UConn-bound Andre Jackson’s dunks are mesmerizing displays and signs of his potential | The Boneyard

UConn-bound Andre Jackson’s dunks are mesmerizing displays and signs of his potential

Reaction Score
Article from Mike Anthony of the Courant.

“They should be excited,” said Brian Fruscio, Jackson’s coach at Albany Academy. “He’s really good. The dunks, we see them so much. He tries to rip a stanchion off, and I don’t even react. He does it so much for us that I think the [UConn] fan base is going to get used to the craziness of his athleticism. But what makes him special — and what’s going to make him special at UConn and what’s going to make him special after that — is that he can guard 1 through 4, he passes the hell out of it, he can handle it and he rebounds the hell out of it, too.

Reaction Score
Awesome, work on that shot and not only can you play at the next level, NBA, but play for a long time and make tons of money!

Reaction Score
Athleticism will not be a problem. Bouk, Sid, and Jackson can fly. Gaffney is pretty athletic too but hasn’t broken out of his shell yet.

We should start seeing that “swag” Hurley wants next year. Big East should make us tougher too.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The dunks are great but, can he shoot mid-range, from three, off the dribble, can he create on his own space?

He'll probably be the best guy off the dribble on our team. Don't want him taking a single mid range. Want him going to the rim every single time. Dunk it or get fouled. We are woefully lacking in dunks.

All he needs is a 3pt shot. But if he picks that up too quickly he might leave for the NBA lol

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Passing is great but we need to have someone be able to catch it and put it in.

Maybe he can lob it to himself for the dunk?

Reaction Score
Passing has been a big weakness for a long time. I think we’d have a better shooting % with better passing.

Reaction Score
He can create off the dribble and has been better at making 3s, but still has a ways to go. If he was great at everything you listed above, he would be a top 5 player in his class.

True. I believe our biggest need is shooting and dunking not as much.

Reaction Score
Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? Our finishing at the rim is most egregious. And having a legit powerhouse in the paint completely opens up our outside shooting.

We need both but his game is not back to the basket kick out for the 3. Yes, when he penetrates he will command attention and could kick. But if he's penetrating that much and effective we will see zone. We need shooters, dunkers and a big who can finish.

Reaction Score
He'll probably be the best guy off the dribble on our team. Don't want him taking a single mid range. Want him going to the rim every single time. Dunk it or get fouled. We are woefully lacking in dunks.

All he needs is a 3pt shot. But if he picks that up too quickly he might leave for the NBA lol
Need bigs who can catch and finish though. Otherwise, teams will just pack it in and dare him to shoot all day. What little I've seen, I don't see why he can't really develop his shot, but it will be a process. Love the potential though.

Reaction Score
Early on, his athleticism might be good enough to get the team 3 or 4 easy baskets a game be it alley oops or fast break finishes. The current team does not get enough of these.

Why I loved D-Ham the short time he was here. He'd get Brimah or someone else a few dunks from that little floating pass from just inside the foul line. I miss that.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Need bigs who can catch and finish though. Otherwise, teams will just pack it in and dare him to shoot all day. What little I've seen, I don't see why he can't really develop his shot, but it will be a process. Love the potential though.

Of course. You don't want a guy who literally can't shoot. But he just has to make enough to be respectable.

And if Akok can draw guys out to the perimeter next year, then that leaves Carlton or whomever inside. Jackson dunks or dishes off. Carlton's hands aren't great, but we don't have anybody passing all that well to him either

Reaction Score
Dunking is the highest percentage shot in the game. And we have like 1.5 guys who can do it.
Hurley and his dad have been adamant about how little the team dunks and how soft they are. Just having a guy who tries to tear down the rim like no other could be tranformational for the team.

Reaction Score
What’s Andre Jackson’s wingspan? People are going to rag on me, but Kawhi Leonard comparison? One can dream...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What’s Andre Jackson’s wingspan? People are going to rag on me, but Kawhi Leonard comparison? One can dream...
Not going to rag, but you kinda asked for it. You are asking us to compare a good HS kid to a great NBA'er Kawhi. Dream all you want, but we are UConn fans, yes but we all try and keep our feet planted on earth.

Speaking of Kawhi, when we beat them in the Tourney, I didn't recognize how good his college game was (focusing on Kemba) until I watch game replays. We had no answer for him but offensively in Kemba.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom