UConn - Butler Post Game Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn - Butler Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As to your last bullet on Amari and Ines with TOs--if you've ever played competitive basketball, please understand that it is extremely difficult, coming off the bench cold and then perform at an efficient level. I guess I understand why Amari gets so little playing time, but it's unfortunate the same for Ines because last year, she showed her comparable worth in several games...

On an arguably better team last year, Ines got much more playing time and played well. It is curious why she is relegated to the end of the bench with Amari.

Reaction Score
On an arguably better team last year, Ines got much more playing time and played well. It is curious why she is relegated to the end of the bench with Amari.

Last year's team didn't have Paige Bueckers, KK Arnold or Ashlynn Shade handling the basketball.

Ines only played because of need. Go look to see who was available the games she played decent minutes.

I don't think she played particularly well, either. Exceeded expectations? Maybe? But she's basically a walk-on.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Best of the night - Jana in her Grinch shirt!!!!!!!

This team continues to develop and improve on both offense and defense. Nice to see Ice and Qadence with positive and important contributions.

Butler had the hot hand in the first quarter. After that it was good night Irene. UConn basketball started the run in the second quarter and didn't stop for the rest of the game. The defensive adjustments were made and the pressure showed. Butler's top scorers were locked down by the defense.

On offense, Ash does not play like a freshman. She seems to have a very good grasp of the offense. She is constantly in motion. Love the 3's but her jumper inside the arc is deadly. Ash is also playing good defense.

Excellent balance with 4 players in double figures. Aubrey with another great game off the bench. She is so so difficult to defend. Paige is not having to carry the scoring load. This is so important. The defense not being able to focus on just Paige will pay huge dividends the entire season.

Fourth game with the same starting 5. It's working and working well. The sub patterns are working. We have an 8 player rotation that works.

GG

Reaction Score
-Austin Parkinson will eventually get a major college job. His transformation of this program in a short time is obvious. UCONN was just awesome for the last three quarters.
-I think the way Shade played tonight will quickly become the norm for her over the next four years.
-Geno commented at half that Aaliyah has to kick the ball out when she is double teamed. Teams are swarming her and she is forcing things. She is also getting hammered without fouls being called
-Another slow start defensively. Butler shot threes wonderfully but they were getting great looks. They fixed it quickly however.
-Paige is on the short list of the most unselfish stars ever. She doesn’t pass up many open looks but has no problem giving it up to open teammates.
-Ice showed some life. Happy for her to maybe finally settling down some.
-Nika was better with her passes tonight. Paused a little before making a pass.
-Geno has found his rotation. What an improvement since Texas.
Ice looked good tonight. As her confidence increases, she will be a force. Excited to see her growth this season.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
CD post game:

You hit 12 3’s. Season high.

CD: Is that what we gave up? (10)

*reviewing who got threes #3 is not a 3 point shooter and hit one

CD: I have a way of helping peoples confidence. I say they can’t shoot and then they do

Defense (Mellman only took 3 shots)

Didn’t turn ball over.

They shot a three/we shot a three. Some first have were quick threes. Later they came off more naturally.

Shade played really well. Her pull up is automatic. Known for that. Better with 3 than anyone expected.

4 good quarters?

I thought Louisvile we were more consistent. We started a little slow? Maybe just being a grinch.

3 games in a row where there was a consistency.

Aubrey gave good mintutes

Nika – who’s really under the weather (didn’t come out for the 20 minute warm up. Left the bench) You wouldn’t have known unless you paid attention

Q came in, knocks a three just before half

We were up by 30 but doesn’t feel like we were because of their style, 5 out, how the shoot the 3.

First 20 minutes – 7-7 off the bench (CD: I coached them today…laugh). Consistency?

CD: When you can have that – when you talk about consistency, we need to know what we’re going to get every day. In practice, in games… if you don’t have the shot, what else are you going to brihng? Rebounds, getting back on defense. That’s why you play preseason to give players a chance to show their teammates and coaches

Tornoto – I didn’t scout them. It’s more of an exhibition. Pupose to bring AE how. Had it against Pitt, coaching change and the contract hadn't been signed, so had to find someone to play. Game is sold out. For months. Nice way to bring AE home.

Not going to do too much tomorrow (I don’t do scheduling..lol) Go up tomorrow, have dinner. Kia Nurse will visit (not attend game)

?Do you know coach Clark – AE played for her in Olympics and the. Global Jam tournament

CD: The tournament they made up so the can win it? I tease her about it. Happy to go up. She’ll go home from there.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I think Inês is having a hard time this year (and Amari to certain extent) because the offense seems to be playing in mud when they are in. Tonight both seemed to have the role of getting the ball to the shooters but they were not moving to get open.
I'm not jumping on the "they deserve more playing time" bandwagon, just making an observation about the final 3 minutes of offense.

Reaction Score
Not that hard to figure out. Last year no Paige, No KK, No Shade. Geno had no choice but to play her. Nika was basically the only point guard. It’s just a numbers game and Ines just slid way down the depth chart.

Reaction Score
I think Inês is having a hard time this year (and Amari to certain extent) because the offense seems to be playing in mud when they are in. Tonight both seemed to have the role of getting the ball to the shooters but they were not moving to get open.
I'm not jumping on the "they deserve more playing time" bandwagon, just making an observation about the final 3 minutes of offense.

I was sitting here saying yall gotta move

Reaction Score
Few Thoughts:
*I was surprised by Butler, Not a bad team at all. Disciplined and got some really good outside shooters. Good job by their coach.
*Butler short 7 of 9 in the first half from 3....crazy...not all the shots were open...they hit some difficult shots with UConn player all over them.
*UConn's offense looks so much better in the last few games. There is a flow and movement, and it clearly helps when players are making outside shots.
*Shade: wow...what a game...what truly strikes me is her confidence in her shot. how many times we've seen top recruits which are deferring to the upper classman. Well, not those freshmen. and it is very much needed on this team (with our all the injured players). The other thing about Ashlynn is that she is so fundamentally versed. Not the quickest of feet but understands the game so well with moving to the open spots, passing really well, and getting better and better on defense. I think a lot of us thought we are getting a K. Farris 2.0 . Ashlynn is way more advanced on offense than Kelly ever was (clearly Kelly was one of the best defensive players in the country and i doubt strongly that Ashlynn will get that good on defense).
*Paige: Such an unselfish player. It is as if she decided to build the crew looking for the NCAA's. She just does not force anything...
*AE: some of her shots under the basket are puzzling with strange misses but she continues to fight, catch rebounds and stay aggressive.
*Aubrey: the perfect 6th men. When she enters the game, it changes and for the good for UConn. takes only good shots, athletic, quick, fast and got a great nose for the ball.
*Nika: so much better then the last game. Was shooting pretty good from 3 and only 1 turnover.
*KK: wish she could shoot 3's but she is not a good shooter from there. Fast and a very good PG. Hopefully she works on her outside shot to improve it.
*ICE: showed some good things this game.
*Q: the kid enters the game and 5 seconds after entering shoots a 3 and hits it. Amazing.
*All in all an entertaining game!

Reaction Score
Just got back from the game. Shade played the entire game until the 2 min something mark. I concentrated on watching her. She never stops moving, and solid on defense. Geno has given her the green light and her pull up is nasty! The kid is a player, and will soften the loss of Azzi and Caroline. I would like Paige to be less selfless!

Reaction Score
Butler is a pretty good team and I say this despite their losing by 26. Without their barrage of 3s the MOV would have moved well north. This is just the latest game where the opponent had their best 3 point night of the year. Maybe UConn over the years has just not learned to defend the 3; I'm coming to the opinion that it's just a strange statistical quirk.

Ash was all smiles that got bigger as the game went on. Every player comes into college ball hoping that they can play as well as they did in high school. A good many aren't ever the star they were in high school. I think part of Ash's smile was a sense of relief knowing she can play for UConn like the player she was in high school. She is just so savvy and steady.

Points for UConn were well distributed. Four players - Page, AE, Aubrey and Ash - scored in all four quarters, which is more than normal. AE only had one point in each of the first two quarters but still...

Nika needs to shoot more. This has been said many times before with the difference being that now she is shooting much better than previously.

Speaking of shooting more, Paige made 5 baskets. Not enough. Unselfish play is great and Paige can get 15 or 20 points while still mostly giving the ball up to someone else. I just think it would be good for her to every once in a while concentrate on scoring.

Reaction Score
I actually thought Geno was subdued about Shade. What did he see from her? "The ball went in." Maybe doesn't want to get too much praise in her head too early, but this was a good overall game. One foul, zero turnovers, looked to pass as well. Great offensive game and held her own on defense (Butler blew by everybody at times, they have some quickness).
Nothing is going to change Shade's attitude..........she's a throwback who wants nothing more than to contribute towards her team's success in any way possible.......if anything, Geno is going to have to slow her down a bit as she goes 100% 100% of the time....

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I actually thought Geno was subdued about Shade. What did he see from her? "The ball went in." Maybe doesn't want to get too much praise in her head too early, but this was a good overall game. One foul, zero turnovers, looked to pass as well. Great offensive game and held her own on defense (Butler blew by everybody at times, they have some quickness).
Her 37 minutes without rest until the end tells you what Geno thought of her performance. She has earned his trust. There is being well conditioned and there is Ashlyn’s level.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
any news on what might be ailing Nika
23086912-2FA2-4419-89F9-3564456A6105.jpeg

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I was at the game, started similar to Louisville in that they were making everything. Butler was running good offense and creating open shots. We were at least staying up with them on offense and I thought Aubrey`s three at the end of the first period, cutting their lead to one, was pretty big.

Also like Louisville, I think that UConn`s intense defensive pressure - which picked up late in the first quarter and continued until garbage time - wore Butler down somewhat. They were not running their offense as crisply or pressuring on defense as well after the first quarter. Again, we were in better shape than our opponents.

A lot of great things to say about Shade. She plays aggressively yet under control. She could play all day and never takes a play off. She has a quick release to her shot, sets her feet well, and is thinking shot. She is looking like a classic "catch and shoot" player although she can score in other ways as well. Better from three than I had expected. And she looks like she is enjoying herself out there.

I sit a couple of sections from where the players` families sit and saw some in that area with "Shade" t-shirts and sweatshirts on. Assuming that is her family, great that they were able to see her play her best game yet.

Nika was late out to warmups and left the court to the locker room with about three or four minutes remaining. Chris Dailey said in the post game interview she is "under the weather". Still she toughed it out and had a decent game.

Loved that Q came in with less that a minute in the first half because KK had picked up foul number 2, and promptly nails a three. Sweet. One confident shooter.

Brady looked more at home out there than I have seen her yet.

Saw a lot of mixing and matching with the lineups out there, at times three or four first year players on the court together.

Butler is not a bad team. They will win a lot of games playing the way they did tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom