UConn Athletics TV Survey | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn Athletics TV Survey

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes, the Sox ( and Yankees with YES) made a killing moving to cable. I was referring to exposure and ability to watch games.

I find it hard to believe that UConn women’s basketball fans won’t pay $60 per year to watch 12 to 15 games per year plus a coaches show. $60 is about the cost for 2 people to go to one game.

I don’t know what women’s basketball fans you spend time with. The ones I spend time with would have a better shot to program a VCR than comprehend ESPN+.

Reaction Score
The big issue here is that a massive part of our fan base is over 60. They may not opt to even try to figure out ESPN+. Frankly, I think some of them will literally just move on to other things.

As for the younger fans, I’m in my 40’s and I was/am a huge fan. I still care deeply about the programs, but I miss a TON of games now. I just don’t care about the matchups. It may make me less of a fan, but it’s just the way it is. I’m not excited anymore. I really don’t think I’ll buy ESPN+ until something exciting compels me. I just have too much apathy at this point.

This is a tough time to sell UConn fans anything. We are just demoralized in so many ways. Paying for the privilege while I already have 20 other sports channels on my TV doesn’t make sense. If we are worth watching, we’ll be on the ESPN cable channels.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Why wasn’t the survey done before they inked the deal? After the fact is completely pointless.

I’m projecting some intellgence on the athletic department with these assumptions:

1. UConn’s desire is to have the women’s games on SNY
2. ESPNs desire is to grow ESPN+ off UConn women’s basketball

UConn is going to use the data from this survey to show ESPN that their core fanbase can’t be monetized through ESPN+ yet. They want to grease the skids for SNY to pay a reasonable amount to keep the rights in SNY’s cable footprint and trade the national feed going behind the paywall.

SNY is in a terrible spot because SNY will be dropped by cable in at least four counties immediately without UConn.

UConn is looking for data that convinces ESPN to sell local rights to SNY at a price that SNY can afford by proving the fanbase isn’t sophisticated enough for ESPN+ to realize the full value of what they bought if they immediatly stick it behind a paywall.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m projecting some intellgence on the athletic department with these assumptions:

UConn is going to use the data from this survey to show ESPN that their core fanbase can’t be monetized through ESPN+ yet. They want to grease the skids for SNY to pay a reasonable amount to keep the rights in SNY’s cable footprint and trade the national feed going behind the paywall.

SNY is in a terrible spot because SNY will be dropped by cable in at least four counties immediately without UConn.

UConn is looking for data that convinces ESPN to sell local rights to SNY at a price that SNY can afford by proving the fanbase isn’t sophisticated enough for ESPN to realize the full value of what they bought if they immediatly stick it behind a paywall.
You pay a lot more attention to this than I do, so genuine question. But I'm curious what counties you think would drop SNY. I always viewed SNY as more Mets focused than UConn focused so can't see a complete drop in most areas

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You pay a lot more attention to this than I do, so genuine question. But I'm curious what counties you think would drop SNY. I always viewed SNY as more Mets focused than UConn focused so can't see a complete drop in most areas

There are no Mets fans in Windham, Tolland or New London counties. They weren’t on before the UConn deal in those places they are dead without UConn.

Middlesex has almost no Mets fans. I live there - I assume there are some but I don’t know any.

Fairfield and New Haven are safe with Mets only.

Litchfield doesn’t much matter but I suspect enough NYers to keep SNY on without UConn.

I had SNY in Hartford county - but it’s a place where Cox and Comcast would take their chances.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I had SNY in Hartford county - but it’s a place where Cox and Comcast would take their chances.
IIRC, SNY came (back?) to Cox only after the UConn contract.

Reaction Score
There are no Mets fans in Windham, Tolland or New London counties. They weren’t on before the UConn deal in those places they are dead without UConn.

Middlesex has almost no Mets fans. I live there - I assume there are some but I don’t know any.

Fairfield and New Haven are safe with Mets only.

Litchfield doesn’t much matter but I suspect enough NYers to keep SNY on without UConn.

Yeah I'm really not a great judge for the general sense of CT in that I've only been there at UConn while they were on SNY and moved back to CT a month ago. So you're probably right

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah I'm really not a great judge for the general sense of CT in that I've only been there at UConn while they were on SNY and moved back to CT a month ago. So you're probably right

Most of it is captured here when it happened. Even where SNY was on they got additional carriage charges when the UConn deal was signed.

It’s a huge hit for SNY and give ESPN a TON of leverage in any potential deal.

That’s why I think UConn wants to convince the rights are worth less behind a paywall - convincing they they overpaid is SNY’s only negotiating tactic.

Reaction Score

UConn is looking for data that convinces ESPN to sell local rights to SNY at a price that SNY can afford by proving the fanbase isn’t sophisticated enough for ESPN+ to realize the full value of what they bought if they immediatly stick it behind a paywall.

Back to the question CTMike asked, I think it's now VERY clear that UConn leadership had zero involvement in the new deal.

For everyone who has spent the last few years pontificating about how valuable UConn is to the AAC, I think it's obvious that neither Aresco nor any of the other schools feels that way. While we complain about the schools we are "stuck with" they are complaining about being stuck with us also.

Reaction Score
I’m not so sure of that. I remember when the Red Sox moved to NESN and weren’t on free TV anymore. People were mad and said the Red Sox would be hurt. They weren’t.

Remember the concerns when the UConn women went from CPTV to SNY, a free channel to a pay channel? The UConn women thrived.

All of games will be available in NYC on ESPN+. People will find and watch the content.
So how about going to your favorite pub to watch? This deal both sucks and blows.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
So how about going to your favorite pub to watch? This deal both sucks and blows.

Even SuzieLAX picked up on this gut punch. We have alumni groups in cities nationwide. We get together for game watch parties. It's not going to be too cool having to huddle around somebody's cell phone to watch an ESPN+ game. I know, there will still be some games on cable, but it may not be that many for football unless we dramatically improve this coming season.

Reaction Score
I will happily pay $5/ mo fr UCONN. The only reasons I have cable is to watch UConn games. I’ll save $150/mo.

Reaction Score
Back to the question CTMike asked, I think it's now VERY clear that UConn leadership had zero involvement in the new deal.

For everyone who has spent the last few years pontificating about how valuable UConn is to the AAC, I think it's obvious that neither Aresco nor any of the other schools feels that way. While we complain about the schools we are "stuck with" they are complaining about being stuck with us also.

No they aren’t. They only complain when we complain. We’ve sucked lately and they get pissed that we crap all over them anyway.

Aresco knows we bring value and he needs to give it all to ESPN because otherwise, he is selling them Cincinnati, Houston Football and UCF football and nothing else. This conference is a steaming pile and the UConn Women are actually a major draw. Our leadership is asleep at the wheel. I literally want to lobby for them to hire Whaler11 to tell them what the hell to do. There is just no strength or savvy coming from our campus right now. We are pathetic.

Reaction Score

I think this is wishful thinking if you think this is what the UConn AD is doing. If this is their plan then are they also going to send snail mail voting punch cards to the older demographic? Because your argument about all these WBB fans not being able to stream ESPN+ kind of falls apart if you use only an email survey to collect the data. If people can figure out email, they can figure out how to stream.

Reaction Score
I currently pay $10/month for Comcast to add the premier sports channels to get cbssports, ESPNU and ESPNEWS. I cancel that between March and September. $5/month saves me money as long as that means I don’t have to get that premier package anymore.

Reaction Score
Even SuzieLAX picked up on this gut punch. We have alumni groups in cities nationwide. We get together for game watch parties. It's not going to be too cool having to huddle around somebody's cell phone to watch an ESPN+ game. I know, there will still be some games on cable, but it may not be that many for football unless we dramatically improve this coming season.
This is the misperception. For example, games on ESPN3, which is an over the top network are readily available on my TV and included in my cable providers guide. It is as easy as watching the main ESPN channel. ESPN+ is not available on my cable providers guide YET, but I’m sure it will be as as 30+ streaming channels are one click away right now on my TV.

Reaction Score
Sounds like we will just have to become a good team again so that our games are televised more often

Reaction Score
I will happily pay $5/ mo fr UCONN. The only reasons I have cable is to watch UConn games. I’ll save $150/mo.
People who keep stating this. You do realize you still have to have a package that includes the regular ESPN lineup as well right to watch every game? You might also need CBSSports as well if they sell the rights to some games.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I currently pay $10/month for Comcast to add the premier sports channels to get cbssports, ESPNU and ESPNEWS. I cancel that between March and September. $5/month saves me money as long as that means I don’t have to get that premier package anymore.

...but you will. You'll need News and U, if not CBSSN, to get all the games.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
People who keep stating this. You do realize you still have to have a package that includes the regular ESPN lineup as well right to watch every game? You might also need CBSSports as well if they sell the rights to some games.

Exactly. This wouldn't be a terrible issue *if* there were a one-fee/one-provider way to get ESPN networks AND ESPN+. There isn't. You need a provider of some type, as well as pay for the service.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Disney announced the launch of Disney+ this week. Anybody who thinks ESPN+ isn't important to them is not thinking clearly.

I took the survey. I answered yes to the last question. As I said in the other threads, if UConn fans are unwilling to spend a small amount on ESPN+ to see games (including a lot of content that was not televised before) then we prove we are small time and don't belong in a P5 conference. Nothing would be better for UConn's chances of getting into a better conference than a huge spike of ESPN+ subscriptions from UConn fans.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom