UConn: Cancelling 2020 Season An Option? (Updated 8/5 to yes) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

UConn: Cancelling 2020 Season An Option? (Updated 8/5 to yes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Why haven't sports been moved to the spring?
It would take virtually every opponent being on board of havingbto do a whole new schedule and who knows how many other complications. Maybe they will try. Nothing is normal.

Reaction Score
It was an untenable situation, there really was no other option. NCAA is going to have to deal with eligibility situations, which as obvious as they might seem, the NCAA makes some dumb choices at times. Think the transfer portal is going to be very active. Every school has seniors graduating in the 2020-21 school year, and many will choose to forgo football and start life, others will use the portal, some will stay. The portal may need some legislation, because there will be an unusual amount of kids completing 4 years, with eligibility remaining. Going to get sticky. It will be worse if some schools play and others don't. Can the NCAA shut everything down?

Reaction Score
Get Up on ESPN is opining that the UConn decision to cancel football is based on $: not having the ability or resources to adequately test players and staff. Has anyone heard this? I know the program is financially challenged, but I’ve never heard that the inability to test or expense of testing—for a university with a medical school—would be a roadblock.

Reaction Score
Get Up on ESPN is opining that the UConn decision is based on $: not having the ability or resources to adequately test players and staff. Has anyone heard this?

Well...it is true that testing was a problem...Randy was spouting 10 day turnarounds on results.

It is true that the season's schedule was wrecked...no big pay games.

And closing down will probably save a strapped UConn Athletic Department money.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Let the off-season begin! How's recruiting going?

Reaction Score
...the smartest thing to do was declare that you were on the side of the angels, take your ball and go home. Look like you are above the fray.

A much easier decision than opting out of the basketball season if Covid is still around.

Reaction Score
...the smartest thing to do was declare that you were on the side of the angels, take your ball and go home. Look like you are above the fray.

A much easier decision than opting out of the basketball season if Covid is still around.
The difference between football and basketball is we have a conference for one but not the other. We're not going to suddenly have a schedule go blank because the opponents decide not to play us en masse .

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Get Up on ESPN is opining that the UConn decision to cancel football is based on $: not having the ability or resources to adequately test players and staff. Has anyone heard this? I know the program is financially challenged, but I’ve never heard that the inability to test or expense of testing—for a university with a medical school—would be a roadblock.
Syracuse producer fingerprints

Reaction Score
1. There will not be a full college football season. While I wish we weren't the first ones to cancel, I didn't think we'd play. Conferences may get started but as an Indy we never had a chance.

2. Given our athletic department's economic issues, and the fact that if we did play it would almost certainly not be in front of fans at home, and how little we'll get for TV revenue, I can absolutely see the cost of playing and meeting all testing and quarantining protocols being too expensive to justify playing, while Alabama will want to try just because the money is there to deal with the extra expenses. Sad but reality.

3. I agree with JMoney. If conferences do get their seasons in, we may not survive this. But I'm not sure there were realistic options. Costs aside, just not sure you could put a schedule together.

Reaction Score
The difference between football and basketball is we have a conference for one but not the other. We're not going to suddenly have a schedule go blank because the opponents decide not to play us en masse .

absolutely true....and a basketball roster is more manageable in terms of testing...isolation, etc.

Reaction Score
CFB is not happening. The lawyers will bring any institution, conference and the NCAA to their knees quicker than a Rutgers coed.
When is that announcement coming? We've heard this for the last couple of months. The big schools are all saying they plan on starting their seasons in a little over three weeks, and some have even recently announced that they will allow fans in the stadiums. It may be crazy, but right now the bigger schools look like they are going to be business as usual with the caveat of reduced stadium capacity and some conferences only playing a conference only schedule.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
When is that announcement coming? We've heard this for the last couple of months. The big schools are all saying they plan on starting their seasons in a little over three weeks, and some have even recently announced that they will allow fans in the stadiums. It may be crazy, but right now the bigger schools look like they are going to be business as usual with the caveat of reduced stadium capacity and some conferences only playing a conference only schedule.

It will presidents and governors making that call not athletic departments lol.

Reaction Score
It will presidents and governors making that call not athletic departments lol.
So you think all these athletic departments putting out their press releases are doing it without first running it by the school itself which takes its cues from local government? Come on they aren't operating as some independent entity. The B1G conference just an hour ago released its official 10-game football schedule complete with conference championship game. You think they just did that without checking with anyone first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom