UConn athletic director David Benedict searching for next football coach: "We need some charisma" | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn athletic director David Benedict searching for next football coach: "We need some charisma"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not sure I would call what Diaco had charisma. He had something... But that ain't it.

Diaco with each passing day revealed himself more and more to be a disoriented jackwagon. Remember the bucket hat because he was afraid of the sun? If he did not look like a model he would never been hired as head coach. Susan? Rock star? $337,000.00 a year to teach a course!

Reaction Score
If they ever do put a football stadium in Storrs, I would move EO Smith to a new location when the building needs to be rebuilt and build a stadium on the former EO Smith. On campus. Walking distance to most dorms. Close to athletic facilities. And, they already have a football field on campus! Near Storrs Center.

Can be reached from both 195 North and South and S Eagleville Rd. And, if the state of Connecticut wanted to rejuvenate economic development in Eastern Connecticut, they would finish the 11 mile section of I-384 to connect Bolton and WIllimantic.

They just put a new roof with more insulation on E O Smith last year. There are town influencers that want E O Smith where it is to pump money into Storrs downtown as UConn students leave in early May and high school is in session until at least mid June. A UConn stadium was proposed on the west side of Rt 195 back in the 1980 timeframe just north of the water towers and this is still open land. The big problem is there are no parking garages in that area. E O Smith should have been moved to Rt 44 and Rt 32 the Mansfield Training school site when E O Smith was upgraded in the late 90's and the E O Smith land sold to UConn. That ship has sailed.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I think Benedict realizes that the Edsall hire took the life out of the program. A change needed to happen with Diaco...but it was the wrong change.

Look at this board...we haven't seen this many posters on this board in years. Sure some are just miserable trolls who come out when the program struggles....but there are a lot of real fans on here who seem energized by the prospect of change.

Reaction Score
For those of you who are doubting AD David Benedict, this one is his call and his call only. He is a sharp guy and he is a former football player. He knows exactly what he is looking for.
@hardcorehusky not singling you out and this is no attack on your point. I agree with it but it should be noted somewhere in thread after thread and post after post nobody mentions Randy was DB's hire. I get he was getting his feet wet at a school with limited budget etc, but the point remains it was his hire. He has to hit the ball out of the park on this one.

So much smoke and mirrors, it's silly. Randy who constantly repeats "I look out my office window and see players getting better every day" and has to tell them every day "never quit" and two games into the season he quits !!! Then wants the last day of work to be the end of the season ???
Randy was a low budget hire in a low budget land and was able to get his son a D1 assistant job in the mix. Randy's salary should have ended the day he quit and the faux consultant / advisor to the AD designation terminated immediately. With money released there going to the new offense annalist.

Would simply love to know just what advice Dave is taking and getting our money's worth from Randy between now and Dec 1.
The jokes on me I pay for this ..... :confused: ..... :( ..... Head bang

Reaction Score
Woof, there is no way he voluntarily “quit” two weeks ago. I’m sure he knew he was about to get canned, either told directly or the handwriting was on the wall. Im also sure when realizing having RE say on until the end of the year was untenable, he cut him lose.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
@hardcorehusky not singling you out and this is no attack on your point. I agree with it but it should be noted somewhere in thread after thread and post after post nobody mentions Randy was DB's hire. I get he was getting his feet wet at a school with limited budget etc, but the point remains it was his hire. He has to hit the ball out of the park on this one.

So much smoke and mirrors, it's silly. Randy who constantly repeats "I look out my office window and see players getting better every day" and has to tell them every day "never quit" and two games into the season he quits !!! Then wants the last day of work to be the end of the season ???
Randy was a low budget hire in a low budget land and was able to get his son a D1 assistant job in the mix. Randy's salary should have ended the day he quit and the faux consultant / advisor to the AD designation terminated immediately. With money released there going to the new offense annalist.

Would simply love to know just what advice Dave is taking and getting our money's worth from Randy between now and Dec 1.
I’ll say it again, most coaches have multi-year buyouts. Dave gave Randi a “extension” and name only and he’s only paying him through the end of the year. That’s a good deal in the coaching world. It’s tough to be mad at Benedict over that.

Reaction Score
They just put a new roof with more insulation on E O Smith last year. There are town influencers that want E O Smith where it is to pump money into Storrs downtown as UConn students leave in early May and high school is in session until at least mid June. A UConn stadium was proposed on the west side of Rt 195 back in the 1980 timeframe just north of the water towers and this is still open land. The big problem is there are no parking garages in that area. E O Smith should have been moved to Rt 44 and Rt 32 the Mansfield Training school site when E O Smith was upgraded in the late 90's and the E O Smith land sold to UConn. That ship has sailed.
That cornfield, North of Towers, & extending behind Mansfield Supply was talked about as you stated for a stadium complex whenever the subject of elevation of football to 1-A (FBS) was brought up. Town of Mansfield would always shoot it down. As far as parking, there is that commuter lot (W?) that had a back driveway attaching to the Towers Dorms lot & the shuttle bus system that could run from other lots on campus.

Reaction Score
I’d actually argue that his charisma was one of the few things he had going for him. It was everything else that led to the dumpster fire.
I guess charisma does not = getting great recruits. I wish I had $20 for every recruits dad who thought Diaco was full of poo poo. I know that for a fact.

Reaction Score
Woof, there is no way he voluntarily “quit” two weeks ago. I’m sure he knew he was about to get canned, either told directly or the handwriting was on the wall. Im also sure when realizing having RE say on until the end of the year was untenable, he cut him lose.
From the Mike Anthony article above…

-> The day after the Holy Cross loss, a Sunday, Benedict reached out to Edsall to set up a Monday meeting. Edsall called Benedict back and said he was going to retire at the end of the season and that announcement was made. On Monday, UConn announced that Edsall would instead depart his role immediately.

“I was caught a little off guard,” Benedict said. “He wanted to announce it quickly. … Given some time to think about it and have some conversations, we just got to a place where [his immediate departure] was the best decision for the team. It’s that simple.

“I don’t know that it’s appropriate to get into a conversation about why I think it didn’t work out. I’ll do a lot of soul searching on that as we move forward, because that’s something we have to take into consideration as we look at the type of person we want to come in.” <-

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
From the Mike Anthony article above…

-> The day after the Holy Cross loss, a Sunday, Benedict reached out to Edsall to set up a Monday meeting. Edsall called Benedict back and said he was going to retire at the end of the season and that announcement was made. On Monday, UConn announced that Edsall would instead depart his role immediately.

“I was caught a little off guard,” Benedict said. “He wanted to announce it quickly. … Given some time to think about it and have some conversations, we just got to a place where [his immediate departure] was the best decision for the team. It’s that simple.

“I don’t know that it’s appropriate to get into a conversation about why I think it didn’t work out. I’ll do a lot of soul searching on that as we move forward, because that’s something we have to take into consideration as we look at the type of person we want to come in.” <-
Ok...so now it's confirmed... Benedict wanted to fire Edsall...Edsall tried to retire and Benedict went along with the ploy at first but changed his mind and fired him the next day.

Seems a little sloppy.

At first I was ok with the retirement, but I like where it ended up. I guess Benedict was in the same place...at first he was ok with Edsalls retirement plan, but probably after checking in with donors he decided to go with his first plan.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Ok...so now it's confirmed... Benedict wanted to fire Edsall...Edsall tried to retire and Benedict went along with the ploy at first but changed his mind and fired him the next day.

Seems a little sloppy.

At first I was ok with the retirement, but I like where it ended up. I guess Benedict was in the same place...at first he was ok with Edsalls retirement plan, but probably after checking in with donors he decided to go with his first plan.
Oh...and I will add....and I am disappointed to be saying this...this exit really hurts Edsalls legacy at UConn. Even more than the horrific results in his second go round.

The one thing I always gave Randy credit for was being a man of integrity. Doing things the right way. Being a role model for his players. Sure he was stubborn and cranky, but he ran a clean program and he really developed his players. I admired how he handled the Jasper Howard tragedy. His interview after the Notre Dame win actually brought a tear to my eye.

Then....we got a peak into the real Randy with his hasty exit to Maryland. To his credit...he owned up to that mistake and apologized upon his return to UConn. The only thing I felt good about when Randy returned was that I thought he was a good leader who would instill the right values in the team.

Now....another messy exit. Another exit where Randy isn't transparent...doesn't take accountability...and leaves without doing the right thing.

He is not the man or leader I thought he was. And that's disappointing.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think Benedict realizes that the Edsall hire took the life out of the program. A change needed to happen with Diaco...but it was the wrong change.

Look at this board...we haven't seen this many posters on this board in years. Sure some are just miserable trolls who come out when the program struggles....but there are a lot of real fans on here who seem energized by the prospect of change.

It was the economical, safe play. Didn't work. That doesn't mean the thought process behind the decision was wrong.

There is not a lot right with the program right now. Maybe this independent thing will attract better players, maybe it won't. Same for the new coach, but one thing is clear. We can't point back to our rise from trailers to a 3 year run of above average results as the benchmark any longer. This is a bottom feeding program that is not commensurate with the AD/school that it represents and it will take resources, patience, a bunch of missteps and some luck to change that.

Hopefully the time to climb out of this will arrive shortly.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

Seems a little sloppy.

I think the thought of what the final 10 games would do to the program, changed his mind. With Spanos, some will keep grinding. With a lame duck Edsall, the % of players, coaches, and recruits checking out would be turned up full blast.

There was really no upside for Randy staying. Imagine the Purdue loss with him here or worse not making a change at QB?

Reaction Score
Edsall finally faced accountability. Something that was never in place in his second go around. Benedict gave Edsall way too much rope. Hope DB learned something.
He did learn something, answer the phone when Mr Burton calls. Burton hated the Pasqualoni hire, and he had Hathaway fired for it. Burton and his two sons, one of whom was team captain of the 1999 Huskies could easily come up with major bucks for a new coach. The family business filed for chapter 11 but the personal wealth of the family is still several hundred million.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Seems a little sloppy.

What’s missing from the public story is that the kids and the coaches wanted Edsall fully out of the picture. No one wanted to be stuck playing 10 more games under this tight control using his philosophies when it was bearing zero fruit. The kids and the coaches went to AD David Benedict and asked for a clean break and with that it was an easy decision to skip the 10 game sunset plan.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score

No offense taken. I still feel Randy wasn't his first choice- but the budget was sunk with Diaco's buyout and that dictated what he could do and couldn't. Totally different aside, why can't Athletics borrow the money from the UConn Foundation instead of it coming out of budget?

Reaction Score
He did learn something, answer the phone when Mr Burton calls. Burton hated the Pasqualoni hire, and he had Hathaway fired for it. Burton and his two sons, one of whom was team captain of the 1999 Huskies could easily come up with major bucks for a new coach. The family business filed for chapter 11 but the personal wealth of the family is still several hundred million.
They aren't using their last few hundred million for UConn.

Reaction Score
Oh...and I will add....and I am disappointed to be saying this...this exit really hurts Edsalls legacy at UConn. Even more than the horrific results in his second go round.

The one thing I always gave Randy credit for was being a man of integrity. Doing things the right way. Being a role model for his players. Sure he was stubborn and cranky, but he ran a clean program and he really developed his players. I admired how he handled the Jasper Howard tragedy. His interview after the Notre Dame win actually brought a tear to my eye.

Then....we got a peak into the real Randy with his hasty exit to Maryland. To his credit...he owned up to that mistake and apologized upon his return to UConn. The only thing I felt good about when Randy returned was that I thought he was a good leader who would instill the right values in the team.

Now....another messy exit. Another exit where Randy isn't transparent...doesn't take accountability...and leaves without doing the right thing.

He is not the man or leader I thought he was. And that's disappointing.
I agree with the values but it’s do as I say not as I do.

Reaction Score
What’s missing from the public story is that the kids and the coaches wanted Edsall fully out of the picture. No one wanted to be stuck playing 10 more games under this tight control using his philosophies when it was bearing zero fruit. The kids and the coaches went to AD David Benedict and asked for a clean break and with that it was an easy decision to skip the 10 game sunset plan.
FACT..

Reaction Score
And a stadium. Here's a nice spot on Discovery Drive. 195 is on the other side of the field towards the left.

View attachment 69772
Agree 100000%!!! The stadium has to be on campus, that just would put the ribbon on the present! Some day I hope, if Big Boy football remains and they want to draw players and fans to the program, put it on campus and stop lugging kids on school buses going to a field trip while in middle school.

Reaction Score
Route 6 (I-384) needs to be built, BUT NIMBYs are always complaining. We should rebuild the Midland route (East Hartford to Willimantic railroad). The railroad can be a passenger/freight operation, but the G&W doesn't like passenger trains. Have the Connecticut Eastern RR Museum run the passenger trains. Even from Willimantic to East Hartford for students and citizens of Eastern CT.

Now, if you build a stadium on campus, what should we do with the Rent? I doubt you'll see an on campus stadium at UConn in the near future...The politicians (especially East Hartford's politicians) would veto it...
Let the state figure that out, UCONN does not own it any way and pays rent out of the wazooooo..

Reaction Score
They aren't using their last few hundred million for UConn.
His #1 son alone is worth $40 million, not bad for a former UConn football player. Both sons are in the family business. If Robert Sr was given some say in who Uconn hires, he would make a huge donation in a heartbeat, not sure though if Benedict would want to walk down that road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom