UConn Co-op Book Store Could Be Replaced By National Corporation | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn Co-op Book Store Could Be Replaced By National Corporation

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
What is the Co-op's main purpose? Answer that and go from there. Is it books? merchandise? students? alumni?

Pretty sure it is not to serve alums like me with more varied athletic-ware. But you can't decide between for- profits (and not-for-profits without looking at purpose).

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
This x1000000. Every other major school has other apparel shops in the college town right outside of campus which helps keep the cost of the items within the bookstore itself reasonable (among other things). Storrs Center easily should have a "Husky Shop" where you can go get UConn gear- one that is independent and not affiliated with the Co-Op.

@Joobie I wish you and anyone else affected by this move no harm but this is long overdue. The Co-Op as is currently is just not getting it done for the students.

and the bolded part is the problem. If the Co-op keeps a sweetheart deal where they get exclusivity or some other preferential treatment, it becomes increasingly difficult to have anyone try to compete privately. Ask Huskywear.

Reaction Score
With UConn bringing in Barnes & Noble to operate a Hartford branch store, quality Coop employees in Storrs may know the name of their potential future employer.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
With UConn bringing in Barnes & Noble to operate a Hartford branch store, quality Coop employees in Storrs may know the name of their potential future employer.
Yes. UCONN's board of trustees met today & the word is now official. B&N representatives are coming tomorrow to speak to Co-op staff. Staff has been promised employment at current pay, but hours & benefits have not been guaranteed.

Reaction Score
Edit: sorry for spacing, copied and pasted from my phone

Dear Students and Colleagues,

I write to share some exciting news: UConn has selected Barnes & Noble College to serve as the university’s next bookstore operator. Earlier today, the Board of Trustees authorized the university to enter into an agreement with the company that is expected begin on June 1, 2016.

As we have said from the beginning, we look forward to excellent service, increased affordability of academic materials, and robust community engagement on the part of Barnes & Noble, which runs hundreds of campus bookstores across the nation.

Great, high-quality bookstores are social and intellectual hubs of activity for campuses and communities. That is the kind of bookstore UConn deserves, and that is what this new generation of university bookstore will be for our campuses.

A UConn Today story has been posted about this selection, which can be found here.

I am pleased to note that the millions in revenue to UConn that this new relationship will generate will be devoted entirely to student financial aid and student support at the university. This is especially welcome in an era that has seen frequent shortfalls and cuts to UConn’s state funding. This revenue is not theoretical; it is a certainty thanks to the contractually guaranteed minimums we have built into the contract.

The contract calls for Barnes & Noble to operate a bookstore in the Hillside Road space currently occupied by the Co-op on the Storrs campus, the existing space in Storrs Center, and at our other campuses throughout the state.

It also paves the way for a vibrant, prominent bookstore in downtown Hartford, in close proximity to our new Hartford campus opening in fall 2017. There has not been a bookstore in downtown Hartford in many years and we are very excited about changing this. The Hartford bookstore will be a key component of our neighborhood campus and a great resource and gathering spot for our students, faculty, visitors, and the wider community.

The coming weeks will be a transition period from one operator to another. However, the change will be nearly seamless. No bookstore location will close for any significant period of time, so service to each of our campus communities will not be interrupted.

Over the next year to 18 months you will notice significant changes to the Hillside Road location, as well as to some other UConn bookstore locations. The stores will remain open and operating normally even as the spaces are updated or renovated.

I would like to thank the student, faculty, staff, and alumni representatives who served on our bookstore selection committee for their thoughtful approach in guiding the university’s thinking on this important issue.

Our highest priority has been to ensure that UConn is home to an outstanding bookstore that meets the needs of our entire community. We look forward to a successful partnership with Barnes & Noble to achieve that.

Sincerely,

Susan Herbst

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
When I graduated (86 as avatar attests) I donated my $25 fee to become lifetime member of the Co-Op. Can I get that back now that we've sold out to a corporate giant?

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
where do I trade in my 1982 Labaratory Anatomy of the Fetal Pig textbook? Hardly used, no highlights, part of Bio 107 where I scored a big 4 credit D.
ahhhhhh. good times.

Reaction Score
Bio 107? Hah, almost a gut ... went to each class, luckily sat next to a ridiculously smart coed way out of my field from day 1 through semester's end, leveraged her great class and book notes, barely cracked the book, matched her A- ... all benefits, academic and otherwise, then ended immediately. Heard she's a heart surgeon ... not I. Winning!

Reaction Score
Stopped by the bookstore today for the first time since the change as I was driving by anyway on my way back from Boston to avoid the mess on the Mass Pike from the accident Friday morning that still is causing a mess. Anyway, there is more space dedicated to UConn wear with Nike and Under Armor have stand-alone sections, unlike before. But, one thing I was look for, a new UConn Soccer hat as my current one looks nasty, they did not have. In fact, I did not see any individual UConn sports hats at all. Found that odd as the CoOp has always had them.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
State representatives praise affordable textbooks at UConn Bookstore

State Representative Gregg Haddad (D-Mansfield) and Senator Mae Flexer (D- Killingly) discussed the results of their legislation for Open Source Textbooks at a press conference at the UConn Bookstore Tuesday afternoon.

Open Source Textbooks are books that have open copyright licenses and can be accessed online for free by students. They can also include low cost print alternatives, where, in the case of UConn, students can spend $50 on a General Chemistry print book as opposed to the original $303.

“Those 2,000 students who are taking that course this year will save an estimated $500,000 in costs,” Haddad said. “With this information in hand, we need to act very boldly to ensure that we are making the most of the potential cost savings of open source textbooks in the future.”

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Was at a different university bookstore recently. They were a B&N one, as so many others are. The gear was nicer and more varied than we'd had with the co-op, but definitely not inexpensive. As an alumni, that's an acceptable trade off. Maybe less so as a college kid, though.

Drew

Reaction Score
UConn co-op to donate $250,000 to affordable textbook initiatives

The University of Connecticut’s Co-op is discussing plans to donate $250,000 to affordable textbook initiatives on campus, said president Timothy Dzurilla.

“The Co-op was started with the hopes of being able to supply students with affordable textbooks and the board of directors has decided that this is the best way to continue that mission,” Dzurilla said.

Funding is expected to come from the sale of the Co-op’s assets and inventory as part of the corporate dissolution process, Dzurilla said. The money would be donated to the UConn library system with an earmark for affordable open education resources, including textbooks.

The Co-op’s board felt supporting the development of open source resources was the best way to make a long term impact on the student body after closing its doors last year, said Joe Sweet, former treasurer for the Co-op.

Drew

Reaction Score
If you happen to be in the area today, great deal on UConn apparel:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Can we now agree the switch is one of the best things that has happened on campus? The Co-Op should have been replaced a decade ago.

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Went In there last week for some last minute Christmas shopping.

B&N did an incredible job there.

Reaction Score
The switch was getting more $$ from students and giving it to B&N. Yeah, with the extra money, it looks great! The prices on used books increased 400% but that's the game!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The coop was absolute garbage.

Now, it’s not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members