UConn Athletics TV Survey | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn Athletics TV Survey

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
This is the misperception. For example, games on ESPN3, which is an over the top network are readily available on my TV and included in my cable providers guide. It is as easy as watching the main ESPN channel. ESPN+ is not available on my cable providers guide YET, but I’m sure it will be as as 30+ streaming channels are one click away right now on my TV.

It's no misperception, it's the current reality. The overwhelming majority of sports bars nationwide have either regular old cable or directv. ESPN3 is therefore unavailable, so in the rare instances when our games were solely on there, you couldn't watch them at a sports bar. Sure you could watch at home on a computer if you have access to ESPN3.

Now the games that go to ESPN+ will be unavailable to all unless you pony up the $5 per month. The point Suzie was making about access is correct.

There should have been another question on the survey: even if you were willing to subscribe to ESPN+ and pay the extra $5 per month, would you do it for 12 months, or only from Sept. to March (7 months) for UCONN programming only?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Disney announced the launch of Disney+ this week. Anybody who thinks ESPN+ isn't important to them is not thinking clearly.

I took the survey. I answered yes to the last question. As I said in the other threads, if UConn fans are unwilling to spend a small amount on ESPN+ to see games (including a lot of content that was not televised before) then we prove we are small time and don't belong in a P5 conference. Nothing would be better for UConn's chances of getting into a better conference than a huge spike of ESPN+ subscriptions from UConn fans.

Maybe, but I think a fair number of the fanbase are going to reject the idea of helping a network that's been instrumental in screwing UCONN over the years. They are going to vote against this move by not subscribing and not helping the same folks that screwed us over make another pile of cash, just so we can watch UCONN play ECU, Tulsa and Tulane. It will be a matter of principle for some. If that makes us small time as a fanbase then so be it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Question: How will ESPN+ work for trying to watch a game at a bar or say Buffalo Wild Wings? Will we just expect that they won't be showing those?

This is the issue Susan raised. I think it's a temporary situation. I expect that BWW will have ESPN+ access very soon if not now. Smaller sports bars are the bigger question. Eventually they will all have it. It's a great platform for them really.

We aren't alone in this. It is coming for more and more programs.
Big 12, ESPN+ agree to deal: Some KU, K-State games will be streaming only

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The fact is that today, I find enough value in ESPN+ to go to the trouble of borrowing my brother's password. I need more cricket, though.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I think this is wishful thinking if you think this is what the UConn AD is doing. If this is their plan then are they also going to send snail mail voting punch cards to the older demographic? Because your argument about all these WBB fans not being able to stream ESPN+ kind of falls apart if you use only an email survey to collect the data. If people can figure out email, they can figure out how to stream.

There's a huge difference between an e-mail survey (I think we can all agree that the older folks have email, how else would they complain about their Facebook memes) and figuring out a streaming service.

Setting up a Roku or Chromecast is easy for me, someone who grew up with the evolution of internet technology. You think grandma is gonna be able to figure out how to connect her Apple TV to her WiFi network? How to sync up her Chromecast with her app?

SOME will. Most won't. They'll yell about having their grandkids help them out with it, but the problem is their kids don't talk to them anymore because of their latest political post on Facebook.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There's a huge difference between an e-mail survey (I think we can all agree that the older folks have email, how else would they complain about their Facebook memes) and figuring out a streaming service.

Setting up a Roku or Chromecast is easy for me, someone who grew up with the evolution of internet technology. You think grandma is gonna be able to figure out how to connect her Apple TV to her WiFi network? How to sync up her Chromecast with her app?

SOME will. Most won't. They'll yell about having their grandkids help them out with it, but the problem is their kids don't talk to them anymore because of their latest political post on Facebook.

It’s a barrier. I have mlb.tv - but sometimes I just watch the Yankees/Red Sox/Mets because it’s easier.

You have to actively go find ESPN+. The process of watching ESPN linear is much more passive.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

My 80 year old father has Apple TV, ROKU and uses the apps on his smart TV without any issue. I already talked to him about ESPN+ and he said he'll be signing up for it. He won't need any help.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It’s a barrier. I have mlb.tv - but sometimes I just watch the Yankees/Red Sox/Mets because it’s easier.

You have to actively go find ESPN+. The process of watching ESPN linear is much more passive.

I have MLB.TV and the navigation is kind of a pain in the ass. Also, the streams for me at least take 20 seconds sometimes to come in a top quality HD. So for me it's much easier to watch YES/SNY on even Youtube TV than a separate application all together.

(btw best freebie of all time is free MLB.TV with T-Mobile service)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I have MLB.TV and the navigation is kind of a pain in the ass. Also, the streams for me at least take 20 seconds sometimes to come in a top quality HD. So for me it's much easier to watch YES/SNY on even Youtube TV than a separate application all together.

(btw best freebie of all time is free MLB.TV with T-Mobile service)

plus my phone feeds me score updates before the stream.

Reaction Score
plus my phone feeds me score updates before the stream.

I hate that. The only reason I get the scores and on screen play by play on my phone during a stream is so I can mess with my wife and kids by doing my best Romo impression, pointing out the way the play will develop and then calling for a run, pass or whatever and a touchdown. It’s hilarious. They buy it every time.

Reaction Score
Who's to say that ESPN+ stays at $5 by the time UConn events start broadcasting on the platform? No way it stays at $5.
Yeah, but I'm tapped out. I have netflix, amazon prime and hulu. The hulu i got on Black Friday for 99 cents a month, the prime I've had since before video and i have psvue.

Anything on espn+ you can find a free stream for. If this money went to paying uconn more sure, but its not, so espn gets no more $ out of me shaft UConn.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
What boils me is it's espn
The same home grown conglomerate that has turned it's back on UConn for so many years
I hate being held hostage (as the saying goes) in situations like these
Of course, if I have to, being a lifelong UConn diehard, will pay the price to see the games but that's on top of my season tickets, the obligatory annual "donation" for such privilege............
I despise ESPN as much as the NCAA

Reaction Score
I’m projecting some intellgence on the athletic department with these assumptions:

1. UConn’s desire is to have the women’s games on SNY
2. ESPNs desire is to grow ESPN+ off UConn women’s basketball

UConn is going to use the data from this survey to show ESPN that their core fanbase can’t be monetized through ESPN+ yet. They want to grease the skids for SNY to pay a reasonable amount to keep the rights in SNY’s cable footprint and trade the national feed going behind the paywall.

SNY is in a terrible spot because SNY will be dropped by cable in at least four counties immediately without UConn.

UConn is looking for data that convinces ESPN to sell local rights to SNY at a price that SNY can afford by proving the fanbase isn’t sophisticated enough for ESPN+ to realize the full value of what they bought if they immediatly stick it behind a paywall.

If you want to convince ESPN our fanbase isn't sophisticated, just make them read a 35 page basketball recruiting thread.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but I'm tapped out. I have netflix, amazon prime and hulu. The hulu i got on Black Friday for 99 cents a month, the prime I've had since before video and i have psvue.

Anything on espn+ you can find a free stream for. If this money went to paying uconn more sure, but its not, so espn gets no more $ out of me shaft UConn.

There are streams for everything. Are there HD streams for everything? I used to stream but the quality sucked for half the games so I bought YoutubeTV.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom