Men - UConn Baseball 2024 | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Baseball 2024

Reaction Score

You would think any player eligible for the upcoming MLB draft who is named to the all regional team would have a decent chance of getting picked in the draft.

Broadhurst and Tammaro were both grad transfers who spent 2 seasons with UConn baseball. That makes them both a bit older than the juniors and seniors who usually go in the draft, and I would think that age difference would make it less likely to get picked in the draft. Still, they were among the top players with UConn this season, so we will see what happens with them, hopefully they will get picked.

Reaction Score
With the limited rounds, I’m not sure it will happen for any UConn players. Cooke and Afthim were on some Top 500 lists, but that was it.

Reaction Score
I think Morton is a perfect example of this. Not saying he won’t get drafted because I don’t really know. He could look bad for long stretches, but catch fire and give you highlight reel play. A great college player.

Reaction Score
Back to the Greenville Drive. High A Red Sox

Half the team is Hispano.
You can be a great college player and not get drafted these days
Back to my Greenville Drive. High A Red Sox

Half the team is Hispano. Including the coach. All the starters except the pitcher was Hispano .

Makes it hard for a college kid.

Reaction Score
Back to the Greenville Drive. High A Red Sox

Half the team is Hispano.

Back to my Greenville Drive. High A Red Sox

Half the team is Hispano. Including the coach. All the starters except the pitcher was Hispano .

Makes it hard for a college kid.
We’re

Reaction Score
With the limited rounds, I’m not sure it will happen for any UConn players. Cooke and Afthim were on some Top 500 lists, but that was it.

Yeah, I've been thinking all season that there were several UConn players who might get picked in the MLB draft. Still, it would not be a big surprise to me if no UConn players get drafted, I've been pretty much been thinking this all season. While UConn has talented players, it would have helped if they were more consistently good during the season. As always, we'll see what happens.

Reaction Score
If things hold serve, next year without the newcomers the team would look like this.
C Garbowski and Hyde
1st. Dalena
2nd Daniels
SS Padilla
3B Minnick
LF. Open
Cf Shpur
Rf Kron
Friday night. Cooke
Weekend Quinn and Schild
Midweek. Abedessa
Closer. Afthim
Ellison, Alejandro, Carella.

Thoughts or changes?

I'm going to wait until at least after the draft to possibly outline a proposed lineup for next season.

However, I do think with Dalena, Daniels, Padilla, and Minick, the UConn infield looks pretty solid, and to me it looks like the main strength of the team for next season. That is assuming of course that this group all is at UConn next season. Of course, it is possible that newcomers (freshmen and transfers) to the team will provide a challenge to potentially be a regular in the infield.

Reaction Score
I'm going to wait until at least after the draft to possibly outline a proposed lineup for next season.

However, I do think with Dalena, Daniels, Padilla, and Minick, the UConn infield looks pretty solid, and to me it looks like the main strength of the team for next season. That is assuming of course that this group all is at UConn next season. Of course, it is possible that newcomers (freshmen and transfers) to the team will provide a challenge to potentially be a regular in the infield.
100%
The outfield needs work. Obviously need a Stock, Morton, Dana, 2023 Studley of sorts. That is not on the current roster as far as I know.

Reaction Score

Assisted access <<

-> “It’s very raw, the worst day of the year when you have to say goodbye to your team,” coach Jim Penders said, after team arrived back on campus. “You smile through your tears, make sure everybody knows how you feel about ’em. We’ve had several more talented teams than this one, but I don’t think we’ve ever had a team that fought harder, or better, or with more class than this team did.” <-

-> He has hit upon a way to do it. UConn, which dug out of a 9-15 hole to start this past season, had nine transfers from Division III schools and, some in the game are beginning to theorize, this is the way of the future. High school players looking to play D-I might start out at a lower level.

“I looked at Florida State’s roster and they had a ton of sophomores and freshmen,” Penders said. “They’re doing it the traditional way because they can. What we have to do, we’re going to have fewer and fewer high school kids we’re going to be interested in. I don’t want to recruit anybody I’ll have to cut. It’ll be a lot safer bet if those high school kids go to Division III, Division II or mid-level Division I and then figure out they want to get to the national level of Division I, where we hope to remain.” <-

-> Having seen UConn knock on the door to Omaha so many times, it’s clear what is needed to reach the next level. Isn’t it always? Pitching. The double-elimination regional takes depth of good pitching, one or two first-round caliber aces are needed to win the three-game Super Regional. The Road to Omaha is hard, it’s supposed to be hard. To channelA League of Their Own’s Jimmy Dugan, “it’s the hard that makes it great.” <-

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
First name listed in the article is Jim Penders. My Opinion: I highly doubt Penders would leave for Ohio State.
-> Jim Penders, Connecticut - Landing a big fish like Jim Penders will not be easy for Ohio State athletic director Ross Bjork. Still, with some of the uncertainty surrounding non-power conferences, Penders is someone that I would take a very hard look at. A UConn lifer, Penders has been incredibly consistent during his coaching career with the Huskies. Penders guided the Huskies to the Super Regional round against Florida State this past season and has led the program to three Supers plus 10 overall NCAA tournament appearances. Penders would be an outstanding hire for the Buckeyes. <-

Last extension: Jim Penders Signs New Five-Year Contact - University of Connecticut Athletics

Reaction Score
If they were serious about baseball, they should fill up the Brinks truck for him. They won’t, because they’re not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom