Men - UConn Baseball 2024 | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Baseball 2024

Reaction Score
Penders program has become the sdsu of college baseball. They make the tourney, make some big splashes, then get crushed.

Reaction Score
Penders program has become the sdsu of college baseball. They make the tourney, make some big splashes, then get crushed.
The Boneyard never ceases to amaze me. You must not really follow college baseball, to make that remark. At least 95% of college teams would kill, to have UConn’s success. Doing it in the Northeast is unbelievable. I believe Coach Hurley stated that Jim Penders is the best coach at UConn. Think about that for a moment.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
The Boneyard never ceases to amaze me. You must not really follow college baseball, to make that remark. At least 95% of college teams would kill, to have UConn’s success. Doing it in the Northeast is unbelievable. I believe Coach Hurley stated that Jim Penders is the best coach at UConn. Think about that for a moment.

Bear in mind what prospective coaches would think about this job, too. If someone offered me the UConn head coaching position after FIRING A COACH WHO HAS BEEN TO 2 SUPERS IN 3 YEARS, I’m laughing very hard at DB on the phone for at least 10 minutes before hanging up.

Reaction Score
That might go down as worst take ever on the baseball board. Saying Omaha or bust for a NE program where all chips are stacked against you is ludicrous. This turned out to be a heck of a year and they advanced to a super with a team that quite frankly overachieved. That is the very definition of great coaching.

Reaction Score
That might go down as worst take ever on the baseball board. Saying Omaha or bust for a NE program where all chips are stacked against you is ludicrous. This turned out to be a heck of a year and they advanced to a super with a team that quite frankly overachieved. That is the very definition of great coaching.
That's an excuse. Eugene oregon has worse weather than ct, and they have cws success

Reaction Score

The choice of adjectives is silly, but your statement is not 100% wrong.

Now ask yourself this? Over the last 15 years, what program or programs in New England, the Northeast and the Rust Belt have been consistently as good as us? And if you answer that question correctly, ask yourself whether it is rational to conclude that that is because no programs in those regions know how to hire the right coach, or whether there might be a structural disadvantage due to the combination of college baseball fanbase, weather and NCAA rules that make it impossible to compete with warm weather teams year after year.

For everyone but you, the foregoing was a hypothetical argument with a serious poster. Obviously this was a troll, but the point remains that if a coach is accomplishing more than you should be expecting to accomplish given the reality of the situation, changing coaches is not going to change the underlying reality. Urban Meyer was not a sucky coach when he was at Miami of Ohio because he wasn't competing for major bowl bids. There is only so much coaches can accomplish on certain platforms.

Reaction Score
That's an excuse. Eugene oregon has worse weather than ct, and they have cws success
Not only was your original post ridiculous, this post is inaccurate.

Oregon has been to one CWS, 3 Super Regionals with a total of 11 tournament appearances.

UConn has been to 5 CWS, 3 Super Regionals with a total of 25 tournament appearances.

Also in 2010, UConn and Oregon were in the same regional with UConn winning it.

So your argument about Oregon vs UConn is also wrong.

I really hoping you were trolling, because if you are serious it would be very sad

If you follow this board, you will find that I am almost never critical of other posters. But I had to respond to your absurd take.

Reaction Score
I think Oregon beat UConn in that regional held at Dodd Stadium. Twice as a matter of fact. Nonetheless I agree with the rest of your argument.

Yes, UConn made the Super Regionals the following year in 2011.

Reaction Score
Not only was your original post ridiculous, this post is inaccurate.

Oregon has been to one CWS, 3 Super Regionals with a total of 11 tournament appearances.

UConn has been to 5 CWS, 3 Super Regionals with a total of 25 tournament appearances.

Also in 2010, UConn and Oregon were in the same regional with UConn winning it.

So your argument about Oregon vs UConn is also wrong.

I really hoping you were trolling, because if you are serious it would be very sad

If you follow this board, you will find that I am almost never critical of other posters. But I had to respond to your absurd take.
Now do oregon st, I confused the two, but the idea is the same. Oregon st doesn't even have good academics

Reaction Score
Now do oregon st, I confused the two, but the idea is the same. Oregon st doesn't even have good academics
Resources are not the same. OSU has budgeted $1MM+ per season for head coaches in the past, which is like triple what Penders gets. This is actually a good case study though because it will be interesting to see what happens to OSU the next few years as they seem to be currently left out of the power conference shuffle and those resources may dry up some as a result.

Ironically, if Penders were suddenly fired or unavailable as Uconns head coach, the best candidate available would probably be coach Mac.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score

That’s an advantage for them. Schools with extremely high academics are at a disadvantage recruiting wise. Vanderbilt and the Wayne Graham led Rice Owls are the two notable exceptions (and hey, look at what happened to Rice when they inexplicably forced Graham into an early retirement!!)

Reaction Score
Just opening this thread for the first time in a few days and oh boy, what a doozy that take was...

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

Reaction Score
Objectively, UConn is a top 30ish program with a top 60ish budget (not accounting for NIL) if you look at yearly RPi. Bump them higher if you look at Super appearances recently. That’s pretty great even not factoring in weather, the conference, etc.

Factoring in NIL, there is the SEC and everyone else. SEC baseball dominance is making their football dominance look cute by comparison. It is an absolute parallel minus the B10 being competitive in the sport. The good ACC teams are working their tails off to compete, including finding NIL. B12 will take a hit with UT & OU gone.
One name on who SEC teams can buy with their multimillion dollar NIL budgets: Paul Skenes.
UConn Baseball is downright killing it in this environment.

Reaction Score
Objectively, UConn is a top 30ish program with a top 60ish budget (not accounting for NIL) if you look at yearly RPi. Bump them higher if you look at Super appearances recently. That’s pretty great even not factoring in weather, the conference, etc.

Factoring in NIL, there is the SEC and everyone else. SEC baseball dominance is making their football dominance look cute by comparison. It is an absolute parallel minus the B10 being competitive in the sport. The good ACC teams are working their tails off to compete, including finding NIL. B12 will take a hit with UT & OU gone.
One name on who SEC teams can buy with their multimillion dollar NIL budgets: Paul Skenes.
UConn Baseball is downright killing it in this environment.
I agree. What they do up here in the Northeast is incredible. Getting closer and closer. Just a matter of time before they get there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom