UConn @ College of Charleston (Fri. 2/22 @ 4p, Sat 2/23 @ 2p & Sun. 2/24 @ 12p) @ | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn @ College of Charleston (Fri. 2/22 @ 4p, Sat 2/23 @ 2p & Sun. 2/24 @ 12p) @

Reaction Score
Penders was not exactly thrilled with the effort tonight, and I don't blame him. Charleston is a good team that made mistakes of their own - I doubt they do that again tomorrow.

Yup, if it wasn't for the fielding errors and general defensive weirdness, it's very possible that Kersten could have made it through seven innings. Considering he is a pitcher who relies on his defense behind him, it is amazing he did as well as he did. By the way, it really sounds like Kersten has taken a big step up from last season, hopefully it will continue. He's been a big eye opener for me so far this season.

Reaction Score
Mother Nature steps in tonight for the postgame sound effects:

Penders mentioned it in the interview as well, but Paul Gozzo made a couple of terrific throws for outs that got the Huskies out of some of their troubles in this game. But then, UConn has been getting some great defense from its collection of catchers so far.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Yup, if it wasn't for the fielding errors and general defensive weirdness, it's very possible that Kersten could have made it through seven innings. Considering he is a pitcher who relies on his defense behind him, it is amazing he did as well as he did. By the way, it really sounds like Kersten has taken a big step up from last season, hopefully it will continue. He's been a big eye opener for me so far this season.

Very comfortable with him as our #2. If Dunlop can pitch up to his potential, the weekend staff will be set.

Reaction Score
Very comfortable with him as our #2. If Dunlop can pitch up to his potential, the weekend staff will be set.

Before the season started, I had my concerns with him as a weekend starter. But he did very well with Louisville and Charleston, two teams that can score some runs. I am getting quite comfortable with him now, and it will be even more assuming the team behind him starts to cut out the defensive lapses as the season progresses and the team gets more and more time playing and practicing outside.

Reaction Score
If Dunlop can pitch up to his potential, the weekend staff will be set.

Like Wills Montgomerie before him, I expect Colby Dunlop needs some time to settle into the weekend starting role. If Kersten keeps this up and Feole pitches the way he is capable of when he comes back, it will be easier to live with Dunlop's ups and downs as he figures things out.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Checked the forecast this weekend in Charleston - today looks good, tomorrow not so much. I would think we will play 2 as a result.

Reaction Score
Checked the forecast this weekend in Charleston - today looks good, tomorrow not so much. I would think we will play 2 as a result.

I'm inclined to think if they were playing a doubleheader today they would have announced it last night or very early this morning. I checked the forecast as well, it doesn't sound like an all day rain. It wouldn't surprise me if they moved the game up to something like a 10am start tomorrow, to try to avoid the mid day thunderstorms. Having a rain delay wouldn't hurt UConn so much, seeing as they are likely to have something of a staff day tomorrow.

Reaction Score
My wife was telling me that she heard Chris Jones say during the game yesterday that Anthony Nucerino did not make the trip due to an injury. I missed this, did anyone hear anything on this?

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
My wife was telling me that she heard Chris Jones say during the game yesterday that Anthony Nucerino did not make the trip due to an injury. I missed this, did anyone hear anything on this?

Yea, he has a hamstring issue of his own (evidently more serious than Winkel's). No timetable on his return yet.

It's a shame - he is the prototypical annoying as hell #9 hitter. Hopefully he will be back soon. The pressure is on Kyler Fedko to break out of his slump, which is never easy for a freshman to do.

Reaction Score
Top of the lineup producing again. Important since the bottom of the lineup still needs to join in the hitting fun. Chris Jones says this is the first time UConn has scored first in a game this season.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Winkel crushes one, but the first baseman makes a leaping catch to save an extra base hit. All eyes on Dunlop as we head to the bottom of the first.

Reaction Score
Woodworth gets on and steals 2 bases.

The stolen bases are meaningless as Toppa goes yard. 2-0 huskies!!!

Actually, Woodworth led off with a double, and then stole third. Still, I'll take the runs you posted.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Actually, Woodworth led off with a double, and then stole third. Still, I'll take the runs you posted.

Haha, my bad.

Dunlop gets out of a jam unscathed. 2-0 UConn, top 2. Gozzo continues to show he is the real deal defensively.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom