become more of a force every game. She must, by the way, or we are in trouble. And Q is probably a person who, by her junior year, will be an unstoppable All American. The question is; what happens between now and then? She is working hard and being productive. So good things are evident. But this is another year filled with tragedy for the Ladies.

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
'Twas the tone, my friend, the tone... I agree the NPOY isn't decided, nor should it be in early January.
I'd be willing to bet dollars to doughnuts it's gonna be earlier than you think. The day Clark passes Plum's Scoring record is the day most voters will decide to vote for Clark. Done deal! We can all move on with our lives after that. :) ;)

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Aubrey started to grab for her leg while she was elevated. There is no doubt she will need surgery, and be the 5th player out for the 2023/2024 season as of January 4th. And Aubrey is not replaceable. She is the world's best "6th" man and now we have lost her. So we have seven. We have nine, yes, if you count Inez and DeBerry. I believe Inez can provide some decent minutes. But the fact is; we have three seniors who will each have to play 35 minutes or more. And four freshmen ( counting ICE as a freshman). I do believe each of the four will be come stronger. Ash and KK are already there. The question is; how high can they go and how long can they sustain it? Ice looked improved last night and should become more of a force every game. She must, by the way, or we are in trouble. And Q is probably a person who, by her junior year, will be an unstoppable All American. The question is; what happens between now and then? She is working hard and being productive. So good things are evident. But this is another year filled with tragedy for the Ladies.
I popped my knee out of place stepping into a hole in Northern Iraq. They flew me to Incerlik with my leg stabilized. The doctor on duty got x-rays taken, then came in told me this is going to hurt and popped it back in place. I was in a walking brace for about a week and did some rehab, after about a month I was okay. So until the doctors or UConn comes out and says what is wrong with Aubrey, I'm going to stay hopeful.

Reaction Score
... we have three seniors who will each have to play 35 minutes or more. And four freshmen ( counting ICE as a freshman). I do believe each of the four will be come stronger. Ash and KK are already there.
Just in terms of minutes and stamina, I'm not worried. The starters can easily sustain 30, which they're practically doing that already. Can Q and Ice give him 20-25 mins each? Q is almost there and by the end of conference play Ice should be too.

The deeper question is whether Geno can continue to play the high energy, pressing defense without Aubrey. I don't know the answer to that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom