SS Prato
LF Toppa
1b Winkel
Dan Hurley langer or Phillips
C p winkel
2b c fedko
RF chiovitii
3b TBD

That is certainly a lineup I could see to start the season—assuming everyone is healthy. There is a lot of speed and athleticism on team. Pitching will be more trial and error as it sounds like there will be opportunities for the newbies to step in and contribute right away. I do think they have seen enough from Dunlop that a weekend role will be his to lose. Like the Gardner move since stamina was clearly an issue last year and the loss of Poulin is gonna hurt. Penders would have a lefty option with Gardner and righty option with Dandeneau to bridge to Wallace.

Dan Hurley strikes again on the baseball board!

That would be a reasonable guess for the lineup. From the D1Baseball article and from what we saw during the fall ball games, it sounds like Phillips and his bat will often be in the lineup. D1Baseball suggests he will get time at D.H. and corner infield spots (he did get time during fall ball at 3B. I'm inclined to think he will be the primary D.H. It would seem that 3B is the most unsettled spot in the lineup, although it wouldn't surprise me if Moriarty at least gets time there as a late inning defensive replacement. I'm also curious to see how Christian Fedko works out defensively at 2B, considering he was often lifted for late game defense last season. Of course, Woodworth was a terrific defender at 2B, so that may have played into those defensive replacement decisions last season as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When you put in letters D and H together the board auto updates that to Dan Hurley. I was like how the hell did I goof that one up.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
If C-mo can bat .240ish with some doubles power, I am all for him getting the starting gig at 3B for now. If not, I wonder if Kyler Fedko or Will Lucas will be ready to roll.

Reaction Score
If C-mo can bat .240ish with some doubles power, I am all for him getting the starting gig at 3B for now. If not, I wonder if Kyler Fedko or Will Lucas will be ready to roll.

I agree, if Moriarty hits .250, then his on base percentage is probably over .350 if last season is any guide. With some power (a nice collection of doubles plus a few home runs sprinkled in), speed, and his defensive ability, that would be nice contribution to the lineup. However, I don't think he has hit over .230 yet during the regular college season or during summer ball, so you can't exactly count on it. I'm thinking Moriarty is more the fall back position at 3B in case Kyler Fedko or Will Lucas don't pass the coming audition for the position. And as mentioned before, there is the possibility that Thad Phillips could see some time there as well.

Reaction Score

Informative 45 minute interview with Jim Penders.

Most interesting tidbit concerns Christian Fedko, who was all set to play summer ball in the Northwoods League before the coaches suggested to him prior to the end of the season that he might be better off spending the summer in Storrs and working on conditioning, toning his body, and working on his game. Fedko agreed to this immediately, and apparently the work was showing dividends during fall ball. According to Penders, due to the work that he put in over the summer, Fedko's infield defense is vastly improved. Sounds like there won't be a need to have a defensive replacement for him this season at 2B.

Also, a nice bit on John Toppa. After not getting picked in the mlb draft, Toppa decided to forgo summer ball so he could rework his swing so he could hit with more power than he has in the past. Reworking his swing became his summer project, so much so that he declined several invites to play in the Cape League so that he would not have to interrupt that work.

Also, the last five minutes or so of the interview is about the new baseball facility. Among other things, apparently the bullpen is going to be named after Matt Barnes.

Reaction Score
Vincentian's Christian and Kyler Fedko reunite with UConn baseball

Sorry I didn't read this story sooner. I love some of the quotes, including this one...

1545075328102.png

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Off topic, but I finally found a national college baseball forum (it is based on Reddit but oh well).

r/collegebaseball

There is actually a little bit of a UConn presence already so I suspect at least one of you is already over there.

Reaction Score

While UConn baseball may not be in contention for an NCAA regional host seed come the tournament, I do think that if everything shakes out as expected that UConn is a strong contender to get another NCAA tournament bid. This would confirm such thinking. By the way, at 32 UConn is the highest ranking AAC team in this poll.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
By the way, at 32 UConn is the highest ranking AAC team in this poll.
That is a disappointment. Hopefully UL, Charleston and Coastal can help the SOS.

Reaction Score
That is a disappointment. Hopefully UL, Charleston and Coastal can help the SOS.

I wouldn't be too worried about the AAC and strength of schedule. East Carolina came in at No. 35, and five other AAC teams were in the receiving votes section. That's out of nine teams. A team that goes on a winning streak in the AAC is going to have plenty of chances to get ranked. It is hardly a weak conference in baseball. Also, UConn is playing a number of out of conference teams in the poll that either were ranked or received votes, so the Huskies are hardly playing a weak schedule.

One other thing about collegiate baseball polls. From what I've seen in the past, they can be pretty disparate from each other. A team can be fairly well ranked in one, while another poll will not have heard of them at all.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For last season...Warren Nolan ranked the AAC as #4 in RPI...behind the SEC, Big 12, and ACC.

Ahead of the Big Ten (not surprising) and Pac 12.

Reaction Score

Informative 45 minute interview with Jim Penders.

Most interesting tidbit concerns Christian Fedko, who was all set to play summer ball in the Northwoods League before the coaches suggested to him prior to the end of the season that he might be better off spending the summer in Storrs and working on conditioning, toning his body, and working on his game. Fedko agreed to this immediately, and apparently the work was showing dividends during fall ball. According to Penders, due to the work that he put in over the summer, Fedko's infield defense is vastly improved. Sounds like there won't be a need to have a defensive replacement for him this season at 2B.

Also, a nice bit on John Toppa. After not getting picked in the mlb draft, Toppa decided to forgo summer ball so he could rework his swing so he could hit with more power than he has in the past. Reworking his swing became his summer project, so much so that he declined several invites to play in the Cape League so that he would not have to interrupt that work.

Also, the last five minutes or so of the interview is about the new baseball facility. Among other things, apparently the bullpen is going to be named after Matt Barnes.

Matt Barnes Bullpen? Nice...Now to have George Springer name somewhere...

Reaction Score
UConn punching in @ #3 behind ECU and Houston:

In looking at the AAC preseason poll, there appear to be three tiers of AAC baseball teams this coming season. The top tier teams are East Carolina, Houston, and UConn. Each of them received all the first place votes in the conference, and in the end only 8 poll points separate the three teams. The next four teams (UCF, USF, Tulane, and Wichita State are separated by 21 poll points from each other, but it would seem that UCF is clearly on top in this tier, 9 points ahead of USF. Cincinnati and Memphis seem to lag badly to the rest of the conference. Whatever the case, I expect the weekend conference games to be the usual grind that we seem to experience every season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom