UConn/Big 12 Meeting Next Week | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn/Big 12 Meeting Next Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rasputin

The Mad Monk
Reaction Score
Time for Gov Malloy to get to work here.

The big barrier to full immediate B12 membership is the other schools don't want their revenue share diluted since the ESPN TV contract does not trigger an automatic pro-rata share increase like it did for the previous expansion. The B12 pro-rata revenue is $31.7MM per year. That is chump change for ESPN relative to what UConn would bring to the network. So Malloy needs to work with ESPN and find some way to give them a tax incentive to offset the $31.7MM pro-rata yearly cost for adding UConn (somewhere around $15MM per year should be more than enough). This would enable UConn to gain immediate B12 membership.

As stated in the articles, I don't think we can take the deal joining without a hard commitment for football. I don't like the whole "Contingent upon the school meeting certain thresholds" stance. That is just setting us up for sabotage and getting completely screwed in the next realignment and TV deals. We need full membership when we shift our other valuable entities (basketball) to a conference. Otherwise, this is us just getting completely played. We cannot leave the Big East without a complete commitment for all sports form a Top 4 Conference. End of Story.

Get to work Malloy! :D
918frj.jpg

Reaction Score
Hoping the 2031 date is about full TV payout, not actually joining the league for football.

Yes UConn football isn't great, but achieving parity with the bottom half of the league isn't going to be a titanic effort. UConn won't be Vanderbilt.

Reaction Score
Part of me is, why not move to the ACC, that makes more sense! but honestly, the ACC as a basketball school has been a shell of itself the last five seasons.

Here are the conference ranks per KenPom over that time span:

2020: Big Ten, Big 12, Big East, ACC
2021: Big Ten, Big 12, Pac 12, SEC, ACC, Big East
2022: Big 12, SEC, Big Ten, Big East, ACC
2023: Big 12, Big Ten, Big East, SEC, Pac 12, MWC, ACC
2024: Big 12, Big East, Big Ten, SEC, ACC

That being said, the Big 12 is an incredible conference to join for basketball reasons. Obviously, it'll stink not being able to easily travel for away games (I've only been to St. John's and Seton Hall games), but it's an incredible conference and will greatly help the school financially.
We have a choice?

Reaction Score

UConn men’s basketball coach Bobby Hurley is not against a move to the Big 12, a source said.

“He loves the Big East, but he understands the Big 12 provides more resources and more money,” the source said.

“Yormark’s going to kick every tire possible,” a Big 12 athletic director said. “We’re open to looking at anything. UConn is a big brand, the biggest-branded institution in the Northeast.”

Reaction Score
Anyone complaining about leaving the Big East does not see the big picture. If this happens, get ready for the Big 24 conference. When the ACC collapses and the biggest brands go to the SEC and B1G, schools like Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, Virginia Tech and NCST will be added to the Big 12. Would you rather play Villanova, St Johns, Providence and seton hall or would you rather play Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, West Virginia, Cincinnati and NCST?

Reaction Score
Despite my incoming 35 posts and constant following of this thread, wake me up when this is finalized. I've been duped too many times before
I stopped reading the thread after your post for the same reason

Reaction Score
7 years is a long time to wait for full FB membership. But, like every thing else in re-alignment , things are constantly changing. That 7 year time line could be adjusted along the way. All we want is get our feet in the door. Husky nation will rise to all time record heights.

Reaction Score
As I posted in the conference realignment board, congrats in advance to the random ACC schools that we are being used as bait for!

Kidding, kind of.. I don’t fully understand how football money and realignment works (95% just a bball fan). So legit question - what’s the benefit for each side in basketball going in 26 and football in 31?

Reaction Score
I guess the 2031 for football is because they don't envision ESPN stepping up with the $$ on the football side - only basketball side. Think UConn has to take it to be on the inside, but would suck to leave the Big East

Reaction Score
Anyone complaining about leaving the Big East does not see the big picture. If this happens, get ready for the Big 24 conference. When the ACC collapses and the biggest brands go to the SEC and B1G, schools like Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, Virginia Tech and NCST will be added to the Big 12. Would you rather play Villanova, St Johns, Providence and seton hall or would you rather play Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, West Virginia, Cincinnati and NCST?
People, just imagine how good it will feel to vote against BC joining the BIG12 once the ACC collapses

Reaction Score
Yormark is far more inventive than anything the ACC is doing. He’s pulled a haul out of the P12, he’s looked into PE funding and he’s creative in his branding strategies and income stream potential. He’s also looking to becomes diverse enough and large enough to reach critical mass.

The ACC is just a stodgy flat conference that has only made cheap moves out of desperation, with constant internal squabbling.

Once the collegiate sports landscape evolves further, the small BE hoops schools may very well be left in the economic dust unfortunately.

We want the B12 and there is no counter argument.

Reaction Score
Hoping the 2031 date is about full TV payout, not actually joining the league for football.

Yes UConn football isn't great, but achieving parity with the bottom half of the league isn't going to be a titanic effort. UConn won't be Vanderbilt.
Agreed, the 2031 thing doesn't make sense. Creating a monumental disadvantage for the school/team you just invited to the conference wouldn't make any sense for the Big 12 or for UConn.

I'll always love the Big East but I hope the deal happens. The deal has to make sense though. I'm really tired of UConn bringing so much to the table for everyone else while UConn gets screwed.

I have to imagine it would be a half share or something. I much quicker timeline for football joining. A scheduling deal with the Big 12 that we have to show a pulse or reach certain goals in football before football is let in as a full member.

Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds