UConn - BYU Game Thread | Page 15 | The Boneyard

UConn - BYU Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
No, I did notice. That's why I'm wondering why you thought the number of calls should be more in UCONN's favor than the greater than 19 to 9 that they were. While there were bad calls, there were bad calls on both sides. Does that mean they tend to even out ? I think so.
Again I don't note the numbers at all and I could care less about other boards. They are what they are. There is not necessarily a equivalency. I prefer to let calls fall where they may and look to making each call independently. Was this play or that play a foul. If so, you need to blow the whistle in a consistently manner not in number but in how much contact you call or similar consistency in other fouls.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
KML was leading score for Uconn plus 13 rebounds and yet who did the media give the post interview to?

Yep. Big deal. Stewey is one of the "players to see", but to everyone watching the game it was Kaleena and Bria who were instrumental in getting us back on track.

Reaction Score
I'll yield to RL
Again I don't note the numbers at all and I could care less about other boards. They are what they are. There is not necessarily a equivalency. I prefer to let calls fall where they may and look to making each call independently. Was this play or that play a foul. If so, you need to blow the whistle in a consistently manner not in number but in how much contact you call or similar consistency in other fouls.

I understand. You don't note the numbers. But you did say that while there were bad calls on both sides, UCONN did not get all the calls they should have and that the final foul numbers should be greater than the 19-9 ratio UCONN enjoyed. But you couldn't/wouldn't quantify the final numbers. Correct ? My point is, if you went on the BYU board, you would find the same complaints concerning BYU !! So what makes your judgement accurate (about the fouls) and their's inaccurate ? It's that you're a UCONN fan and they're not and they are BYU fans and you're not. That's the ONLY difference.
I apologize in advance to RL and will not post on this thread again.

Reaction Score
Yep. Big deal. Stewey is one of the "players to see", but to everyone watching the game it was Kaleena and Bria who were instrumental in getting us back on track.

Wouldn't like to give credit where credit is due?

Reaction Score
Do you really think that Oklahoma St. is better than BYU? Not from what I saw today. Forget the rankings. They were ridiculous. USF and Rutgers don't make the field. I guarantee there were a dozen teams that they were better than. Bria and Breanna will not have a combined total of 4 points at the half in any other game. Confidence in our Huskies!

Reaction Score

I think KML was part of the 5 player to see from ESpN I believe.

Reaction Score
The referees blew several calls that worked against UConn. They also blew several calls that worked in UConn's favor. So what else is new? Neither team won or lost as a result of officiating issues....which is usually the case in most games.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I'll yield to RL

I understand. You don't note the numbers. But you did say that while there were bad calls on both sides, UCONN did not get all the calls they should have and that the final foul numbers should be greater than the 19-9 ratio UCONN enjoyed. But you couldn't/wouldn't quantify the final numbers. Correct ? My point is, if you went on the BYU board, you would find the same complaints concerning BYU !! So what makes your judgement accurate (about the fouls) and their's inaccurate ? It's that you're a UCONN fan and they're not and they are BYU fans and you're not. That's the ONLY difference.

Maybe or maybe not because things look similar doesn't mean they are the same. As I said I could care less about other boards. Assuming the discussion here should or shouldn't like other boards has no connection to truth. On the season UCONN has 427 fouls to about 560 for our opponents. About a 33% offset. Should those numbers be equal.

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
But you're also a UCONN fan and see the play through that prism. If you have a chance, log onto the volnation board the next time Tennessee is playing. Every 3rd post is a complaint about the calls. They're convinced the ref's are out to get them. If Tennessee plays UCONN, each teams" board will have complaints about how the ref's aren't calling the game fairly. Would either one be right ? Maybe. Most likely, they both would be incorrect.
I have no interest in anything orange.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Wouldn't like to give credit where credit is due?

my point is really who cares who they interview? These things are set before the game is played I imagine. It may act like sand in a wound to some that they aren't interviewing the players who appear to have had the greater contribution in the game, but to ESPN, they focus on these few with typical tunnel vision. Why get upset about it, seriously?

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I think KML was part of the 5 player to see from ESpN I believe.

I don't recall honestly. But KML's season sadly has taken a back seat to some unfortunate circumstance. It usually takes ESPN a while to notice a comeback. I would be willing to bet my puppy that KML doesn't give a damn who they interview at the end of the game (Gosh, I hope I am right about this).

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Hey we had a bad shooting game and couldnt get the ball inside in the first half. We turned that around in the second half and won big. There are some really good games tomorrow. We won and will be in the FF next weekend. TAM cant defend us inside. We will be back to normal against TAM.

Reaction Score
Maybe or maybe not because things look similar doesn't mean they are the same. As I said I could care less about other boards. Assuming the discussion here should or shouldn't like other boards has no connection to truth. On the season UCONN has 427 fouls to about 560 for our opponents. About a 33% offset. Should those numbers be equal.
Forgive me. I said that I wouldn't respond to this thread again. But that was yesterday !
I'll answer your question, even though you have refused to answer mine. Should the foul totals be equal ? Of course not. Unless it's an accurate assessment of the actual fouls committed.
33% offset. The BYU game had a more than 100% offset. More than 3X greater than the yearly average. But, evidently, that wasn't nearly enough.
Did you know that the 10 foul differential in the BYU game was the second highest difference in fouls called in all UCONN games this season ? In the other 2 NCAA playoff games played so far, the differential was 3 and 2 respectively. Yet you think that the differential in the BYU game should have been much higher. Now, is it possible that the differential should have been higher ? Yes. Possible, but not likely. More likely is that you, as a UCONN fan, see the games through a fans' eyes. Why would all or most of the bad/uncalled fouls have favored BYU ? Are the ref's biased against UCONN ? I can only conclude by your response (when comparing your complaints of officiating to the opponents' fans' similar complaints "has no connection to truth") that you assume that you are right and they are wrong. Why ? What makes your opinion about foul calls accurate and the opponents' fans' opinions inaccurate about the same calls ? It's the other side of the same coin. You think UCONN should have received more calls and the BYU fan thinks they should have. So, how do we determine if one of the teams was short changed on foul calls ? Look at the stats. Though not necessarily definitive, they strongly suggest that UCONN did not receive the short end of the stick when it comes to foul calls in the BYU game.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
John Altavilla ‏@jaltavilla 1h
BYU made just one field goal in the final 10 minutes as #UConnwomen closed on an 18-5 run
When looking at the game stats the situation of the game was clear. It was completely a tale of shooting %s. In every other phase of the game we outplayed BYU. We had 10 blocks to their 6, 11 steals to their 3, 9 fouls to their 19, 10 TOs to their 18, and we made 15 FTs to their 3 and had 47 rebounds to their 38. In the first half they shot 50% to our 0% on 3s and 42.9 to our 35.5% overall. In the second half they shot 10% on 3s to our 27.3 and they shot 31% to our 42.9 overall in the second half.

Games are won by the score but we totally outplayed them on the floor as we should have.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Forgive me. I said that I wouldn't respond to this thread again. But that was yesterday !
I'll answer your question, even though you have refused to answer mine. Should the foul totals be equal ? Of course not. Unless it's an accurate assessment of the actual fouls committed.
33% offset. The BYU game had a more than 100% offset. More than 3X greater than the yearly average. But, evidently, that wasn't nearly enough.
Did you know that the 10 foul differential in the BYU game was the second highest difference in fouls called in all UCONN games this season ? In the other 2 NCAA playoff games played so far, the differential was 3 and 2 respectively. Yet you think that the differential in the BYU game should have been much higher. Now, is it possible that the differential should have been higher ? Yes. Possible, but not likely. More likely is that you, as a UCONN fan, see the games through a fans' eyes. Why would all or most of the bad/uncalled fouls have favored BYU ? Are the ref's biased against UCONN ? I can only conclude by your response (when comparing your complaints of officiating to the opponents' fans' similar complaints "has no connection to truth") that you assume that you are right and they are wrong. Why ? What makes your opinion about foul calls accurate and the opponents' fans' opinions inaccurate about the same calls ? It's the other side of the same coin. You think UCONN should have received more calls and the BYU fan thinks they should have. So, how do we determine if one of the teams was short changed on foul calls ? Look at the stats. Though not necessarily definitive, they strongly suggest that UCONN did not receive the short end of the stick when it comes to foul calls in the BYU game.

The other side of the foul equation you ignore is that BYU committed 627 on the season. Plus they did that in two less games. That is 60 more that the total for our opponents on the year. So the difference on the season is about 200 vs UCONN's numbers are about 45-50% greater.

I said UCONN should had more fouls called in their favor, yes, I made no comment whatsoever about BYU other than to note a couple of calls that should have been made for them and one that was made for them that someone questioned and I thought was called correctly. There were many more fouls that could be called on both teams. I was completely uninterested in the numbers for either team. I do not believe in observing and making calls on that basis. Simply see the foul, call the foul. What is true is that when officials call fewer fouls it helps our short bench. I, also do not think it is an accident we draw fewer calls. Our kids play with tremendous discipline in keeping their hands off opponents all over the court. BYU regularly had their off hand on the body of the player as they attempted to block a shot and far more frequently violated the vertical plane. You should get called for such violations frequently they didn't. Probably the rule of diminishing returns.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
my point is really who cares who they interview? These things are set before the game is played I imagine. It may act like sand in a wound to some that they aren't interviewing the players who appear to have had the greater contribution in the game, but to ESPN, they focus on these few with typical tunnel vision. Why get upset about it, seriously?
Well, you have the right to your opinion. As a fan I love them all, however in my opinion KML is the best player in the Uconn squad, her basketball IQ can only be compared to Maya, and DT at the latter years not freshman year where she shot her way to our defeat after a 19 points lead at half time.

That picture of loosing to ND in the semi with DT as a freshman has haunted me for years, I can see a pattern here with Stewie, when she's hot she's unstoppable, but man when she's cold she can be knocked out cold, it would be okay this time against BYU, but against a formidable contender like ND it will be too late.

KML is the backbone of this team and she needed to know that.

Let's not forget the incredible run by Stewie last year at the FF. But that doesn't guarantee a repeat performance for this year.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
UConn has won something like 43 in a row and really has risen to every occasion. Finally one poor game and fans are concerned. Hey imo we were over due for a poor game and better now then against a FF team right?

Yesterday they couldnt hit an open outside shot, shot poorly from the line and couldnt get the ball inside because of Hamson. Well that wont happen again because there is no team left that has a 6'7 post center that can play like Hamson. So our shooting percentage will be up and our inside game will be much better making our outside game much better.

We play TAM next and that should be easier then BYU only because we can go inside more. Relax the sky isnt falling. Our mental tuffness will carry us through. I would like nothing more then to see Diggins face when ND loses.

Reaction Score
Gotta give it to Hamson, she was great, couldn't believe how fast she was for a tall girl. Stef thought she was home free, and BAM!!!!! get it out of here. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom