UConn Athletics TV Survey | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Athletics TV Survey

Reaction Score
Just got the email. I already have 3 Rokus w YouTube TV ( which just went from 35 to 50/month). Also have Netflix and prime, can watch espn3 if needed. Not sure I want to pay another $5/month but might be worth it if I could see all UConn hockey (will that be included) , baseball, soccer as well as M W Hoops and Football.
I am concerned about price increases after we get sucked into E+.

The world is definitely changing and not being P5 hurts more every year as we get lumped in with the rest of the non P5. We become invisible to all but our fan base.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I said no to paying plus. If it were a P5 I would.

Big 12 expands content agreement with ESPN

The Big 12 Conference has signed a deal to expand its rights agreements with ESPN, which will now broadcast every Big 12 football championship game through the 2024 season and create a Big 12 platform on ESPN+, the company's direct-to-consumer subscription sports-streaming service.

Reaction Score
I hope people re-read this thread in about 5 years. The cable bundle is in secular decline and down the road, I think the conference networks will become ala carte for most of us. Even now, most sports channels for me are in premium tiers. And the cost of the premium tiers go up all the time.

If you have a modern TV, internet channels are listed in your guide. I can watch internet games on SECN+, ACCNE, ESPN3, as I write this. Watching the games is easy with one or two clicks to get the games. The question is do you want to pay $5/month to add something additional to your cost.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The last question was really poorly worded.

Do I want to pay $4.99 a month to ESPN+ for UConn exclusive content? No. No. No. I'd much rather pay it to any other streaming service.

If the questions was worded "If the only way to see UConn content is via ESPN+ are you willing to pay $4.99/month? Yes, Yes, Yes.

A really good survey would have followed up with a range of prices you'd be willing to pay. For me, a number between $10-$20/month would have been checked off.

But, I took the survey twice and answered the last question "no" the first time and "yes" the second time to nullify my votes.

Reaction Score
I hope people re-read this thread in about 5 years. The cable bundle is in secular decline and down the road, I think the conference networks will become ala carte for most of us. Even now, most sports channels for me are in premium tiers. And the cost of the premium tiers go up all the time.

If you have a modern TV, internet channels are listed in your guide. I can watch internet games on SECN+, ACCNE, ESPN3, as I write this. Watching the games is easy with one or two clicks to get the games. The question is do you want to pay $5/month to add something additional to your cost.
And that answer for UConn specifically is no when it's going to cost us money from losing our own TV deal with SNY

Reaction Score
I don't have cable; I stream YouTubeTV (no price increase that I'm aware of). I answered NO to the final question. Even if the question was worded as Chin Diesel suggests: "If the questions was worded "If the only way to see UConn content is via ESPN+ are you willing to pay $4.99/month?" I'd answer NO; but in reality I'd probably pay it ....assuming both Football and Men's Basketball upped their collective games. With the product we have been watching .. it's a hard NO.

Reaction Score
The last question was really poorly worded.

Do I want to pay $4.99 a month to ESPN+ for UConn exclusive content? No. No. No. I'd much rather pay it to any other streaming service.

If the questions was worded "If the only way to see UConn content is via ESPN+ are you willing to pay $4.99/month? Yes, Yes, Yes.

A really good survey would have followed up with a range of prices you'd be willing to pay. For me, a number between $10-$20/month would have been checked off.

But, I took the survey twice and answered the last question "no" the first time and "yes" the second time to nullify my votes.

I’m not paying ESPN anything and advise nobody else does either. I can’t kick this can down the road forever. I’m already pretty disinterested in the opponents. Pay to watch Tulane, ECU etc.? Not fair. We should be in the ACC. Now I have to pay to see the carnage?

Next you’ll tell me if UConn doesn’t have lots of paying fans, we’ll miss out next time realignment comes around. I’ve got news for you, we aren’t going anywhere a bunch of Cuse grads run the entrance gate. Stop enabling ESPN. Make our politicians fight.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And that answer for UConn specifically is no when it's going to cost us money from losing our own TV deal with SNY
I think people are too focused on the loss of $1 million of revenue from WBB tier 3 rights. Heck, we can get a $1 million payday football game every year. I agree that we should try to keep the SNY deal for exposure, but I watched most UConn games with no SNY and only ESPN3. The only way for UConn to get to the P5 or whatever comes next is to have a competitive football program which means AAC. IMHO, the Big East and basketball centric schools have major challenges going forward.

Reaction Score
People spend endless hours posting on the Boneyard but won’t pay $4.99 a mont to watch the UConn sports they spend endless hours posting about. :confused:
Not saying I wont be watching. Just saying that I wont be paying ESPN for the privileged.

Reaction Score
What does UConn plan on doing if the results of this survey do not favor the new media deal that includes ESPN Plus, and no SNY? I highly doubt a lot of the older fans even have smart phones or tablets let alone have any idea about streaming content through an app. I heard it took a few years for some fans to finally get used to losing womens games from CPTV. This is going to be a disaster. I know streaming is the future and all, but I dont think people are ready for an abrupt change so soon.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I'm not paying the bloodsucking vermin in Bristol one more penny than they already get from me indirectly from my ESPN package of channels on Directv. Disney can shove it.

Reaction Score
I really hope that last question comes back at 90%+ saying no. Screw putting our games behind a paywall. Screw ESPN.

Reaction Score
People spend endless hours posting on the Boneyard but won’t pay $4.99 a mont to watch the UConn sports they spend endless hours posting about. :confused:
and personally, I dont spend $150 on TV a month so I dont get most of the stations our games appeared on. I'm happy to pay 5$ a month for half the year to see all of my team's games, but I understand why people might think this is bad for the long run or visibility for our team. As long as we start winning games, the team will be seen, and I think the future of TV is in low cost plans for individual channels or groups of them.

Reaction Score
I really hope that last question comes back at 90%+ saying no. Screw putting our games behind a paywall. Screw ESPN.

Sorry, do you think the games are free for all to see? I would have to pay I think like $20 more a month to add ESPN channels to my TV package, and more to get CBS SN. For me, ESPN+ for $5 a month is a better option

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Personally, I would pay $1M/mo to watch UConn games. It's figuring out how to only pay for the sports that I actually watch: UConn, MLB, NFL, NHL that is the problem. I will never watch ACCN, B10N, PACN, B12N, SECN or any other college conference network for as long as UConn is on the outside of the club.

But this survey didn't ask an important question: "does removing UConn from SNY hurt UConn?". That is an emphatic yes. We have to maintain and develop our strong foothole in the NYC DMA with or without P5 affiliation. Ending our long term relationship with SNY is not good for UConn and it's also not good for SNY.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
and personally, I dont spend $150 on TV a month so I dont get most of the stations our games appeared on. I'm happy to pay 5$ a month for half the year to see all of my team's games, but I understand why people might think this is bad for the long run or visibility for our team. As long as we start winning games, the team will be seen, and I think the future of TV is in low cost plans for individual channels or groups of them.

if you think we are headed towards low cost plans for individual channels that show sports... turn 180 degrees.

its the opposite.

Reaction Score
But this survey didn't ask an important question: "does removing UConn from SNY hurt UConn?". That is an emphatic yes. We have to maintain and develop our strong foothole in the NYC DMA with or without P5 affiliation. Ending our long term relationship with SNY is not good for UConn and it's also not good for SNY.
I’m not so sure of that. I remember when the Red Sox moved to NESN and weren’t on free TV anymore. People were mad and said the Red Sox would be hurt. They weren’t.

Remember the concerns when the UConn women went from CPTV to SNY, a free channel to a pay channel? The UConn women thrived.

All of games will be available in NYC on ESPN+. People will find and watch the content.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I’m not so sure of that. I remember when the Red Sox moved to NESN and weren’t on free TV anymore. People were mad and said the Red Sox would be hurt. They weren’t.

Remember the concerns when the UConn women went from CPTV to SNY, a free channel to a pay channel? The UConn women thrived.

All of games will be available in NYC on ESPN+. People will find and watch the content.

The Red Sox made paid a mint to moving to cable.

UConn got paid to move to SNY - that’s why they did it.

Tulsa and Tulane got 1/12th of the value of burying UConn women’s basketball.

The whole this is in front of technology argument would have weight if they got paid. They got the opposite of paid. They had dogcrap programs steal their value.

C

Chief00

What does UConn plan on doing if the results of this survey do not favor the new media deal that includes ESPN Plus, and no SNY? I highly doubt a lot of the older fans even have smart phones or tablets let alone have any idea about streaming content through an app. I heard it took a few years for some fans to finally get used to losing womens games from CPTV. This is going to be a disaster. I know streaming is the future and all, but I dont think people are ready for an abrupt change so soon.

This is indicative of everything about UConn, Conference realignment and TV packages. If in business you are not giving impactful input upfront and in private before the decision is made - something is wrong. Perhaps we tried and were trivialized. Either way it’s not a good sign when we have to go Joe Fan survey petition on it.

Reaction Score
The Red Sox made paid a mint to moving to cable.

UConn got paid to move to SNY - that’s why they did it.

Tulsa and Tulane got 1/12th of the value of burying UConn women’s basketball.

The whole this is in front of technology argument would have weight if they got paid. They got the opposite of paid. They had dogcrap programs steal their value.
Yes, the Sox ( and Yankees with YES) made a killing moving to cable. I was referring to exposure and ability to watch games.

I find it hard to believe that UConn women’s basketball fans won’t pay $60 per year to watch 12 to 15 games per year plus a coaches show. $60 is about the cost for 2 people to go to one game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom