UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread | Page 79 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread

Reaction Score
I think the biggest recruits for the 25’ season are Cooke Quinn Afthim and Padilla. If Uconn retains these guys it really will have turned into a campaign to host a regional in Storrs and the hype that comes with that preseason. Nationally, that has always been in June(if at all) not Dec/Jan. This year should be different. These guys have been program guys who are competing at that level and having 2 years of that production opposed to one year’s magical run is the key. That’s how they’ll build momentum as a program…nationally.
At least two if not three of these guys will be drafted

Reaction Score
I agree. And if Cooke should dominate in the supers and CWS I think all 3 will be drafted. However, what rounds? Quinn should be a weekend guy next year and have all the opportunities to up his stock. Afthim has 20 innings pitched, I still believe his stock can certainly rise…of all of them, Cooke might be the one with the least to gain by returning should he show out against FSU and into the CWS.

The case can be made for all to move on and certainly imo, all to return, and give the program what they haven’t had. Preseason hype on a national stage. That should be told to these guys, it’s not selfish as a program by any means. At some point, a talented core of players returning( who’ve demonstrated success) will need to be in place to garner that hype that does elevate programs.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I agree. And if Cooke should dominate in the supers and CWS I think all 3 will be drafted. However, what rounds? Quinn should be a weekend guy next year and have all the opportunities to up his stock. Afthim has 20 innings pitched, I still believe his stock can certainly rise…of all of them, Cooke might be the one with the least to gain by returning should he show out against FSU and into the CWS.

The case can be made for all to move on and certainly imo, all to return, and give the program what they haven’t had. Preseason hype on a national stage. That should be told to these guys, it’s not selfish as a program by any means. At some point, a talented core of players returning( who’ve demonstrated success) will need to be in place to garner that hype that does elevate programs.
This us where a robust NIL program could help.

Reaction Score
In terms of baseball I would think Padilla is most likely of those 4 to return as I don’t see him as a big draft candidate. He’s been here for 4 years so who knows what he sees for his future now that he has a degree presumably. It would be huge to keep him though as shortstop looks like a big hole that he could fill currently.

Reaction Score
Crazy how bad we missed out on mozzicato. He would have been better off spending time in cbb.

Reaction Score
Imo broadhurst, and minnick were the best hitters on uconn this year. Broadhurst is seriously underrated, and in a just world gets drafted within the first 5 rounds.

Reaction Score
Imo broadhurst, and minnick were the best hitters on uconn this year. Broadhurst is seriously underrated, and in a just world gets drafted within the first 5 rounds.
Broadhurst is already 25, which is why you won’t see him as a draft prospect. There has been a lot of research to determine aging curves for MLB players and the peak is around age 26. Older college guys like Broadhurst are not seen as having a lot of growth potential because of this

Reaction Score
Broadhurst is already 25, which is why you won’t see him as a draft prospect. There has been a lot of research to determine aging curves for MLB players and the peak is around age 26. Older college guys like Broadhurst are not seen as having a lot of growth potential because of this
Different game with a wood bat. His summer numbers are totally different than his college #’s.

Reaction Score

I was going to make the same point. As far as the MLB draft goes, the teams tend to go after younger players with potential that still can be developed. As far as Broadhurst goes (and this goes for pretty much all grad transfers), they are certainly older than the normal draft candidates.

Also figured if Broadhurst was going to get drafted, it would have been after last season, but now he is another year older.

Reaction Score
I was going to make the same point. As far as the MLB draft goes, the teams tend to go after younger players with potential that still can be developed. As far as Broadhurst goes (and this goes for pretty much all grad transfers), they are certainly older than the normal draft candidates.

Also figured if Broadhurst was going to get drafted, it would have been after last season, but now he is another year older.
Right, I think last year and this year are interchangeable with LB, almost the same numbers. He should have been picked up last year, and david smith, no clue what scouts saw in him. LB age is sus, but I thought these college prospects you need to take age with a grain of salt because LB lost a year with the 2020 pandemic

Reaction Score
Crazy how bad we missed out on mozzicato. He would have been better off spending time in cbb.
Mozzicato is doing well in pro ball. He is developing well, has an ERA under 3 in high-A, is graded as a top prospect, and already banked a $3.5MM bonus. Objectively, it is hard for me to see how he would be doing better if he were in college.

Reaction Score
With the UConn baseball season now over, it is good time to provide the annual current summery of recruits who have been reported in this thread as having committed to UConn baseball. In the past, summer and fall have been a time when many such commitments are reported both for the upcoming season and future seasons. There is always the possibility of a number of transfers and possibly other recruits who will join UConn baseball for fall ball this September in addition to the recruits already listed.

High school Class of 2024

Gabriel Tirado - C
Anthony Belisario - SS/OF
Jack LaRose - SS
Connor Lane - C/1B/3B

Cole Taylor - RHP/3B
Joey Tonnotti - RHP/OF
Cayden Suchy - LHP/OF
Drew Smith - RHP
Owen Norrell - LHP
Zach Worzel - LHP

Aidan Dougherty - OF/1B - JUCO Transfer from Linn-Benton Community College
Grant MacArthur - 1B/3B - JUCO Transfer from San Joaquin Delta College

Evan Hamberger - LHP - JUCO Transfer from Spokane Falls CC
Sam Hutchinson - LHP - Eastern Connecticut

High school Class of 2025

Logan Charboneau - 1B
Matthew McDowell - SS
Camden Righi - C
Henry Jackson - SS
Jordan Rich - OF
Bryce Detwiler - INF/P

Brady Ericson - LHP
Daniel Margolies - LHP
Traigh Skiffington - RHP

High school Class of 2026

Vincent Lombardo - OF
Amato Civitello - SS/RHP

Shaun Flannery - RHP

Reaction Score
Right, I think last year and this year are interchangeable with LB, almost the same numbers. He should have been picked up last year, and david smith, no clue what scouts saw in him. LB age is sus, but I thought these college prospects you need to take age with a grain of salt because LB lost a year with the 2020 pandemic

Broadhurst spent 7 years in college, he was redshirted in his freshman season at UConn before transferring to Eastern. Like I said before, I get the idea that for the most part the teams in the MLB draft are not interested in drafting 25 year olds when they can pick someone who is around 21 years old who shows potential for his game to grow.

David Smith spent 4 years in college, transferring to UConn after his freshman season at LaSalle, so he would have been about 22 years old when he was drafted. I was not surprised at all when Smith got drafted, he did very well at UConn and played all over the place, both in the infield and outfield, and wasn't bad at any of those defensive spots.

Like I said before, I doubt all that many grad transfers get taken in the MLB draft, it seems the older the player is, the less likely that player will get taken in the draft.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
With the UConn baseball season now over, it is good time to provide the annual current summery of recruits who have been reported in this thread as having committed to UConn baseball. In the past, summer and fall have been a time when many such commitments are reported both for the upcoming season and future seasons. There is always the possibility of a number of transfers and possibly other recruits who will join UConn baseball for fall ball this September in addition to the recruits already listed.

Gabriel Tirado - C
Jack LaRose - SS
Connor Lane - C/1B/3B

Cole Taylor - RHP/3B
Joey Tonnotti - RHP/OF
Cayden Suchy - LHP/OF
Drew Smith - RHP
Owen Norrell - LHP
Zach Worzel - LHP

Logan Charboneau - 1B
Matthew McDowell - SS
Camden Righi - C
Henry Jackson - SS
Jordan Rich - OF
Bryce Detwiler - INF/P

Brady Ericson - LHP
Daniel Margolies - LHP
Traigh Skiffington - RHP

Vincent Lombardo - OF
Amato Civitello - SS/RHP

Shaun Flannery - RHP
McDowell will pitch. At Brookfield this year, he was 9-1 with 1 Earned Run and 14 hits given up in 51+ innings (0.17 ERA). Struck out 107.

Reaction Score
High enough?
That’s the question. As referenced here Mozzicato’s situation is/was a no brainer considering the signing bonus. I don’t think all of these guys are facing that easy of a choice.

I believe Quinn has the potential to move himself within top 3 rounds in 25’. Cooke needs an entire season in the weekend rotation imo. I do believe Cooke can up his draft status enough. Afthim, perhaps he’s ready in scouts eyes despite such a small sample size and the minimal impact when u consider the entirety of his Uconn career. That’s not a slight. His usage was minimal, therefore his imprint on a game to game basis was limited. Again, from a fan’s perspective and I think that’s important stating so.

Reaction Score

Gabriel Tirado - C
Jack LaRose - SS
Connor Lane - C/1B/3B

Cole Taylor - RHP/3B
Joey Tonnotti - RHP/OF
Cayden Suchy - LHP/OF
Drew Smith - RHP
Owen Norrell - LHP
Zach Worzel - LHP

Logan Charboneau - 1B
Matthew McDowell - SS
Camden Righi - C
Henry Jackson - SS
Jordan Rich - OF
Bryce Detwiler - INF/P

Brady Ericson - LHP
Daniel Margolies - LHP
Traigh Skiffington - RHP

Vincent Lombardo - OF
Amato Civitello - SS/RHP

Shaun Flannery - RHP
The question is how many guys in each class can realistically be counted on to produce in a way that’s gonna get you to a Super and the talent to take the next step, their frosh year? Idk the answer to any of that. This is why I continue to think the returning guys are more important based upon recruiting strategy. One season of high end production from 3rd year guys, is not enough with only 1 or 2 frosh being able to contribute per class.

Reaction Score
The question is how many guys in each class can realistically be counted on to produce in a way that’s gonna get you to a Super and the talent to take the next step, their frosh year? Idk the answer to any of that. This is why I continue to think the returning guys are more important based upon recruiting strategy. One season of high end production from 3rd year guys, is not enough with only 1 or 2 frosh being able to contribute per class.
This is the real $10,000 question because the guys you can pencil in as likely freshman contributors are also the most likely to get picked out of high school in the draft. I think there are a few of these guys on that list but who makes it to Storrs will be the interesting part.

Reaction Score
High enough?
Now that the draft is only 20 rounds, yeah. At this point if you're drafted you're basically a lock to sign. Teams don't have enough picks now to throw away a pick on a guy they don't know will sign

Reaction Score
That Class of 2024 position player group may be small but damn is it good. If 4/4 get to campus (Lane - whether he hits or pitches, and Tirado being the bigger worries), I think they could all see time as true freshmen.

We all love the hard-nosed grit the D-III transfers have given us, but I also think we all know the best UConn teams, and our best shot at getting to Omaha, is with a team built around highly-recruited homegrown talent.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom