UCONN - Butler Postgame thread [merged] | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UCONN - Butler Postgame thread [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Your over thinking it, he doesn't have a choice, he has to play them and I don't think it's because he trusts them.
I thought Alan and Meg said something during the game about Geno saying the team was going to need a lot more from Amari as the season goes on. Maybe it’s just because he doesn’t have a choice, as you say, but it may also reflect a more substantial change in his thinking.

Reaction Score
Except that Mo would have left her defender sprawling on the floor with a crossover, ankle-breaking move. :cool:
Ch 3 showed a high school game highlights of a freshman girl for North Haven who did a great Kemba Walker vs Pitt crossover and stepback and nailed it. Hope we’re looking at her.

Reaction Score
Amazing, UConn has tons of both kinds of luck, incredibly good luck for the players that we have, the Magnificent Seven, and incredibly bad luck for all of our injured players.

Reaction Score
I thought Alan and Meg said something during the game about Geno saying the team was going to need a lot more from Amari as the season goes on. Maybe it’s just because he doesn’t have a choice, as you say, but it may also reflect a more substantial change in his thinking.
I hope it's "a more substantial change in his thinking." As Amari's confidence grows she should begin to look for her shot, instead of just passing the ball off. It would be interesting to see her take more 3s and shots from the top of the key, and to drive to the basket.

Reaction Score
In the postgame interview he said everyone played well, everyone contributed.
One big change for Amari, and the one that I think leads to Geno trusting her more and then say she contributes, is her coverage on defense. In the Butler game she stayed in front of her assigned player and competently switched off-- except in one case where Aaliyah was blocked by a screen and the player got through. She also managed to hedge and then get back to the rim in time to defend it. For Geno, you must play defense and that is where Amari is showing her energy and where I think she is catching up to the speed of the game.. Look at last year's games and you will see the opponents driving past Amari because she could not stay in front of her assigned player. Big difference for her in the past few games. When she masters the defense and protects the rim, she will become a regular in the rotation and she is much closer to that goal now than she was at the start of the season.

Reaction Score
One big change for Amari, and the one that I think leads to Geno trusting her more and then say she contributes, is her coverage on defense. In the Butler game she stayed in front of her assigned player and competently switched off-- except in one case where Aaliyah was blocked by a screen and the player got through. She also managed to hedge and then get back to the rim in time to defend it. For Geno, you must play defense and that is where Amari is showing her energy and where I think she is catching up to the speed of the game.. Look at last year's games and you will see the opponents driving past Amari because she could not stay in front of her assigned player. Big difference for her in the past few games. When she masters the defense and protects the rim, she will become a regular in the rotation and she is much closer to that goal now than she was at the start of the season.
Yes, her defense has definitely improved, and I think she's taking the game much more seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom