UConn Co-op Book Store Could Be Replaced By National Corporation | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn Co-op Book Store Could Be Replaced By National Corporation

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
The switch was getting more $$ from students and giving it to B&N. Yeah, with the extra money, it looks great! The prices on used books increased 400% but that's the game!

I'd take a wager your numbers are a bit off. lol

Reaction Score
I'd take a wager your numbers are a bit off. lol

Since we can't wager I can only say I've been on committees at 2 separate universities where this was discussed. A $20 new book used to be sold for $2 or 3 used. $10-12 post B&N. Students have gone to Amazon to defray the costs at B&N, but it is a world of difference than how it used to be.

the Q

Reaction Score
Since we can't wager I can only say I've been on committees at 2 separate universities where this was discussed. A $20 new book used to be sold for $2 or 3 used. $10-12 post B&N. Students have gone to Amazon to defray the costs at B&N, but it is a world of difference than how it used to be.

Yeah I was just messing around, and I also thought you meant 400% more than the old co-op price for the same book.

I was gonna say, I saw the data there. The difference between the 2 is quite small.

Amazon is going to be a pain for the textbook industry no matter who has a building in Storrs.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yeah I was just messing around, and I also thought you meant 400% more than the old co-op price for the same book.

I was gonna say, I saw the data there. The difference between the 2 is quite small.

Amazon is going to be a pain for the textbook industry no matter who has a building in Storrs.

I can't believe publishers are still printing college text books. It's so much more money for them to cut out the middle man and charge students a fee to get a key to "buy" the electronic book for the semester. Kills the secondary market too since each semester a key costs the same. No printing costs, no distribution, etc.

the Q

Reaction Score
I can't believe publishers are still printing college text books. It's so much more money for them to cut out the middle man and charge students a fee to get a key to "buy" the electronic book for the semester. Kills the secondary market too since each semester a key costs the same. No printing costs, no distribution, etc.

Digital rental model could work. I think it would be more expensive than you think since he margins on the books are just absurdly massive.

But still cheaper than the status quo.

We’ll get there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom