UConn - Butler Post Game Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn - Butler Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Butler is much improved, but does anyone seriously think Geno could lose 7 BE league games? Hurley’s national champion men did.

BE men’s schedule is a gauntlet. Women’s is a cakewalk. I’m disparaging the league, not the team.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Not that hard to figure out. Last year no Paige, No KK, No Shade. Geno had no choice but to play her. Nika was basically the only point guard. It’s just a numbers game and Ines just slid way down the depth chart.
The game she played a lot was the game Nika was out, Maryland.

Reaction Score
Just got back from the game. Shade played the entire game until the 2 min something mark. I concentrated on watching her. She never stops moving, and solid on defense. Geno has given her the green light and her pull up is nasty! The kid is a player, and will soften the loss of Azzi and Caroline. I would like Paige to be less selfless!
Was at the game as well and agree wholeheartedly
On your take on Ashlyn and paige
Would live to see kk mimic her mid range pull up

Reaction Score
Just got back from the game. Shade played the entire game until the 2 min something mark. I concentrated on watching her. She never stops moving, and solid on defense. Geno has given her the green light and her pull up is nasty! The kid is a player, and will soften the loss of Azzi and Caroline. I would like Paige to be less selfless!
Ash is a Swiss-Army knife.

Reaction Score
CD post game:

You hit 12 3’s. Season high.

CD: Is that what we gave up? (10)

*reviewing who got threes #3 is not a 3 point shooter and hit one

CD: I have a way of helping peoples confidence. I say they can’t shoot and then they do

Defense (Mellman only took 3 shots)

Didn’t turn ball over.

They shot a three/we shot a three. Some first have were quick threes. Later they came off more naturally.

Shade played really well. Her pull up is automatic. Known for that. Better with 3 than anyone expected.

4 good quarters?

I thought Louisvile we were more consistent. We started a little slow? Maybe just being a grinch.

3 games in a row where there was a consistency.

Aubrey gave good mintutes

Nika – who’s really under the weather (didn’t come out for the 20 minute warm up. Left the bench) You wouldn’t have known unless you paid attention

Q came in, knocks a three just before half

We were up by 30 but doesn’t feel like we were because of their style, 5 out, how the shoot the 3.

First 20 minutes – 7-7 off the bench (CD: I coached them today…laugh). Consistency?

CD: When you can have that – when you talk about consistency, we need to know what we’re going to get every day. In practice, in games… if you don’t have the shot, what else are you going to brihng? Rebounds, getting back on defense. That’s why you play preseason to give players a chance to show their teammates and coaches

Tornoto – I didn’t scout them. It’s more of an exhibition. Pupose to bring AE how. Had it against Pitt, coaching change and the contract hadn't been signed, so had to find someone to play. Game is sold out. For months. Nice way to bring AE home.

Not going to do too much tomorrow (I don’t do scheduling..lol) Go up tomorrow, have dinner. Kia Nurse will visit (not attend game)

?Do you know coach Clark – AE played for her in Olympics and the. Global Jam tournament

CD: The tournament they made up so the can win it? I tease her about it. Happy to go up. She’ll go home from there.
I like CD’s sense of humor.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
3 things of note:

(1) In Ashlynn's strong effort, she shot 5-5 inside the arc.

(2) Nika has been sick for a few days. I think that affected her focus both tonight and against Louisville. We should cut her some slack over the turnovers.

(3) Everyone shot at least 40% tonight. We are building our FG% stat nicely.

Reaction Score
I was at the game, started similar to Louisville in that they were making everything. Butler was running good offense and creating open shots. We were at least staying up with them on offense and I thought Aubrey`s three at the end of the first period, cutting their lead to one, was pretty big.

Also like Louisville, I think that UConn`s intense defensive pressure - which picked up late in the first quarter and continued until garbage time - wore Butler down somewhat. They were not running their offense as crisply or pressuring on defense as well after the first quarter. Again, we were in better shape than our opponents.

A lot of great things to say about Shade. She plays aggressively yet under control. She could play all day and never takes a play off. She has a quick release to her shot, sets her feet well, and is thinking shot. She is looking like a classic "catch and shoot" player although she can score in other ways as well. Better from three than I had expected. And she looks like she is enjoying herself out there.

I sit a couple of sections from where the players` families sit and saw some in that area with "Shade" t-shirts and sweatshirts on. Assuming that is her family, great that they were able to see her play her best game yet.

Nika was late out to warmups and left the court to the locker room with about three or four minutes remaining. Chris Dailey said in the post game interview she is "under the weather". Still she toughed it out and had a decent game.

Loved that Q came in with less that a minute in the first half because KK had picked up foul number 2, and promptly nails a three. Sweet. One confident shooter.

Brady looked more at home out there than I have seen her yet.

Saw a lot of mixing and matching with the lineups out there, at times three or four first year players on the court together.

Butler is not a bad team. They will win a lot of games playing the way they did tonight.
Geno motioned for Nika for KK, and she declined. That’s how Q went in. Probably for the best.

Reaction Score
Ashlynn Shade. Ashlynn Shade. Ashlynn Shade. You have to score to win games. UCONN needs consistent scoring which then would allow them to control pace which is vital. Can't wait to see how she can do vs Marquette and Creighton.

Love how Nika and KK are so different yet are also complimentary. Can't say how happy I am enough as to how they compliment each other. Granted not to be confused with Bird and DT etc. It's just that they do different things yet both are basically a pg.

As Tony ssaid "don't get too high or too low."
Just enjoy the team and don't crush the players or staff.

Reaction Score
Butler better give that coach an extension right now! I remember thinking last season he was making them better but there’s been a huge jump since then. That team is going to beat or at least be competitive in a lot of games this year. What a difference he’s made!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Good game! Way to make some good in game adjustments! Also, what a game for Ashlyn! She is really coming into her own. I love her game, she is just fun to watch. Seems like she is having fun out there. Looking at the stats, I think we just need to start having more controlled aggression. We only shot 10 free throws all game, I would love for us to double that each game and that starts by attacking the hoop in a smart way and making the refs make the call. Overall good game though! One more and then we get a break!
We are lucky if UConn gets any fouls called when the Dee is officiating, I believe that she is one of the worst refs in basketball.

Reaction Score
We are lucky if UConn gets any fouls called when the Dee is officiating, I believe that she is one of the worst refs in basketball.
It was a well officiate a game until the second half
When Kantner made 2 horrendous calls
Was sitting about 20 rows up behind Butler
And was looking right at both plays
After for play, Aaliyah Edwards asked for an explanation and can’t nurse said to her by motion that you put your hands right into the player
Total nonsense
The second call wasn’t even close not only did the UConn player have position but the Butler player
Pushed off as well

Reaction Score
I think Inês is having a hard time this year (and Amari to certain extent) because the offense seems to be playing in mud when they are in. Tonight both seemed to have the role of getting the ball to the shooters but they were not moving to get open.
I'm not jumping on the "they deserve more playing time" bandwagon, just making an observation about the final 3 minutes of offense.
Geno has to give the 8-person rotation as many minutes as possible, including different combinations. Inez and Amari are essentially being sacrificed for the common good. Sucks for them, but there really is no other alternative. The summer tour and pre-season practice now mean nothing; a new team has to be developed on the fly.

Reaction Score
Butler is much improved, but does anyone seriously think Geno could lose 7 BE league games? Hurley’s national champion men did.

BE men’s schedule is a gauntlet. Women’s is a cakewalk. I’m disparaging the league, not the team.
Marquette and Creighton are not cakewalks. If UConn wins all four of those games plus whomever they play in the Big East semis and finals, that will be truly amazing.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Butler shoots 49% for the game, 62.5% from 3 and only 28.6% from the charity strip. Most teams switch the last two percentages, 28.6% from three and 62.5% in FT's.

Reaction Score
Right at the end of the first half, with like a minute to go, KK got another foul and Geno told Nika to go in for her. Nika waved him off and Geno put Q in instead. I knew right then something was wrong with Nika.

Reaction Score
It was a well officiate a game until the second half
When Kantner made 2 horrendous calls
Was sitting about 20 rows up behind Butler
And was looking right at both plays
After for play, Aaliyah Edwards asked for an explanation and can’t nurse said to her by motion that you put your hands right into the player
Total nonsense
The second call wasn’t even close not only did the UConn player have position but the Butler player
Pushed off as well
It also wasn’t her call to make. That is her greatest weakness as an official; blowing the whistle when a colleague has a better view. It is most certainly ego that causes her to do that.

Reaction Score
My take on UCONN vs Butler:
1. Ashlynn Shade is the real deal!
2. IMHO Butler shot 83% in first 1/4 while being covered!
They hit some great shots!
3. I still think somehow Ines should get more minutes!
I think if she has some more time she will relax and show the improvements she made over the summer! UCONN will need her down the road!
4. UCONN's defense can be smothering with all their rotations!
5. I know other WBB are close knit, but UCONN stands alone as "we are family!"
6. Our Nika haters have to cut her some slack! We find out tonight she's been sick for about a week with the flu!
We don't know all the facts that effect our girls day-in-day-out!

Reaction Score
It also wasn’t her call to make. That is her greatest weakness as an official; blowing the whistle when a colleague has a better view. It is most certainly ego that causes her to do that.
Boreifs- - The WBB referees have stunk as long as I can remember!
And the powers that be don't care enough to make changes that bring it up to the level of play that Division I WBB has reached in 2023-2024!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom