UConn/Big 12 Meeting Next Week | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn/Big 12 Meeting Next Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Does the B12 really care if the stadium is in Storrs or E Hartford? I doubt it.

My guess is that it would more likely be a seating capacity criteria (expansion to 60k min seating) and program investment minimum.

If it is anything tied to attendance or performance, it needs to be a non-starter for UConn. Otherwise we just become the Temple -Big East football story from 20 years ago and get used as a placeholder until a better situation materializes for the B12 in 2031 closer to ACC implosion.
I remember reading years ago that structurally, The Rent was built so that a 2nd tier could be added across from the tower.

Reaction Score
Anyone complaining about leaving the Big East does not see the big picture. If this happens, get ready for the Big 24 conference. When the ACC collapses and the biggest brands go to the SEC and B1G, schools like Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, Virginia Tech and NCST will be added to the Big 12. Would you rather play Villanova, St Johns, Providence and seton hall or would you rather play Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, West Virginia, Cincinnati and NCST?
Does BC end up in the AAC?

Reaction Score
I think it looks bad for Yormark for the story to get out there if he doesn't have the votes.

It sounds like Benedict and Toscano went out there to make a presentation to the Big 12 athletic directors at Yormark's request to get it over the line. Last year, Yormark visited UConn. I don't believe anyone from UConn went to the Big 12.
The process already looks much further than it was last year when it was all smoke for us

Reaction Score
No it isn’t. Once Hurley’s gone, UConn playing teams on average about 1800 miles from campus will be a drag on recruitment. I would assume the same for whenever Auriemma retires, too. The bubble will absolutely burst.
You realize this is where all conferences are going? UCLA and USC are in the B10. The ACC just took on Stanford and Cal. Once you have to hop on a plane, how different is it really?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I'm a basketball fan, I love the Big East, I love the BET at MSG in NYC. I love all the success we've had as a member of the Big East

That's as a basketball fan. I love our success

I'm also a realist, and if the school has the opportunity to make 10 or 20 million more per year, they have to take it. We would be in that conference already if the PAC 12 didn't implode.

I will forever be grateful to the Big East. I hope that if we were to leave, we make a commitment to continue playing their best schools every year.

PS: I prefer the Big 10, a better fir geographically. With our amazing success in basketball and the quality of our other sports programs, it's only a matter of time. If Jim Mora has a very good year, we're gone (sadly for this Big East basketball fan)

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
and it sounds like ESPN would pay up, or at least the Admins think ESPN would pay up based on this quote- "Current members have been told UConn’s addition would be “budget-neutral” and would not reduce conference revenue payouts to existing members, according to multiple Big 12 administrators."
ESPN? Well now, there's an old friend of ours. As a taxpayer I don't like the potential idea of ESPN using our University as a bargaining chip to reorganize things for their benefit. If you stand back and look at whatever details, if any, are being revealed it sounds really kind of preposterous. It sounds like a BIG 12 commisioner deal with ESPN and the whole rest of league insisting on no football money for Uconn. In other words no one in the Big 12 really wants the university except possibly the commissioner and he only because ESPN likes (maybe) the proposal (if any). And they are coughing up the difference? Really?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I get the financial implications here, but UConn in the Big XII will damage both basketball programs, and UConn football will still suck / be largely irrelevant in their home state.

I dread the day Hurley heads to the NBA and the next coach has to recruit kids who won’t want to deal with the 1200-2600 miles to each opponent’s campus.

I could probably be talked into an ACC situation. A bunch of (elitist) morons run that conference though.

Even though these kids routinely travel hundreds and thousands of miles as youth and teens with their club teams and AAU teams prior to college.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Does the B12 really care if the stadium is in Storrs or E Hartford? I doubt it.

My guess is that it would more likely be a seating capacity criteria (expansion to 60k min seating) and program investment minimum.

If it is anything tied to attendance or performance, it needs to be a non-starter for UConn. Otherwise we just become the Temple -Big East football story from 20 years ago and get used as a placeholder until a better situation materializes for the B12 in 2031 closer to ACC implosion.

Many of the B12 schools have seating well below 60k.

The Rent is already structured for expansion and getting to 50k is easy and well within range for B12 schools.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Anyone complaining about leaving the Big East does not see the big picture. If this happens, get ready for the Big 24 conference. When the ACC collapses and the biggest brands go to the SEC and B1G, schools like Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, Virginia Tech and NCST will be added to the Big 12. Would you rather play Villanova, St Johns, Providence and seton hall or would you rather play Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, West Virginia, Cincinnati and NCST?
That's an interesting take but a lot of very big "ifs".

Reaction Score
1724497278276.gif

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score

UConn men’s basketball coach Bobby Hurley is not against a move to the Big 12, a source said.

“He loves the Big East, but he understands the Big 12 provides more resources and more money,” the source said.

“Yormark’s going to kick every tire possible,” a Big 12 athletic director said. “We’re open to looking at anything. UConn is a big brand, the biggest-branded institution in the Northeast.”

Tire kicker def.:

In sales, a tire kicker is a potential customer who appears interested in a product or service but is hesitant to buy it. The term comes from the car sales industry, where tire kickers would visit dealerships, kick tires, and talk to salespeople but rarely make a purchase.

Tire kickers can waste time and resources by asking questions and taking part in discussions without buying. They can also prolong the sales process by raising objections and dragging their feet. For example, a tire kicker might say "let me sleep on it" or "I didn't mean to buy anything here".

Interesting choice of word.
Here are some ways to identify a tire kicker:

• They don't have a timeline: They might not be ready to buy and might not even be in the market for a solution.

• They're cheapskates: They might not care about the product or value prop and just want the best deal.

• They're leisurely shoppers: They might not have a sense of urgency and might just be shopping around.
If you're dealing with a tire kicker, you can try asking them about their timeline or pain points. You can also try to stay in control of the conversation by asking questions about your solution and the value of their issue.

Reaction Score
I'm sure someone may have stated this already. But that travel schedule will be brutal. Closest game will be West Virginia? Ugh. I'm just not a fan. But I understand the football need for survival

Reaction Score
Lol, Dauster is nuts. I'm sure Dan is horrified and pissed off beyond belief that we would be in the absolute best basketball conference in the country while having exciting matchups against the cream of the crop in the sport like Kansas, Baylor, Arizona, and Houston.
Also, Dan publicly would say the Big East does a horrible job marketing the conference (which is true). The Big 12 is the best at marketing the conference and will only raise Dans and the basketball programs even higher.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Dauster really is an idiot.

His first sentence is spot on, though. The giant money grab has made college sports lose a lot.

If you're talking pre-2004, the concept of all of this geographical craziness and loss of rivalries would be exactly what he's railing on about.

Now? The big conferences have spoken. Rutgers will have conference games in the Pacific time zone. So will ACC teams.

Ironically, Kansas football is exactly what we would model in a power conference - get the right coach, and ride the train. The good news is, we may already have the right coach - we just need the revenue. The fact it comes with the best rated conference in CBB, and over an extended period of time now, is a bonus.

Reaction Score

UConn men’s basketball coach Bobby Hurley is not against a move to the Big 12, a source said.

“He loves the Big East, but he understands the Big 12 provides more resources and more money,” the source said.

“Yormark’s going to kick every tire possible,” a Big 12 athletic director said. “We’re open to looking at anything. UConn is a big brand, the biggest-branded institution in the Northeast.”

This is the money shot of that article

The source brought up examples of the football programs at Arizona and Kansas, which struggled in past seasons but are coming off impressive 2023 seasons. Both the Wildcats and Jayhawks are expected to contend for the Big 12 football title this year.

“Just look at Arizona and Kansas a few years ago,” the source said. “There’s a huge media value up there [in the Northeast]. That’s why Yormark looks at it.”

The question is: will the Big 12 presidents pull the trigger?

Boston College, Syracuse, and Rutgers. Maybe, Pitt but their more midwest i think. That is the competition in the P4 from the Northeast. That is who we have to be better than for recruits in the region. When on equal footing we MORE than held our own against this fearsome quartet.

Since the implosion of Big East football, the school has been trying to do this with both hands tied behind their backs.

Reaction Score
Ummm, what?

The exchanges with that entire crew about this last year were spectacularly stupid. We pay our coaching staffs almost double the BE's new media contract payout.

Unlike the rest of the Big East, UConn REALLY invests in WBB. The need for additional revenue continues to grow and these dudes continue to whistle past the graveyard.

Reaction Score
Lame Lame Lame. Putting together a project to show how they’ll invest more in football, when you only want us for basketball. Already been in a league with Houston and it was boring.

I get the business side of it, I’ll never like it though.

Reaction Score
Lol, Dauster is nuts. I'm sure Dan is horrified and pissed off beyond belief that we would be in the absolute best basketball conference in the country while having exciting matchups against the cream of the crop in the sport like Kansas, Baylor, Arizona, and Houston.
Dan has brought up numerous times that he is concerned with the amount of $ that are being brought in by the Big East each year & that he is worried for the future for UConn. He’s even brought up the Big East TV contract.

There was about a dozen writers during that three-four day period where Hurley was debating on going to the Lakers who actually wrote that part of the reason why Hurley might leave is because UConn is not part of a power 5 conference & that he is worried about the future money for the program & conference. Pretty sure his good friend Greenberg was one of them.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The current NIL model is good for the Big East, because they have lots of basketball fans who may be wealthy donors in wealthy parts of the country, and those donors donate to basketball.

The future NIL revenue sharing model is very bad for the Big East, because they have ~7% of the media rights/CFP revenue of the B1G/SEC and 15% of the B12/ACC tier.
It’s not just a money or recruiting issue. The Big 12 and Big recently announced they were ending play vs. the BE in the near future. The opportunity for BE teams to build resumes to get into the NCAA Tournament and/or get seeds that improve championship chances will be significantly reduced with the way things are trending.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
How’s that compare to the other 4 power bball conferences? 100 players divided by 5 power conferences equals 20 players per conference if they’re equally distributed, so 14 would seem slightly below average.
Fuzzy math. Need to take into consideration the number of teams/conference.

Reaction Score
I get the financial implications here, but UConn in the Big XII will damage both basketball programs, and UConn football will still suck / be largely irrelevant in their home state.

I dread the day Hurley heads to the NBA and the next coach has to recruit kids who won’t want to deal with the 1200-2600 miles to each opponent’s campus.

I could probably be talked into an ACC situation. A bunch of (elitist) morons run that conference though.
You are not wrong TODAY. If the college sports world doesn’t change from what it is today, it is rational to stay in the Big East and let football die.

The problem, of course, is leaders have to make decisions based on what the world will look like in the future, and as many of us have been saying since the day Syracuse and Pitt left the Big East there is a rational fear that the day is coming when it might not be possible to be a national player in hoops without playing big time football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom