UConn: Cancelling 2020 Season An Option? (Updated 8/5 to yes) | Page 11 | The Boneyard

UConn: Cancelling 2020 Season An Option? (Updated 8/5 to yes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Gulp - can't even get a little bitty waiver signed? Yeah - how does one game get to kick off without some modicum of liability curbs?

Anyone who signs a liability waiver should be declared legally incompetent.

Reaction Score
I'll be curious to see what the players do in the coming month(s). I guess the kids who want a college education will stick. Those who want to play, who knows. Can't be good for recruiting.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I highly doubt that is the reason.
But, especially after the blowback we got from cutting sports, which then other schools did with barely a notice, it’s not surprising that you would see an article with that spin.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Anyone who signs a liability waiver should be declared legally incompetent.

Its standard thing to do in America for virtually every high risk activity; skiing (defacto with your lift ticket by state laws or skiing would have gone bankrupt decades ago), sky diving, mountain biking, paragliding, etc etc. Playing football during COVid is absolutely high risk. Heck, you can't play HS sports in CT w/o signing an acknowledge about concussions.

Without a waiver and at least an acknowledgement, I don't see how any clear thinking University President moves forward until we have a vaccine which could provide some cover. And if kids don't want to sign them I completely understand why. The waiver establishes the participants knew the risks and went forward anyway. There is still room for recourse, but it does become harder for the signee.

C

Chief00

Of course this health explanation is BS, we cancelled the season because our schedule fell apart as a result of OUR decision to go Independent.
We continue to make NCAA football history. Per ESPN headline, we are the first D1 college team to cancel the season after being the worst defensive team in history two years ago.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Of course this health explanation is BS, we cancelled the season because our schedule fell apart as a result of OUR decision to go Independent.
We continue to make NCAA football history. Per ESPN headline, we are the first D1 college team to cancel the season after being the worst defensive team in history two years ago.
Bad take. You are ignoring medical reality.

For starters, Randy is beholden to state medical guidelines and those alone make practicing very very changing after you get just a couple kids with symptoms and you follow contact tracing quarantine.

Other schools just haven't gotten there yet. They will in two to three weeks.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Yes, because an AAC schedule wouldn't have fallen apart or anything... :confused:

AAC schools located in a state on the CT quarantine list:

Navy
ECU
Cincy
ECU
UCF
USF
Houston
SMU
Tulsa
Tulane
Memphis

Reaction Score
In a world of bad Chief takes, this one is the worst. Come back here in two weeks when more than 1/2 of D1 has cancelled and then come back on 9/1 and we'll talk about all the exciting first weekend matchups. It'll be a short conversation

Reaction Score
Everyone is saying the right things now. I'm curious how many of the players actually stick it out and are on the roster for next year (if there is a next year). Not judging - but will be interesting to see.

Reaction Score
See if the ACC will throw us a bone. With all non conference games being cancelled LEt us play BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Virginia and ND that’s all not far travel distance. Maybe AAC let ls us get temple. There are options out there that could possibly happen. Or maybe let all indys not just ND get conference affiliation this year. I know there are a lot of people that want to see the plug get pulled on the program. However these kids have been working all quarantine and been back at school working. Let them play. I haven’t seen any positive results from the UConn camp. Not to mention come November Covid will more than likely disappear. To cancel the season over a virus that less than 2 percent of the country has gotten is absurd. LET THEM PLAY
BC and Syracuse makes sense....

Reaction Score

weren’t you a fan of the move to the big East?

Reaction Score
Full Benedict quote on possibility of hoops: “If the present circumstances continue, yeah, I think it will be difficult to operate and play. We’ve got 8,000 students coming back to campus the next couple of weeks. We’ve got to wait and see how that plays out."

Reaction Score
We should have waited to see if the ACC ends up cancelling their season. It is very possible.
At that point we could have played a short season with teams in the northeast that we don't have travel restrictions with:
Army, BC, Syracuse, Temple, UMass, Pitt.

Reaction Score
Is health a consideration for having 8,000 on campus?

We'll see what happens is the Benedict quote.

Sounds like P5 football.

Reaction Score
Go back to the basketball board.

Reaction Score
Question on the cancellation that I have seen on social media and I dont know the answer to. If we/UConn TRULY have the best interests of the student athletes in mind, then why didnt we cancel soccer, field hockey, etc. all at once? If just one of those kids in other sports gets sick then UConn is talking out of both sides of their mouths. Cancel it all if you are being consistent.

Reaction Score
Question on the cancellation that I have seen on social media and I dont know the answer to. If we/UConn TRULY have the best interests of the student athletes in mind, then why didnt we cancel soccer, field hockey, etc. all at once? If just one of those kids in other sports gets sick then UConn is talking out of both sides of their mouths. Cancel it all if you are being consistent.
The fall teams are also part of a conference and they (Big East) are actively discussing the likelihood of a season/timing/schedules.

Reaction Score
That's my point - so if UConn football was still in the AAC then it has nothing to do with keeping kids safe, it's that we have other schools to play. If we - as a school - made a decision to keep student athletes safe then there is no reason to cancel just one sport. You cancel ALL fall sports unless you are playing scrimmages on campus with kids who are secluded from any other places. If the decision to cancel football was only made because we knew as an indy we'd really have no games, then that is a really bad look to try to spin it the other way. There is no reason to wait, cancel all fall sports now if the aim is really to keep the student athletes safe.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I also continued to be stunned at the lack of understanding of the COVID situation by the general public. Far too many people are treating it as something to ride out, unlikely to have serious consequences to them or someone they love.
Someone on Twitter, a nobody, said it was a loss for AD David Benedict and HCRE. I countered and said it was a win in that he treated the players like people and not commodities. He replied that I was an Idiot. Another moron that doesn't get the concern for the players or even the fact that they had input. Also typical of people today in that a point of disagreement can't be discussed as adults and that I'm just stupid and wrong because I don't agree. God do I hate a lot of people these days.

Reaction Score
That's my point - so if UConn football was still in the AAC then it has nothing to do with keeping kids safe, it's that we have other schools to play. If we - as a school - made a decision to keep student athletes safe then there is no reason to cancel just one sport. You cancel ALL fall sports unless you are playing scrimmages on campus with kids who are secluded from any other places. If the decision to cancel football was only made because we knew as an indy we'd really have no games, then that is a really bad look to try to spin it the other way. There is no reason to wait, cancel all fall sports now if the aim is really to keep the student athletes safe.

I get your point but what is the advantage to show up/try to back the Big East into a corner before they make a decision on Fall/Winter Sports? UConn’s option to pull the plug will still remain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom