UConn athletic director David Benedict searching for next football coach: "We need some charisma" | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn athletic director David Benedict searching for next football coach: "We need some charisma"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
His #1 son alone is worth $40 million, not bad for a former UConn football player. Both sons are in the family business. If Robert Sr was given some say in who Uconn hires, he would make a huge donation in a heartbeat, not sure though if Benedict would want to walk down that road.
You just said the business went bankrupt. Why would UConn football be a priority?

Reaction Score
You just said the business went bankrupt. Why would UConn football be a priority?
Um…………….no, I said they filed a chapter 11. Chapter 11 is not really a bankruptcy, it’s more a reorganization of assets, the business still functions, and can borrow money against its assets. Chapter 7 or 13 are where you lose everything and your assets are sold off. Ok boys and girls, schools over.

Reaction Score
Was UConn football a priority when Burton gave them money to build the Family Football Complex? Most of Burton’s money is in his Hedge Fund. Okay? Do you understand now?

Reaction Score
Huh? He could leave tomorrow and get a P5 job…
You’re living in your own private Idaho. He has zero football credibility. Overseeing one of the worst FBS programs and stewarding it from a legit edge candidate for Big 12 expansion to a non-factor doesn’t fly. Moving a state flagship to the Faux BigEast to save basketball and banishing football to Siberia does not a P5 AD make. There isn’t a group of P5 Trustees anywhere that would underwrite that risk. NFW.

Reaction Score
You’re living in your own private Idaho. He has zero football credibility. Overseeing one of the worst FBS programs and stewarding it from a legit edge candidate for Big 12 expansion to a non-factor doesn’t fly. Moving a state flagship to the Faux BigEast to save basketball and banishing football to Siberia does not a P5 AD make. There isn’t a group of P5 Trustees anywhere that would underwrite that risk. NFW.
I think you’re full of it. Benedict fired Edsall faster than Cary Grant running from an airplane.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

You sir must be confused. Warde Manuel left UConn's AD and got the AD job at MICHIGAN. Do you realize how bad Warde was at his job? Yet he got a job at a top 5-10 AD, yet you think AD David Benedict won't get a P5 job by successfully landing the basketball program somewhere. As a fanbase we deserve what we are getting.....

Reaction Score

I pretty much agree with your posts but you’re wrong on this one BlueDogs. Benedict saved our basketball program, hired a guy in Edsall because he knew the football program and brought it to prominence at one point, so he was hoping to get that same result while he was tied up with Diacos buyout, he couldn’t afford to hire a more expensive coach. He gave Edsall a chance and once the fan base was fed up so was Benedict and canned him. The independence is not his fault, he tried to move all sports to BigEast and keep football in the American, but Aresco was not having that and booted the football program, so independent was the best move. Bowl Tie ins will come in time this move is still fresh. IMO he’s done a hell of a job and can get a job in a sec if he were to leave here.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Because football drives the bus?

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Let the state figure that out, UCONN does not own it any way and pays rent out of the wazooooo..
There is literally NO WAY the Rent will be abandoned for an on-campus stadium. Not one iota of a chance of that happening. It's here....it's a better stadium than a lot of FBS schools play in, and it's not going anywhere for a long time. It's up to the program to live up to the expectations when that stadium was built and get it filled up again. A stadium on campus is a dream on a ship that sailed long ago. Blaming the location of the stadium for the current status of the football program is a red herring.

Fix the program, fill the Rent.

Reaction Score
We've beat this to death, but I love the Rent. It is convenient, has good beer and food options and it is comfortable (chairbacks). All complaints about the seats being empty due to location are unfounded. We won, the seats were filled. We lost, the seats were empty.

The last two Ollie years showed that even the basketball team would have lousy attendance on campus if the team stunk.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
We've beat this to death, but I love the Rent. It is convenient, has good beer and food options and it is comfortable (chairbacks). All complaints about the seats being empty due to location are unfounded. We won, the seats were filled. We lost, the seats were empty.

The last two Ollie years showed that even the basketball team would have lousy attendance on campus if the team stunk.
Not to mention that Rentschler is convenient to highways for all those not already in Eastern CT. I love going to BB games at Gampel, but it's a hike, and I'm in North Central CT. I know students have to be shuttled to the Rent, but let's face it...the students haven't been packing the place, either.

Reaction Score
It doesn’t matter where the stadium is - if the football team is horrendous students aren’t showing up. When we were winning the students showed up and were loud.

Location of the Rent is not an issue. At all.

And it is a beautiful facility - I have been to college stadiums all over the United States. The Rent compares very favorably. Tailgating atmosphere stacks up with many as well.

CL82

Reaction Score
It doesn’t matter where the stadium is - if the football team is horrendous students aren’t showing up. When we were winning the students showed up and were loud.

Location of the Rent is not an issue. At all.

And it is a beautiful facility - I have been to college stadiums all over the United States. The Rent compares very favorably. Tailgating atmosphere stacks up with many as well.
Agree largely, although I do believe that having an on campus stadium makes it easier for kids to get in the habit of watching UConn football... and turning alumni into fans is the life's blood of a football program.

I agree too, that the Rent is a great place to see a game, and compares favorably to a lot of schools stadiums. Quick question, in your travels, just how many of those stadiums were off campus?

The Rent is a good stadium and I'm happy to have it, but putting it off campus was a dumb reactionary move to losing the Pats.

Reaction Score
They aren't using their last few hundred million for UConn.
If their "last few" hundred million has appreciated with the Markets, they have an extra $50-100 million since we got bigger and stronger. But you can understand the hesitance of not wanting to dump money into a lost cause, so evaluating who and what you are investing in before making that commitment would be reasonable precaution to take.

Reaction Score
Agree largely, although I do believe that having an on campus stadium makes it easier for kids to get in the habit of watching UConn football... and turning alumni into fans is the life's blood of a football program.

I agree too, that the Rent is a great place to see a game, and compares favorably to a lot of schools stadiums. Quick question, in your travels, just how many of those stadiums were off campus?

The Rent is a good stadium and I'm happy to have it, but putting it off campus was a dumb reactionary move to losing the Pats.
It would be interesting to learn from former recruits if the off-campus stadium played a role in their decision to go elsewhere.

CL82

Reaction Score
It would be interesting to learn from former recruits if the off-campus stadium played a role in their decision to go elsewhere.
I’d be surprised if that was the case. It would have to be a pretty close decision for that to be the dealbreaker.

Reaction Score
You sir must be confused. Warde Manuel left UConn's AD and got the AD job at MICHIGAN. Do you realize how bad Warde was at his job? Yet he got a job at a top 5-10 AD, yet you think AD David Benedict won't get a P5 job by successfully landing the basketball program somewhere. As a fanbase we deserve what we are getting.....
The two aren't remotely similar for any number of reasons which I won't elucidate. And, yes, Warde was a total, clown just trying to not make waves.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Think we could lure PJ Fleck away from Minnesota? This is the kind of charisma we need.

He was the top guy many of us wanted instead of Retread Randy. His successor Tim Lester could be a candidate though

Reaction Score
Speaking of there are 2 pretty well known programs, who have recruited well over the years, play as far if not farther off-campus last I checked. Plus UCLA and Miami have even a longer drive than the Uconn students considering the traffic they deal with.

Reaction Score
We have an off campus stadium. I’d rather be on campus but wishing won’t make it so. Bottom line if we start winning with an exciting brand of football the Rent will again become the place to be on Saturdays in the fall. Recruits will play anywhere if they can win and showcase their talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom