UConn Baseball 2019 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball 2019

Reaction Score
Is there anyone on the list even remotely near us geographically? Michigan...North Carolina. Amazing.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Is there anyone on the list even remotely near us geographically? Michigan...North Carolina. Amazing.

Nope! St. John's might sneak into some other preseason polls though.

Reaction Score

Mason Feole on 3rd team AA

UConn is going to need plenty of Friday night wins from Feole this season, as Kersten needs to show that he can be effective against quality lineups and Dunlop with all his potential just needs to develop into a consistent starter just as Wills Montgomerie did before him. Until that time, UConn really needs to pick up Friday night wins.

I'm getting hungry for UConn baseball news, rumors and discussions, Chris Jones interviews with the coaching staff concerning the makeup of this seasons team, and the odd posting of a team roster on the UConn website. With the spring semester starting at UConn tomorrow and baseball practices quickly to follow, I'm sure we'll be getting more of this stuff fairly quickly.

Reaction Score
From D1Baseball.com, and their teams to watch outside their preseason Top 25:

Top 25 Rankings: Dozen To Watch | D1Baseball

>Connecticut
Jim Penders and his coaching staff have done an incredible job during their tenure, and this team should be in the national discussion yet again. The Huskies have a strong No. 1 starter in lefty Mason Feole, while righty Jeff Kersten is a workhorse in the No. 2 spot. The closer role also is in good shape with Jacob Wallace, who was up into the mid-90s this past summer and fall. The Huskies have something to prove offensively, but have a good foundation with hard-nosed Anthony Prato and John Toppa back this season. UConn is right there with Houston as the No. 2 team in the American, behind East Carolina of course.<

Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see what if any freshman step up as far as pitchers are concerned. Would have to think 2-3 are gonna get an opportunity to see either work out of pen or mid week work as spot starters.

Also will be interesting to see who does and doesn’t make spring roster. There were a lot of guys on the fall team. Will be some interesting cuts coming up.

Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see what if any freshman step up as far as pitchers are concerned. Would have to think 2-3 are gonna get an opportunity to see either work out of pen or mid week work as spot starters.

Also will be interesting to see who does and doesn’t make spring roster. There were a lot of guys on the fall team. Will be some interesting cuts coming up.

I concur. Another possible candidate for getting a midweek starter chance is Joe Simeone. Assuming the plan to move Chase Gardner to the bullpen sticks, the Huskies would need either Simeone or a freshman pitcher for possible starts in the midweek. This gets even more important if Kersten or Dunlop wash out as weekend starters.

One interesting thing concerning the pitching staff is that the pitchers who figure to be relied upon most are for the most part either seniors or juniors who very well could be drafted. Juniors figuring to be drafted are Feole and Wallace, one heading the starting rotation and the other being the main cog in the back of the bullpen. Senior Kersten is right now considered the Saturday starter. Seniors Dandeneau and Gardner currently figure to see a lot of key innings out of bullpen. In addition to these guys, it would surprise me if senior Avery Santos gets a good look in relief as well. If this all happens, six out of the seven top pitchers (Dunlop would be the other) would likely not be on the team in 2020 due to graduation or getting drafted. All of which makes it doubly important that some of the other young pitchers on the team have a good showing this season, not only to give some depth to the pitching staff, but to have a hope of having a serviceable Husky pitching staff for the 2020 season.

No question the upcoming roster cuts are going to be interesting.

Reaction Score
I concur. Another possible candidate for getting a midweek starter chance is Joe Simeone. Assuming the plan to move Chase Gardner to the bullpen sticks, the Huskies would need either Simeone or a freshman pitcher for possible starts in the midweek. This gets even more important if Kersten or Dunlop wash out as weekend starters.

One interesting thing concerning the pitching staff is that the pitchers who figure to be relied upon most are for the most part either seniors or juniors who very well could be drafted. Juniors figuring to be drafted are Feole and Wallace, one heading the starting rotation and the other being the main cog in the back of the bullpen. Senior Kersten is right now considered the Saturday starter. Seniors Dandeneau and Gardner currently figure to see a lot of key innings out of bullpen. In addition to these guys, it would surprise me if senior Avery Santos gets a good look in relief as well. If this all happens, six out of the seven top pitchers (Dunlop would be the other) would likely not be on the team in 2020 due to graduation or getting drafted. All of which makes it doubly important that some of the other young pitchers on the team have a good showing this season, not only to give some depth to the pitching staff, but to have a hope of having a serviceable Husky pitching staff for the 2020 season.

No question the upcoming roster cuts are going to be interesting.

Aside from the pitchers mentioned above, there are two other non freshman and redshirt freshmen currently on the roster. Junior Randy Polonia hasn't pitched the last two seasons due to injuries, and I don't recall him getting mentioned as getting any mound time during any of the fall ball games, so who knows if he is ready to pitch. As a freshman he showed an impressive slider along with lots of control issues. The other non freshmen pitcher is California JUCO Ken Haus, who I would think would be an early season candidate to get some time in middle relief.

Reaction Score
Patiently awaiting the positional preview videos from the coaching staff

Those Chris Jones interviews with the coaches are absolutely priceless for the UConn baseball fan. Lots of info on the team comes out in them. These interviews and the posting of the spring roster are the two things I most look forward to at this time of year.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
There is a pretty sizeable UConn contingent on that board.

Loving the hype Feole is getting. Let's hope Dunlop is next in line.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom