UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread | Page 52 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread

Reaction Score

Hearst is blocking alternate access link… so Google article title for access if needed:

-> It was in the spring of 2019 that Pascarelli felt pinching in his elbow at Haddam-Killingworth. He was able to go three innings, but his arm went numb. “Then I felt a pop,” he said, “and that’s when I really felt the pain.” An MRI showed he needed Tommy John surgery. He decided to hold off until the end of the season, so he could still contribute with the bat. On June 20, 2019, he had the UCL in his left arm removed and replaced by a tendon in his left leg.<-

-> Pascarelli had decided to go to Bryant before the injury, but the coaching staff left for Rutgers. Nothing against Bryant, he said, but he didn’t have the same relationship as with the other coaches. UConn contacted him almost immediately after he decommitted and stayed in touch with him. “There was a real connection,” said Pascarelli, who committed to UConn in December. “I really want to hit there, too. They also tried to sell me on Lefthand U.” Mason Feole, Tim Cate, Anthony Kay … did the selling job work? “Oh, it worked,” said Pascarelli, who plans to major in sports management. <-

->Pascarelli holds up East Catholic star and no-hit wonder Frank Mozzicato as his motivation — “the fire under my butt.” He said he hopes Mozzicato goes to UConn and not immediately pro. Yet for the weekend? There’s another UConn commit on Pascarelli’s radar. St. Paul’s star shortstop Ryan Daniels, who he knows from training at D-BAT in Cheshire. “I see him there all the time, but I never talked to him until I committed to UConn,” Pascarelli said. “He came up to me one day and said, ‘Oh, you’re going to school with me?’ There’s been a connection. We’ve even been exchanging scouting reports.” He gave Daniels one on Hale Ray. Daniels gave him one on Northwest Catholic. And for Friday night? “Absolutely no secrets shared until after the game,” Pascarelli said. “I did tell him win or lose we’re going to take a picture together afterward.” <-

Reaction Score
-> Pascarelli had decided to go to Bryant before the injury, but the coaching staff left for Rutgers. Nothing against Bryant, he said, but he didn’t have the same relationship as with the other coaches. UConn contacted him almost immediately after he decommitted and stayed in touch with him.

The UConn coaching staff also had a very good relationship with the Bryant coaching staff before it left for Rutgers. At any rate, Chris Jones during game broadcasts had talked about UConn playing Rutgers in the near future, perhaps starting as early as next season. No doubt this is a result of the good relationship with that coaching staff.

Reaction Score
The UConn coaching staff also had a very good relationship with the Bryant coaching staff before it left for Rutgers. At any rate, Chris Jones during game broadcasts had talked about UConn playing Rutgers in the near future, perhaps starting as early as next season. No doubt this is a result of the good relationship with that coaching staff.
That is a chance to get a couple of decent RPI assisting mid-week games. Owens (the Rutgers coach) has his 1st sub 500 season in 29 years of coaching in his first year at Rutgers (there is a joke there somewhere). He will not have a losing team for long as he recruits and coaches very well. Add Rutgers and keep Northeastern, Rhode Island, Bryant and Fairfield on the mid-week schedule so there isn't the RPI damage.

Reaction Score
That is a chance to get a couple of decent RPI assisting mid-week games. Owens (the Rutgers coach) has his 1st sub 500 season in 29 years of coaching in his first year at Rutgers (there is a joke there somewhere). He will not have a losing team for long as he recruits and coaches very well. Add Rutgers and keep Northeastern, Rhode Island, Bryant and Fairfield on the mid-week schedule so there isn't the RPI damage.

I believe Chris Jones was talking about Rutgers as a weekend series, not a midweek game.

Personally, I'm not at all worried about how Coach Penders schedules the non conference games. UConn always has a quality non conference schedule, and with doubling up against the better New England schools, that will help it out even more.

Reaction Score

-> East Catholic is playing for its first state title since 1997, which was won under the direction of Jim Penders Sr. They last made the championship game in 2011, also under Penders Sr. <-

Reaction Score
I was on hand to watch Frank pitch… he is the real deal. I was in the section to the right of the scouts. There had to have been a scout from every team. They were beyond impressed with Frank, clearly talking with each other about his talent. His curve is probably one of the best in the draft.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I was on hand to watch Frank pitch… he is the real deal. I was in the section to the right of the scouts. There had to have been a scout from every team. They were beyond impressed with Frank, clearly talking with each other about his talent. His curve is probably one of the best in the draft.
I know I'm most likely barking up the wrong tree - Just one year of Mozzicato at UConn would be a dream

Reaction Score
I know I'm most likely barking up the wrong tree - Just one year of Mozzicato at UConn would be a dream
That would be nice but unfortunately in college baseball it's either no college or 3 years as far as I know. During the super regionals they did talk about the fact that the quicker route to the majors is often through college. I'm not sure if they were only talking about position players and probably does not apply to a pitcher like Mozzicato. Frank's timing was impeccable for a high draft pick.

Reaction Score

Kyle Peters is a 2023 RHP/IF with a 5-9 170 lb. frame from Drums, PA who attends Hazleton Area. Ran a 7.98 second sixty-yard dash. Primary right-handed pitcher with a medium frame and build. Has a boxed delivery that allows him to drive down the mound well, showcasing a short arm action and over the top slot. Slot helps the low-80s fastball play up to hitters. Locates the fastball well, using both edges to keep hitters uncomfortable. Flashes feel to spin a short cutter that has tight bite to the glove side, showing the ability to use it in any count. Operation is easy, allowing for good repeatability and command. Also worked out in the infield, showcasing functional footwork and a side arm release. Has smooth glove actions, gaining ground into accurate throws across the diamond at 77 miles per hour. Has a high hand set and back elbow at the plate, with a hanging leg lift trigger and some juice when squared. Swing is long at times, with a middle of the field approach and developing bat speed. Good student.<

Reaction Score
If he goes to college, doesn't he have to stay three years?

Reaction Score
Once enrolled, player cannot be drafted until completion of his junior year OR attaining age 21.

Reaction Score
Once enrolled, player cannot be drafted until completion of his junior year OR attaining age 21.
Correct, and Frank will be 18 later this week so wouldn't hit 21 until after his junior year

Reaction Score

Yes, that is how it works for NCAA Division 1 schools and their players. JUCO players have different rules (I think they can leave to go pro after both their freshman and sophomore years), and it may be also be different for schools that aren't in Division 1.

Reaction Score
I found this story in the Athletic about the rivalry between Gerrit Cole and Trevor Bauer. Cole could have signed out of high school being drafted number 28, but chose to pitch for UCLA. It would be nice if Frank followed this route.

Excerpt from article.

When Cole showed up to UCLA workouts in the summer before his freshman year in 2008, even those who didn’t know him knew of him. “That’s what happens when you throw 100 mph in high school and get drafted in the first round by the Yankees,” Rasmussen says. The Yankees had taken Cole 28th overall out of Orange Lutheran High. They had from June 5 until Aug. 15 to sign him. Bruins players were certain Cole’s training with them was a tactic Scott Boras, his advisor, was using to squeeze the Yankees for a bigger signing bonus.

“You thought, ‘OK, it sounded nice. Gerrit could come here and be the Friday night starter. But now he can go take $4 million as an 18-year-old. How can he turn that down?’” says Danny Lee, a former UCLA broadcaster.

On campus the day before the signing deadline, Cole asked Decker, the team’s senior captain, “Hey, Cody, you think I’m going to be here tomorrow?”

“I looked at him and said, ‘No. If you are, I’m going to kill you,’” Decker recalls. “He asked why. I’m like, ‘Because you’re being offered so much money. … If you turn down your money, I’m going to lose my mind.’

“He looked me dead in the eye and, without even an ounce of (sarcasm), says, ‘Or I’ll just play here for three years, go first overall and sign for $10 million.’

Reaction Score
New field paying collateral dividends - top kids in recruiting footprint getting exposed to campus/facilities early (sorry for size - working off mobile all weekend);

008.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom