UConn bumped to 4th in the rankings. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn bumped to 4th in the rankings.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Ranking only matters for tournament seedings. But you still have to win six games no matter what your seeding. If you are looking for an artificially high ranking to get easier opponents, well. When I was involved with tournaments, I wanted play the best teams, just for the opportunity to beat them. Why count on someone else to beat them?

I believe Geno thinks the same way.
Rankings aren’t official criteria for tournament seeding.

Reaction Score
Can't believe Marquette and Villanova didn't get any votes. Marquette is 6-1, and Villanova is 7-1. Losing to Connecticut is a reason to not receive votes. Many teams will not do well against the Huskies.

Reaction Score
probable 30 point blowouts probably do not help but on the bright side, we are team of the week

Team of the week: UConn

UConn's goal headed into its game last Tuesday at Villanova was to see how much progress the Huskies had made defensively. Going against a scorer the caliber of Maddy Siegrist of previously undefeated Villanova was a good test. The Huskies held Siegrist to 15 points on 6-of-22 shooting in a 90-52 victory. UConn shot 54.7% from the field while holding Villanova to 29%.
National, I agree with you on your assessment of Maddy but overall Villanova was not really what you could term an athletic team. I am more anxious to watch them against a Baylor or South Carolina. I feel that will be a much better gauge of where we are right now.

Reaction Score
I am sure Stewie would have handled that challenge just fine. She went from personally giftwrapping the season game to Baylor to being the most dominant player in the tournament and FF. She would have forced BG out of position and drilled shot after shot. Flashbacks to Tina Charles doing a number on BG

No offense. Tina was a lot stronger than Breanna. Morgan would have guarded Britney, with help from Breanna and the other players on the team.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
??????

I was referring to the very poor game Stewie had. Only 7 minutes. 0 pts, no positive plays. Geno famously said she was personally responsible for that loss.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Not concerned about a drop from 3 to 4. Long way to go in a very crazy season.

The rankings at this point, with all the cancelled and postponed games, are just fodder for boards and forums. Just win baby!

Reaction Score
Just curious...but how does beating lower ranked teams propel us higher (if none of these higher ranked teams lose)?
Because it's all eye test this year.... Covid has reduced the number of meaningful OOC games so the so called voters are just eyeballing it. Beating Baylor who is seen as our match up problem will get attention and votes.

Reaction Score
I don't mind having the polls ranking us 4th at the moment. It gives us something to shoot for. It is a great motivator for any great athlete. I am sure Paige did not come here to be #4. She has more and could bury 4 or 5 3 pointers so could Anna. So much fun to watch us grow.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well with all thats going on in sports rankings are gonna be tuff. UConn is not in the most difficult league. The PAC 12 and the ACC are tuffer leagues with more ranked teams. So I would expect UConn has to beat DePaul and SC and pretty much go undefeated maybe 1 loss to get the number 1 ranking. Im more concerned right now about the development of the team. We have the talent and we're deep. I would like UConn to put on a show against DePaul and Baylor. That would go a long way.

Reaction Score
With a shortened season and many cancellations every big game seems even more important. Before the season started, I think we were looking at 4 big games, Louisville and probably Mississippi State, and South Carolina and Baylor. We still have Depaul and Tennessee as more moderate challenges but basically lost half of the big ones due to the pandemic, and that is assuming nothing happens to the South Carolina or Baylor games due to more positive cases.

There are maybe 8 or 9 teams that can hope to get a number one seed for the tournament. With fewer games and major challenges it would not be surprising if a couple of teams went undefeated before the tournament. I suspect one loss is the most you can have and still get a number 1 seed.

If we win against Baylor and South Carolina it not only gets us a 1 (short of a Tennessee or Depaul upset), but also might knock those teams out of top seeds since they each already have one loss. On the other hand if we lost both of those games there may not be anything we could do to get a number 1 seed after that, even if the rest of the season was perfect. It may not be that extreme but I don't remember any season riding more on just two games.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
If NC State is the the “#3” team in WBB, it will be a cakewalk to the FF.
But they are the only team that beat the preseason #1 Ranked team AND put an end to SC's fantastic 29 game winning streak!!!!

Reaction Score
I'll bet on May 31, 2013 (30th?) Geno was thrilled to see Louisville upset Baylor. Very sure facing Griner was not what he wanted.
Heck, I was thrilled with that game- best woman's basketball game I've ever seen! What an ending!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Rankings now, in this strange season are neither important, nor meaningful.

No team in the country has the upside that this UConn bunch has.
If Geno and co. produce their traditional blend of discipline and magic
then the combination of pure athleticism, intelligence, basketball savy and competitiveness will sweep the field.

But not quite a done deal yet....

Reaction Score
Im sure teams 5-64 are begging to have NCST as their #1 seed come march !

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Alot of shade throwing towards the Pack in this thread

Im sure teams 5-64 are begging to have NCST as their #1 seed come march !

Nc State Mascot GIF by NC State University

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Well with all thats going on in sports rankings are gonna be tuff.

Yep, weird season. But you know what Hunter Thompson said: When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro!

Reaction Score
I also think Villanova is better than the score appeared with us which also tells me about our team. They have 3 pretty good players and run a lot of good motion. I think they could beat several teams in the middle to lower end of the top 25. If there is a tournament, I bet they get in and I don't think anyone should sleep on them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom