Uconn cancels football season | The Boneyard

Uconn cancels football season

Reaction Score
Let's be honest a much easier decision since they are an independent and lost at least 4 games due to other league decisions. The basketball team will be much different in the way they will review their upcoming season. But again, we can only hope there is a season!

Reaction Score
Let's be honest a much easier decision since they are an independent and lost at least 4 games due to other league decisions. The basketball team will be much different in the way they will review their upcoming season. But again, we can only hope there is a season!
I’m not mad at it. Almost is a saving face move IMO, all the teams going conference only. Don’t want your first season independent to have no one to play because others cancelled on you. It’s like the dump them before they dump you approach.

Reaction Score
Paying for testing and monitoring quarantining of 100+ players and staff constantly is expensive and difficult. This will be the first domino for FBS football not happening.

College basketball is about a 1/5 the number of players/personnel and there are a plethora of opponents within driving distance within each school. Plus add in the hope a vaccine or therapeutic is made available between now and January and maybe the country getting cases down to a reasonable level.

I don't know if CBB happens, but less people to track and factor of time give me hope.

Reaction Score
Why aren't sports just pushed back to the spring? There will be multiple vaccines before then.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
"The safety challenges created by COVID-19 place our football student-athletes at an unacceptable level of risk." - AD DB

I had been holding on to hope that there would be a college basketball season starting sometimes this spring, but reading the tea leaves of this comment, it doesn't look too good. If they feel competition is too dangerous for the football guys, don't see how basketball is any different.

Even if a vaccine is available by spring, it probably isn't going to be given to healthy 20s somethings in peak physical condition with access to world class health care, it's going to the old and high-risk first.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
So the question needs to be asked. Will football ever return? We have no idea what the situation will look like a year from now for the school financially, health/safety wise, etc. Football participation at the youth level in the state has plummeted. Football was already eating a ton of money. They may just cut their loses at this point right?

Reaction Score
"The safety challenges created by COVID-19 place our football student-athletes at an unacceptable level of risk." - AD DB

I had been holding on to hope that there would be a college basketball season starting sometimes this spring, but reading the tea leaves of this comment, it doesn't look too good. If they feel competition is too dangerous for the football guys, don't see how basketball is any different.

Even if a vaccine is available by spring, it probably isn't going to be given to healthy 20s somethings in peak physical condition with access to world class health care, it's going to the old and high-risk first.

The logistics of football - 100+ personnel - are much more challenging to scale safely than basketball.

Probably wont happen but lets say some arena partners with the big east and they create a big east bubble a la NBA?

The teams already have devoted academic advisors and infrastructure of support staff, probably not as big a leap, esp with remote learning this semester.

Reaction Score
So the question needs to be asked. Will football ever return? We have no idea what the situation will look like a year from now for the school financially, health/safety wise, etc. Football participation at the youth level in the state has plummeted. Football was already eating a ton of money. They may just cut their loses at this point right?
Way to many variables that remain in play to know what the future holds. I do think this was 100% the right the call but unfortunately, I do also feel this may have ramifications going forward.

Reaction Score
Way to many variables that remain in play to know what the future holds. I do think this was 100% the right the call but unfortunately, I do also feel this may have ramifications going forward.

UConn is pretty lucky it doesn't own Rentschler Field.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
What ramifications?

I'd be interested in how it affects recruiting. Gut is telling me it's not a positive, although if other indies also cancel seasons, that might be a wash.

Reaction Score
I think football returns.

The scheduling only gets better after this first year.

With all of the variables of 1st year Indy and Covid, this early call to skip this year is not only obvious, but also decisive. UConn could have waited to see what unfolds, but this is a good move to consider the landscape and be the first to make a decision this year.

UConn has had enough success on setting its Indy path with scheduling and a tv contract to think this season will hurt its future. This actually saves money in a high cost and low revenue transition year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom