Men - UConn Baseball @ 2023 NCAA Tournament’s Gainesville Regional (6/2>6/5). Elimination Sunday 6/4/23 v. Florida Gators @Noon on SEC Network | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Baseball @ 2023 NCAA Tournament’s Gainesville Regional (6/2>6/5). Elimination Sunday 6/4/23 v. Florida Gators @Noon on SEC Network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Quick thoughts :
1) more UConn fans here today. It’s deceptive a lot of people sitting under the overhang to avoid the sun. Good to hear the fans.
2) good win Penders gamble paid off and they grinded with small ball and a bomb from Huber
3) 5-3 UConn started to take control of the game but the Submariner held UConn in check for a bit and he turned the game around, A&M got the momentum. At 5-5 it didn’t feel good.
4) Kirby then turned that back around in UConn’s favor until uconn took control with yet another clutch HR from Huber. mammoth blast.
5) Freeburger plays one heck of a third place. High degree of difficulty plays he is making. giving a clinic this weekend on how to play 3B at any level.
6) had to bring in Willis to close it out. Cant mess around and without a today there is no tomorrow. Must be done.
7) let’s hope the bats have woken up. Other than some weak ABs against the submariner (dont see those guys a lot) the ABs were higher quality.
8) small sample size but tammaro seems to play a nice SS and even made a sensational play. Seems like it’s Tammaro from here on out unless they face a tough lefty and they want to sit Daniels and put Bry back at SS and Paulie at 2B. Daniels struggling a bit with the stick but found a way to mfg a run with the walk and steal. And he plays a nice 2B.
9) still alive and Coe is fresh. on to Sunday

Reaction Score
Is Cooke healthy?
No. I believe dbmill said tricep and he’s wearing a blue jersey.

Chris Jones said at the beginning of the game broadcast that Cooke was not available to pitch this weekend, and I posted that. I don't know what the injury was in this case, I definitely did not post anything about a tricep.

Reaction Score
Cooke is a bicep according to ESPN + commentary.
Coe and all hands on deck tomorrow and here on out. Losing 2 of 3 starting pitchers is tough for the deepest staffs to absorb.
Thought i read something cep thanks for clarifying apologies to dbmill

Reaction Score
Cooke is a bicep according to ESPN + commentary.
Coe and all hands on deck tomorrow and here on out. Losing 2 of 3 starting pitchers is tough for the deepest staffs to absorb.
I’d rather mono-ridden Sears than a back-ender with a 1:1 BB:K rate. But mono is no joke so I’m mostly joking. Wish we had more arms! Proud of the guys for getting a win today, regardless. Auburn and Ok State both went two and BBQ, while we’re still alive, including a one run loss to a juggernaut three seed.

Reaction Score
I’d rather mono-ridden Sears than a back-ender with a 1:1 BB:K rate. But mono is no joke so I’m mostly joking. Wish we had more arms! Proud of the guys for getting a win today, regardless. Auburn and Ok State both went two and BBQ, while we’re still alive, including a one run loss to a juggernaut three seed.
We have plenty of pitching to win the noon game tomorrow with Coe and Afthim getting the ball to Willis in the 9th. Beyond that, it’s going to take a heck of a lot of runs. But let’s get the noon game and make the final, and then you see what happens.

Reaction Score
We have plenty of pitching to win the noon game tomorrow with Coe and Afthim getting the ball to Willis in the 9th. Beyond that, it’s going to take a heck of a lot of runs. But let’s get the noon game and make the final, and then you see what happens.
Bizlawyer - I’m in no way putting the cart in front of the horse but do you see a reasonable path to getting 27IP out of this staff? If you had to itemize it can you? First things first tomorrow at noon but just wondering as you always tinker with this stuff

Reaction Score
You baseball guys would know better, but is there a hitters adjustment playing in an unfamiliar ballpark? Does it take time to get the depth perception down to instinct?

Reaction Score
Bizlawyer - I’m in no way putting the cart in front of the horse but do you see a reasonable path to getting 27IP out of this staff? If you had to itemize it can you? First things first tomorrow at noon but just wondering as you always tinker with this stuff
Probably something like this for me. Afthim for 3 might be pushing it, so maybe some more from Coe. It's gonna take some good performances from seldom used guys

Sunday
Coe 5 IP
Afthim 3 IP
Willis 1 IP

Sullivan 4 IP
Nowak 2 IP
3 IPs from these guys, pull them at the first sign of trouble
Carrea > Abbadessa > M Quigley

Monday
Ellisen - 3 IP
Fogell - 3 IP
Quinn - 1 IP
Willis - 2 IP

Reaction Score
The short answer is no. If they need 27 innings they will get 27 innings, but it’s going to require Penders to leave guys like Ellison and Correa (not necessarily them but other lesser used pitchers) longer leashes than he gave them today. But let’s try it game by game, and assume all 3 games are close where we can’t let a second tier pitcher go a few innings even if they get pushed around.

Game 1 tomorrow: we’re fine. Coe for 6, Afthim for 2, Willis to finish. No excuses at noon.

Game 2 tomorrow: this is the big issue, because some arms who pitched yesterday or today will be able to throw again on Monday night. I’m almost certain Sullivan will start, but Penders is going to have to let him go 4 or 5 innings even if he’s struggling. We will need a lot of runs. Let’s say he goes 4. Novak for 2 gets you to six. Then, say, 1 inning each from Quinn, Correa and Abbadessa.

Monday night: If somehow we get to here, I expect Quigley, Fogell , Ellison and rubber armed Kirby to be back, although limited. So let’s say Ellison and Quigley get you 2 each. And then, coming from the back end, Willis has the 9th, Afthim the 8th, Fogell the 6th and 7th and Kirby the 5th. Something like that. Obviously, innings that anyone can go depends on pitch count as well. While everyone will be tired, you can do it with first tier pitching. Which means it’s the second game tomorrow that may take a dozen runs or more.

The good news is that Texas Tech beat Florida, so we only have to deal with the better team once, and with a staff that can get it done. And then the bats and the staff are going to have to get us through the Red Raiders.

Reaction Score
The short answer is no. If they need 27 innings they will get 27 innings, but it’s going to require Penders to leave guys like Ellison and Correa (not necessarily them but other lesser used pitchers) longer leashes than he gave them today. But let’s try it game by game, and assume all 3 games are close where we can’t let a second tier pitcher go a few innings even if they get pushed around.

Game 1 tomorrow: we’re fine. Coe for 6, Afthim for 2, Willis to finish. No excuses at noon.

Game 2 tomorrow: this is the big issue, because some arms who pitched yesterday or today will be able to throw again on Monday night. I’m almost certain Sullivan will start, but Penders is going to have to let him go 4 or 5 innings even if he’s struggling. We will need a lot of runs. Let’s say he goes 4. Novak for 2 gets you to six. Then, say, 1 inning each from Quinn, Correa and Abbadessa.

Monday night: If somehow we get to here, I expect Quigley, Fogell , Ellison and rubber armed Kirby to be back, although limited. So let’s say Ellison and Quigley get you 2 each. And then, coming from the back end, Willis has the 9th, Afthim the 8th, Fogell the 6th and 7th and Kirby the 5th. Something like that. Obviously, innings that anyone can go depends on pitch count as well. While everyone will be tired, you can do it with first tier pitching. Which means it’s the second game tomorrow that may take a dozen runs or more.

The good news is that Texas Tech beat Florida, so we only have to deal with the better team once, and with a staff that can get it done. And then the bats and the staff are going to have to get us through the Red Raiders.
Thanks for putting that together

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer