UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread | Page 50 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread

Reaction Score
If I had to bet I would say he ends up signing, but it's not a no brainer in my opinion. I don't think anyone has him as a surefire first-rounder, so if he drops to like the 3rd round even an above slot offer is like 2-3 mill, after taxes/agent fees maybe 1.5. Obviously a ton of dough, but is it enough to make a kid who goes to a private school and is committed to his dream school sign? If I'm Penders, I'm saying hey, come here for free, play with your friends/in front of your family instead of random places in the middle of nowhere, by your junior year you're sitting 93-95 and a top-15 pick getting a 6+ mill bonus. It's a tough pitch but not unreasonable or unheard of.

Odds are he goes, but Penders is also his close friend's father. There is every reason to think that if playing in Storrs is a rational choice against the opportunity to go to the minors, he'll take it. I'm just not confident it will be a rational choice.

Reaction Score
Odds are he goes, but Penders is also his close friend's father. There is every reason to think that if playing in Storrs is a rational choice against the opportunity to go to the minors, he'll take it. I'm just not confident it will be a rational choice.
Agreed. I've been trying to think of somewhat recent comps, and the one that seemed pretty similar is Steven Matz. He got drafted 72nd overall out of Long Island, signed for a little under a million. But, he had committed to Coastal Carolina, not UConn/his friend's dad, so who the heck knows. I mean, Gerrit Cole passed up $4 mil to go to UCLA, then went 1-1 and doubled his bonus to true F-U money. If the kid has that type of confidence in himself, maybe he comes here, brings us to an even higher level, and then gets Paid.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Based of that article, Mozzicato is not the finished product. He has growth opportunity which contributes to his upside. After reading that article, I think it is at worst 50/50 he comes to UConn.

Reaction Score
What does the article say?

A brief overview would be great. DO they think there is any chance that he DOESN'T go MLB?
Keith Law left the door open, said Petty's profile of a hard throwing prep arm is the type that needs to take the money but a guy like Mozzicato has a better argument of improving his stock over the next 3 years

Reaction Score
Keith Law left the door open, said Petty's profile of a hard throwing prep arm is the type that needs to take the money but a guy like Mozzicato has a better argument of improving his stock over the next 3 years

-> Both of these teenagers will probably go in the top 50 picks, depending on signability. Petty is committed to Florida, but pitchers with his kind of arm strength should always sign out of high school — he’s more comparable to Karsten Whitson than A.J. Puk at the same age. Mozzicato is committed to Connecticut, which doesn’t have Florida’s history of churning out prospects, but he has a better argument that he’ll improve in the next three years, even if only from physical maturation, than Petty does. I could see Petty sneaking into the back of the first round, and he seems very likely to be some team’s second pick on an over-slot deal if not, whereas Mozzicato could go in the 30-50 range. <-

Reaction Score
The UConn Baseball future appears bright... take a minute to read his one.

Alternate access link here <<

-> Outline truncated the ending:

“Fifteen long balls and counting, Daniels has surprised even himself. Doing it at home is even sweeter. “I can’t say I expected this,” Daniels said. “It’s a great feeling. It spreads for sure — my teammates have been hitting insanely well, too. My whole team has been hitting the heck out of the ball.”

Reaction Score
Not sure if this was posted elsewhere, but Cole Chudoba (6’2, 202/RPH/Oxford, CT/Assumption University) will be playing for UConn as a grad transfer next year. Chudoba’s stock began to rise playing with the Worcester Bravehearts the past two summers. His fastball sits 93-95. The Assumption grad will spend the summer in the Cape with the Bourne Braves.

Reaction Score
Not sure if this was posted elsewhere, but Cole Chudoba (6’2, 202/RPH/Oxford, CT/Assumption University) will be playing for UConn as a grad transfer next year. Chudoba’s stock began to rise playing with the Worcester Bravehearts the past two summers. His fastball sits 93-95. The Assumption grad will spend the summer in the Cape with the Bourne Braves.

The UConn - Bourne Braves connection is active once again.

Reaction Score

The coaching staff in their recruiting as certainly started working the Grad Transfer market the last couple of years.

Reaction Score

Makes sense to save him for some real competition (although Class S is usually a joke outside of maybe five teams a year).

Also, has CIAC switched over to pitch count limits vs. innings? It's been a while since I've been plugged in, I'm assuming pretty much all of amateur baseball has by now though.

Reaction Score
Makes sense to save him for some real competition (although Class S is usually a joke outside of maybe five teams a year).

Also, has CIAC switched over to pitch count limits vs. innings? It's been a while since I've been plugged in, I'm assuming pretty much all of amateur baseball has by now though.
I’m pretty sure it is pitch count. Also, East Catholic is class M which isn’t the biggest difference in the world but I would imagine East is saving him for the quarterfinals

Reaction Score
I’m pretty sure it is pitch count. Also, East Catholic is class M which isn’t the biggest difference in the world but I would imagine East is saving him for the quarterfinals
Gotcha. Yeah, Class M can be pretty competitive once the vocational schools get knocked out.

Reaction Score
Yea it seems tough to hold him until the quarters but that would line him up for the finals which is kind of story book. The risk is the potential matchup with Waterford in the semis. So you either use him today and then in the semis. or on Saturday in the Quarters and then in the finals (potentially). My guess is he pitches Saturday.

First round Tues 6/1
Second Wed 6/2 - #16 Morgan 11-8

Quarters Sat 6/5 - #8 New Fairfield 14-4 or #9 Weston 14-4

Semis - Tues 6/8 #4 Waterford 16-1 (probably) or #20 Rocky Hill 11-10 #28 Tolland 9-12 or #21 Sheehan 10-9)
Finals - Fri 6/11 or Sat 6/12

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yea it seems tough to hold him until the quarters but that would line him up for the finals which is kind of story book. The risk is the potential matchup with Waterford in the semis. So you either use him today and then in the semis. or on Saturday in the Quarters and then in the finals (potentially). My guess is he pitches Saturday.

First round Tues 6/1
Second Wed 6/2 - #16 Morgan 11-8

Quarters Sat 6/5 - #8 New Fairfield 14-4 or #9 Weston 14-4

Semis - Tues 6/8 #4 Waterford 16-1 (probably) or #20 Rocky Hill 11-10 #28 Tolland 9-12 or #21 Sheehan 10-9)
Finals - Fri 6/11 or Sat 6/12

Mozzicato came in today to get the last three outs versus Morgan.

Reaction Score
Mozzicato came in today to get the last three outs versus Morgan.

Makes sense. He was probably due for a bullpen day in between starts so might as well get 3 strike outs out of him. Would guess there is going to be quite a large crowd there on Saturday.

Reaction Score
Haven’t scrubbed it yet but I see Ryan Daniels, Drew Kron, Koby Pascarelli and Mozzicato so far.

Matt Garbowski under Class M.
Braden Quinn under Class M.

By the way, Hank Penders, son of Coach Penders also made it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom