UConn: Cancelling 2020 Season An Option? (Updated 8/5 to yes) | Page 13 | The Boneyard

UConn: Cancelling 2020 Season An Option? (Updated 8/5 to yes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

You are focusing on the wrong issue. Transferring liability should not be the driving factor for schools. Reducing risk should be the driving factor.
The big conferences are all going to play. In Alabama HS football was approved over a week ago.
The for the public - we care about health narrative is handled by cancelling UConn or other schedule fillers.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
You are focusing on the wrong issue. Transferring liability should not be the driving factor for schools. Reducing risk should be the driving factor.
As a tax payer I am focused on cost.

On the individual level I understand the drive and willingness most youth would have to trying to play during COVid. It’s a high risk- but actually far from insane for the demographic that plays college football. The data is pretty clear those under 30 are not burdened. What isn’t clear is long term impact and only time will determine.

I don’t begrudge UConn for shutting football down however. The team shut it down as much for the impracticality of the guidelines regarding distancing and tracing than which would completely prevent conventional practice vs the actual health risk to youth. The state university has to follow state guidelines and those just aren’t going to mesh with the needs of running a football program. It was also an easy decision because we have no conference mates to disappoint.

What’s crazy to me is to proceed without building a legal defense. Glad we aren’t playing in an environment with an attempt to curb liability.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And that is what I do not get...having 8,000 students on campus....

Both decisions are largely financial. The university can not afford to keep the campus closed for another semester (never mind year) and the AD can not afford to send the 100+ in the FB program flying around the country without some big payday games.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The big conferences are all going to play. In Alabama HS football was approved over a week ago.
The for the public - we care about health narrative is handled by cancelling UConn or other schedule fillers.

Well when this starts happening more, I don't think you'll see anyone playing football. This kid is showing the real issue with COVID, the long term effects. Everyone claims the low death percentage and they are right. However, these kids still catch COVID. This kid, and yes I keep using kid on purpose because that's what they still are, now faces heart issues.

This must be scaring the living heck out of ADs and Presidents. It's only selfish greed and fear of losing players to the stupid portal that are preventing schools from actually putting student athlete health first

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Well when this starts happening more, I don't think you'll see anyone playing football. This kid is showing the real issue with COVID, the long term effects. Everyone claims the low death percentage and they are right. However, these kids still catch COVID. This kid, and yes I keep using kid on purpose because that's what they still are, now faces heart issues.

This must be scaring the living heck out of ADs and Presidents. It's only selfish greed and fear of losing players to the stupid portal that are preventing schools from actually putting student athlete health first

Scaring university decision makers- absolutely. Scaring the public? Hard to say- need a lot more data. A lot of people could have pre existing conditions which are combing with the illness or this could be a very rare outcome or it could be a somewhat common outcome... we just don’t really know and probably won’t for many years. We are all living the experiment and trying to find balance.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Scaring university decision makers- absolutely. Scaring the public? Hard to say- need a lot more data. A lot of people could have pre existing conditions which are combing with the illness or this could be a very rare outcome or it could be a somewhat common outcome... we just don’t really know and probably won’t for many years. We are all living the experiment and trying to find balance.
It doesn't really matter with any of that. The reality is that this kid caught COVID at a voluntary workout and is suffering severe long term complications because of it.

You can try and spin it however you want but this is terrible on all fronts. Not sure or why you're even trying to defend this....

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
It doesn't really matter with any of that. The reality is that this kid caught COVID at a voluntary workout and is suffering severe long term complications because of it.

You can try and spin it however you want but this is terrible on all fronts. Not sure or why you're even trying to defend this....

If we spin every negative event into doom then we wouldnt get out of bed. Hundreds drown in residential pools every year yet we dont shut those down, instead we take reasonable precautions and enhance safety to a reasonable standard.

C

Chief00

So now we are relying on his mother that her 325 pound son had no underlying conditions and not medical science that identified obesity as one.

Reaction Score
I agree and this chart shows the fatality death risk. Let’s ignore the media poorly researched antidotal stories and go by the data. Experts tell us even these few deaths have serious underlying conditions such as cancer. Playing football for these students outside - is very, very low risk.
View attachment 57355
So in this thread you've pointed to Alabama High School football as a leading practice and have minimized an amateur athlete's health issues with zero understanding if he does or doesn't have underlying conditions.
You apparently have no humanity.

If even one person gets this insipid disease or worse dies from it because of amateur football and we as humans could have done something to prevent it and chose not to, than what kind of humans are we really?
BTW, how does Andre feel about this? Maybe ask him tonight when you're hanging out together in the bubble tonight and get back to us. Clown

Reaction Score
If even one person gets this insipid disease or worse dies from it because of amateur football and we as humans could have done something to prevent it and chose not to, than what kind of humans are we really?
Normally, 10-15 kids die each year playing amateur football. We could do something to prevent, by not playing football. I understand that COVID is unknown, and this is an incremental risk. But the standard already used is not zero deaths from playing amateur football.

C

Chief00

So in this thread you've pointed to Alabama High School football as a leading practice and have minimized an amateur athlete's health issues with zero understanding if he does or doesn't have underlying conditions.
You apparently have no humanity.

BTW, how does Andre feel about this? Maybe ask him tonight when you're hanging out together in the bubble tonight and get back to us. Clown

You could say the one person dies argument about flu deaths or traffic accidents deaths and no one ever goes to work or school. Not a smart practice.

My point about Bama HS football is that the big conferences are going to play - cuz add big bucks to the culture that wants to play with low risk and it’s a no brainer decision.
You must be one of these old dudes with numerous co-morbidities to be so scared - so please stay in your house in isolation. But, the rest of the World is NOT you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
They’re simply trying to keep the ESPN checks coming. Few NFL draft eligible kids are putting their livelihood at risk to play. Rosters will be depleted. Travel will be restricted. Teams will be unable to play games (does 3-1 Minnesota get to conf champ ahead of Wisconsin at 5-2?). It’s a joke. And every conf/school putting 100 kids on the field to play is simply putting themselves first and abdicating the role they’re expected to play.

Reaction Score
Normally, 10-15 kids die each year playing amateur football. We could do something to prevent, by not playing football. I understand that COVID is unknown, and this is an incremental risk. But the standard already used is not zero deaths from playing amateur football.

That is one of the more troubling aspects of the current mania. More and more people seem to be advocating adopting a standard of minimizing infections regardless of the cost to the greater society. Of course for the most part they are people who do not really bear the cost.

Reaction Score
You could say the one person dies argument about flu deaths or traffic accidents deaths and no one ever goes to work or school. Not a smart practice.

My point about Bama HS football is that the big conferences are going to play - cuz add big bucks to the culture that wants to play with low risk and it’s a no brainer decision.
You must be one of these old dudes with numerous co-morbidities to be so scared - so please stay in your house in isolation. But, the rest of the World is NOT you.
It's a pandemic...an anomaly....a killer. What is wrong with you?

BTW....not an old dude at all and quite fit so TFC

Reaction Score

For the record, I am not overly anxious about this virus, although I take prudent measures for myself, my family and society. This situation is very different for everyone and I try to keep that in mind.

This is also a very complex situation. My personal feeling is that the ultimate mortality rate with COVID will probably end up somewhere around what it is for influenza or the flu. Unfortunately, this thing is much more highly contagious and we don't have a vaccination like we do with the flu. Consequently, the absolute death toll will be very large and if not contained could be catastrophic for our healthcare system.

Your comment is insensitive and uninformed. I would be lying if I said that surprises me.

C

Chief00

For the record, I am not overly anxious about this virus, although I take prudent measures for myself, my family and society. This situation is very different for everyone and I try to keep that in mind.

This is also a very complex situation. My personal feeling is that the ultimate mortality rate with COVID will probably end up somewhere around what it is for influenza or the flu. Unfortunately, this thing is much more highly contagious and we don't have a vaccination like we do with the flu. Consequently, the absolute death toll will be very large and if not contained could be catastrophic for our healthcare system.

Your comment is insensitive and uninformed. I would be lying if I said that surprises me.
The graph I posted supports my comment and contradicts yours. Follow the data not your feelings. Why is that to you insensitive?

C

Chief00

It's a pandemic...an anomaly....a killer. What is wrong with you?

BTW....not an old dude at all and quite fit so TFC
It’s not a “killer” to this age group. The CT graph proves that.

Reaction Score
The graph I posted supports my comment and contradicts yours. Follow the data not your feelings. Why is that to you insensitive?

No it doesn't.

....... and I wasn't saying your position was insensitive, I'm saying your response to Skiblets was insensitive.

You need to relax and think before you post. I'm dead serious, you are coming across in an ignorant manner.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
That is one of the more troubling aspects of the current mania. More and more people seem to be advocating adopting a standard of minimizing infections regardless of the cost to the greater society. Of course for the most part they are people who do not really bear the cost.

This is the argument I expect we will be having in 2021 even while we roll out multiple vaccines. It might take 9-12 months to get us to 90% vaccinated.

Reaction Score

From what I've been reading the fatality rate right now seems to be hovering around 0.5-1%, while the influenza death rate is usually around 0.1-03%, which makes COVID anywhere from 2-10 times more deadly (though significantly less deadly than, say, Ebola).

However, as you noted, it is also highly contagious, which is what makes it so dangerous. As soon as one asymptomatic person enters a nursing home or spends time with a vulnerable person, that becomes an issue.

Sources:

Reaction Score
From what I've been reading the fatality rate right now seems to be hovering around 0.5-1%, while the influenza death rate is usually around 0.1-03%, which makes COVID anywhere from 2-10 times more deadly (though significantly less deadly than, say, Ebola).

However, as you noted, it is also highly contagious, which is what makes it so dangerous. As soon as one asymptomatic person enters a nursing home or spends time with a vulnerable person, that becomes an issue.

Sources:

I continue to question the infected base and wonder if it isn’t much higher, which in turn would drive down the mortality rate. My guess is we won’t know a lot of these answers for some time.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I continue to question the infected base and wonder if it isn’t much higher, which in turn would drive down the mortality rate. My guess is we won’t know a lot of these answers for some time.

Here is some data on this exact subject from the CDC. Be sure to click on survey 1 and then 2 in the chart. Also read the caveats below the chart which are important (could be a lot of false positives here or tracers that just aren't meaningful.) Its a data point, but with a brand new virus and limited research resources you can't put too much stock in these findings just yet. Basically blood data suggests that perhaps 2 to 6% of the population (maybe over 20% of the NYC pop) in 10 surveyed markets has experienced COVid and that was as of May. Wonder what July and August data will show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom