Uconn cancels football season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Uconn cancels football season

Reaction Score
I think you're going to find a lot of schools (with schedules and teams to play) following UConn's decision quite soon
Probably others will cancel but nobody is following UConn's decision. UConn was the first to do it because they had nobody to play, there's no way they go out on a limb and announce they are the first to cancel the season if they had a conference slate.

Reaction Score
Probably others will cancel but nobody is following UConn's decision. UConn was the first to do it because they had nobody to play, there's no way they go out on a limb and announce they are the first to cancel the season if they had a conference slate.

Of course UConn could find teams to play. At worst, H&H's with the other non-ND Independents just about fills up the schedule. The problem was state of CT travel restrictions and the limited opponents that wouldn't require quarantining.

Reaction Score
Of course UConn could find teams to play. At worst, H&H's with the other non-ND Independents just about fills up the schedule. The problem was state of CT travel restrictions and the limited opponents that wouldn't require quarantining.
I obviously meant a real schedule, they get nothing out of playing Central.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
It's beyond obvious that Democrats are exploiting the BLM movement in order to facilitate COVID fear/hysteria. The fact that black people have been disproportionately impacted by the virus only further dims the optics of sending a bunch of them out there without pay to generate revenue for the school/state.

Of course, we all know they would have no problem doing so if it were profitable. No gate money + four games already canceled makes it easy to play the virtue card.
Or not...

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Why aren't sports just pushed back to the spring? There will be multiple vaccines before then.
There are no guarantees for a vaccine by then and if there are vaccines why are they giving them out to college football players first while front line/essential workers and at risk populations go without?

Reaction Score
There are no guarantees for a vaccine by then and if there are vaccines why are they giving them out to college football players first while front line/essential workers and at risk populations go without?

The contracts for the first half of next year have been made for a billion doses of vaccine

Reaction Score
There's no guarantees in life but everything is pointing to there being multiple vaccines before then. The whole point of this is protecting the people who die from the virus, we're worried about schools opening because of spread to old people. Once there are vaccines things will be largely going back to normal whether you like it or not.

Reaction Score
The people that don't wear masks ... will they get vaccines ? I don't think everyone will just jump to get a vaccine.

The anti-vaccine movement is insane. One of these same anti-vaccine people I (use to) follow on social media won't take or give their kid vaccines but was posting about the benefits of hydrochlorawhatver. These people are completely nuts.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
There's no guarantees in life but everything is pointing to there being multiple vaccines before then. The whole point of this is protecting the people who die from the virus, we're worried about schools opening because of spread to old people. Once there are vaccines things will be largely going back to normal whether you like it or not.
Ah that it were, but that is not the full story on school opening. Kids have teachers and schools don't simply administer, clean or feed themselves. In addition, even if people, including the young, don't die, they often get severely ill, and the long term effects of covid infection are just now beginning to be understood.

Reaction Score
Bummer. As a new season ticket holder at Gampel, I am holding out hope for a basketball season. If election year politics are playing any role in our quarantine decisions, on the bright side the men do not really suit up until after the election!

Reaction Score
The people that don't wear masks ... will they get vaccines ? I don't think everyone will just jump to get a vaccine.

Which countries too? Who gets them?

They are planning to vaccinate a fraction of the planet. What next?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Given travel quarantine restrictions, a sports season is simply not possible in Connecticut in three weeks.
We could still show great progress as a state, the University having its kids go back on campus could go great too, but nothing is going to happen at all unless Lamont starts dialing back restrictions on travel between states.

Reaction Score
The anti-vaccine movement is insane. One of these same anti-vaccine people I (use to) follow on social media won't take or give their kid vaccines but was posting about the benefits of hydrochlorawhatver. These people are completely nuts.

I am curious why you believe this to be nuts? Hydrochlorawhatver has proven to be safe over 70 years of use and billions of doses consumed. The FDA approves its use for pregnant ladies if I am not mistaken. It is about as safe as a prescription drug can be.

The vaccine on the other hand is by all accounts being fast tracked with little in the way of the usual controls or proof of efficacy. If there is ever a vaccine that is risky for a child to take, this is the one.

It is also fair to note that an “anti-vaxer” is one end of the extreme of our society. I believe reasonable people in the middle are those, like myself, who wish to decide what medicine you put in my body, and the body of my children. As the brother of a vaccine injured sister, and the victim of a vaccine reaction that had me in a coma on life support, with my parents not far from having to decide whether to pull the plug on their 2 year old boy, I will say that it is quite irritating for people who barely read the news yet think they are educated enough to be smug about anti vaxxers and cavalier about forcing it upon people who very well may be deathly allergic to it. Weighing the public good versus the good of your children is not a simple calculation.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Bummer. As a new season ticket holder at Gampel, I am holding out hope for a basketball season. If election year politics are playing any role in our quarantine decisions, on the bright side the men do not really suit up until after the election!
50% election year politics IMO.

Reaction Score
It is also fair to note that an “anti-vaxer” is one end of the extreme of our society. I believe reasonable people in the middle are those, like myself, who wish to decide what medicine you put in my body, and the body of my children. As the brother of a vaccine injured sister, and the victim of a vaccine reaction that had me in a coma on life support, with my parents not far from having to decide whether to pull the plug on their 2 year old boy, I will say that it is quite irritating for people who barely read the news yet think they are educated enough to be smug about anti vaxxers and cavalier about forcing it upon people who very well may be deathly allergic to it. Weighing the public good versus the good of your children is not a simple calculation.
Very well spoken! For myself, I definitely will take one of the vaccines but not necessarily the first one that is available- perhaps wait a couple of months at least before getting it- maybe if there are adverse reactions then I will avert them by waiting a little.

Reaction Score
Very well spoken! For myself, I definitely will take one of the vaccines but not necessarily the first one that is available- perhaps wait a couple of months at least before getting it- maybe if there are adverse reactions then I will avert them by waiting a little.
This is probably the most level headed approach. No matter how anybody feels about a vaccine, that's what it's going to take for things to start getting back to normal, or should I say a "new" normal. Im no medical expert, but Im hoping they come up with some kind of treatment for the virus like we have for regular colds and flu. That along with a vaccine would make things a lot easier.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom