UConn: Cancelling 2020 Season An Option? (Updated 8/5 to yes) | Page 10 | The Boneyard

UConn: Cancelling 2020 Season An Option? (Updated 8/5 to yes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So you think all these athletic departments putting out their press releases are doing it without first running it by the school itself which takes its cues from local government? Come on they aren't operating as some independent entity. The B1G conference just an hour ago released its official 10-game football schedule complete with conference championship game. You think they just did that without checking with anyone first?
Obviously didn't check with their players.

Particularly the players at Iowa.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
So you think all these athletic departments putting out their press releases are doing it without first running it by the school itself which takes its cues from local government? Come on they aren't operating as some independent entity. The B1G conference just an hour ago released its official 10-game football schedule complete with conference championship game. You think they just did that without checking with anyone first?

Lol why are quoting me, when you agree with me?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I guess then I don't understand the point of your post??

People are calling on the NCAA/ conferences to make the decision. It wont be up to them(NCAA) to make the decision. College presidents and governors of states will be determining if sports are happening.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Get Up on ESPN is opining that the UConn decision to cancel football is based on $: not having the ability or resources to adequately test players and staff. Has anyone heard this? I know the program is financially challenged, but I’ve never heard that the inability to test or expense of testing—for a university with a medical school—would be a roadblock.

The correct perspective is to reverse the question. "Are the P5 pushing though with the season explicity for the $$$ in spite of player well being?" If you look at the news coming our of Colorado State, Washington State, the SEC and the ACC, the answer is an obvious, "Yes"

I think the thing I like best about Randy's program is that he treats his players as adults and prepares them to be adults far more often than most other programs.

I also continued to be stunned at the lack of understanding of the COVID situation by the general public. Far too many people are treating it as something to ride out, unlikely to have serious consequences to them or someone they love.

There has never been adequate testing. The NBA and other select entities have access to unlimited rapid testing, the general public does not, nor do most institutions which would include major universities. The testing lag of 7-10 days is not only real, it makes the test all but worthless as a week of uncontrolled spread is impossible to trace and impossible to quarantine.

We have too many sports media people treating this like a torn ACL where they move on to the next story. My guess is at least half the players don't want to play but most fear losing their spot or their scholarship because the machine they serve doesn't care about them more than the money they generate.

I think most schools and conferences are holding out hope and waiting until the last minute. I think UConn looked at the landscape and decided making a stand was worth more to the program than cobbling together an 8 game schedule of nobodies. I do no think money was an issue beyond the fact that unlike the SEC they aren't leaving an obscene amount on the table. UConn and the State of CT could have tested the team if they chose to proceed. This is about the players, preserving their health, their eligibility and in return the program gets a year to get better and gets to pitch to future recruits that you will be treated as people and your concerns will be heard.

Reaction Score
No other option. But can’t imagine this helps us long term. COVID might be the things that actually puts the nail in the coffin.

Going independent started the process - covid will probably just ensure it’s happens quicker.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Gulp - can't even get a little bitty waiver signed? Yeah - how does one game get to kick off without some modicum of liability curbs?

Reaction Score

>>The bottom line is that when the autopsy of the 2020 college football season is conducted, it will state the obvious about COVID-19’s role as saboteur. The spiral to get there – and it will be a classically disjointed process – has begun. The defections, cancellations and health concerns, taken individually, haven’t been enough to cancel the season. Collectively, they’ve created a new level of concern at the presidential level that will ultimately set the course for the sport.

“Each day, many campus executives become more unsure about playing fall sports,” said an industry source. “They read the headlines, they see the student concerns and they have a greater understanding of the risks involved. Ultimately, this may come down to simply who wants to go first.”

And this level of concern arrives before the two biggest obstacles of having a season have been addressed – students arriving back on campus and untenable contact tracing protocols that are destined to handcuff rosters.

It’s too early to declare the 2020 football season over. But the path to cancellation appears more obvious than the path to any type of functional and recognizable season. The beginning of the end is upon us, getting closer as the drumbeat of the news cycle grows louder and louder.<<

Reaction Score
No power so my apologies I can’t consolidate into one post like I would during an in season press conference:

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The larger schools may not follow yet but it's only a matter of time before UMass, NMSU, and a few other Indys close up shop. I think a G5 school will be the next big shoe to drop.

The part of all of this that is crazy is that a lot of these P5 schools not only plan to play, they plan on having fans in stands. At least pro sports know better than to do that.

Reaction Score
“Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.”
— Helen Keller

But she didn't take the long view. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member